Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Get an Import!
By DIsappointed

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this for two years and have been to the shop numerous times. The handle on the rear door has fallen off three times, for no reason at all. Since the dealership cannot fix it right, my husband has finally just bolted it to work and stay on. We also have had the radio/CD/Tape console replaced. The mileage could be better. The third row seat can only comfortably seat 3 kids. As I write this, it is broken down at the bus stop and I had to haul my 5 & 3 year old home in the rain! I have owned Hondas since 1992 and decided to take a chance on this Ford due to the great price. Sometimes you get what you pay for! Take my advice, buy the Honda. I know I will next time.

Sliding doors, storage space, fold down third seat.

rear door handle, electrical system, cheap interior, gas mileage

Nice van for the money
By Stephen

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our 2004 Ford Freestar Limited after several months of researching several brands of minivans. Our van is completely loaded and has the Advance Trac and traction control.

The van's interior is well thought out and the 4.2 motor performs well. I also like the safety feature of the Advance trac and traction control.

Poor gas mileage

Ford Freefall
By jgenovese

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 45000 miles without warning. The vehicle was impeccably maintained. The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. Of course, this was after the warranty was up, (barely), so Ford is hanging us out to dry. So much for rewarding customer loyalty. (This was the 9th new Ford I have bought in 23 years.)

Issue a recall on the defective transmissions before someone gets killed when theirs fails without warning.

Alright Van
By portoluri

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It is big inside and the captain's chairs and double open doors work well with a 2 yr old and newborn. I have had problems with the sliding doors sticking, and he brakes you practically have to put your foot to the floor to stop, and when at the shop they say there's nothing wrong w/the brakes, and I always have a vibrating steering wheel, which they say the car just needs to "warm up". I had an SUV before and get about the same gas mileage as I did with that for city 15-18 miles, w/gas at over $3 a gallon, it's very expensive! The paint has chipped off from the radio controls, Overall, there is a lot of space and rides nice. Don't know if I would buy another van or Ford van again.

Dual control heat/cool for the front and the rear heat/cool, ride, seats are comfortable, the fold down back seat, the storage area in the "trunk" holds strollers and all the other stuff for the kids, acceleration. I love having the controls for the radio on steering wheel

Brakes, fold flat seats in the middle, better gas mileage, awd version. We bought is used at a good price, but the price new is extremely high

My 2004 Ford Freestar Van
By Al Hudgens

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Always wanted a van and purchased this to help my Mom move from Calif to Washington State and it performed great on the mountain highways. Plenty of room. Scheduled services priced way lower than my experience with a Honda Accord. Road noise is my only complaint.

Power driver's seat and good acceleration when needed.

Needs soundproofing somewhere to make it easier to hear my music.