Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Nannie's van
By nannieb43

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed driving and hauling with this vehicle for 4 yrs. Because of distance from town and present gas prices, I'm looking for a hybrid to replace it. I will miss the roominess and ability to haul almost anything I need.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat; cd/tape player/radio; sitting up high enough to see around me; & room to carry 6 more people and plenty of gear.

Suggested Improvements

More fuel efficient; better materials in handles/straps to lower & raise rear seat; & easier to crank switch.

Junk
By padge24

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Torque converter failed at 40,000 miles. Brakes are a constant issue, poor design. Gas mileage is worse than most other minivans. Save your money and look at a different brand of van. I have owned a Ford Escort, Taurus, Ranger p/u, Explorer and currently also drive an F150 p/u. I don't have any complaints with any of those vehicles but the Freestar is a piece of junk. Hope I was clear.

Favorite Features

DVD

Suggested Improvements

Start from scratch and redesign a whole new line of passenger vans. The torque converter/transmission issue is a common problem, probably should be a recall. Do not roll the dice, choose another brand.

Bought this brand new falling apart
By momma2

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this since my husband is an employee of Ford and we do everything suppose to change oil etc. Our warranty was up and that day our fuel gage went we got a fuel comm error not found on the manual called around to get prices Ford dealership wants to charge me 400 for diagnostic test not including to fix it. The traction control has a mind on its own works sometimes. I have a honda too its a 97 and we haven't had this many problems. I wanted to buy Ford since my husband works for them but We are already thinking about getting rid of it . They need to recall them!!!

Favorite Features

beautiful interior. Love the heated seats we have leather so wonderful leather.

Suggested Improvements

computer needs to be better. Gas mileage is horrible, the swaying is horrible and Traction control doesn't always work . And now our fuel gage doesn't work not sure if need new pump or not.

Flaw in brake cylinder design
By Israel Barbosa

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is not that good when negotiating a sharp, vehicle leans too much. Rear brake calipers cost me $499.00 they have to be replaced if they extend to far out. Was told by a large reputable brake company, that the caliper is poorly designed and this problem happens frequently with two Ford vans: the Freestar and the Freestyle. the company should address this flaw and replace them with a system that doesn't cost the consumer hundreds to replace Fords poorly designed rear brake system. looking forward to hear something from the Ford company, i'm tempted to inform consumer report, the media etc, etc. Also had to have my 6 cd player changed the disc were getting jammed.

Favorite Features

The stereo speaker controls are exceptional, love the seating design, love the power. Also love the design of the exterior of the van.

Suggested Improvements

The anti sway needs to be improved, if you hit a slight bump on a turn it sways out to far, can result in a collision. The Ford company should take the responsibility of calling in these vehicle to replace those defective poorly designed rear calipers so that we don't have to pay hundreds to replace

Not a soccer mom
By Ontoni

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a soccer mom but i have two teens and a big dog. this vehicle fits the bill. comfort, smooth ride and space. It may not be the fastest thing on the road but it will cruise up to 70 and you'll not even know how you got there.

Favorite Features

Built in DVD player

Suggested Improvements

Power doors, remote start, better active security system