2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
junk junk junk
By HORRRIBLE FORRRD on 08/27/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our van since 05. we have replaced transmission twice, rack, tires, brakes, now the passenger window motor is out which is the least of our problems, since our van will not go again, tranny shop apparently just doesn't want to deal with it, keep getting told to change this change that what a piece of crap. we are still making payments on it and haven't been able to drive it since June with three kids and two jobs just to get by i have to drive my winter vehicle to make it work which is horrible on gas and who can AFFORD to keep replacing parts to get it right, everyone keeps saying its something else with tranny but don't have another 3000 to fix that again guess I'm stuck

Transmission Problems
By G.D. Henderson on 09/05/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been good, except when it stranded me and my family in a remote stretch of Texas road when the transmission suddenly failed without any warning whatsoever. Turns out it was the faulty spline design of the torque converter, where the splines (gear type teeth) stripped out. Cost wss over $1200.00 for repair, $300.00 rental car and $200 towing - plus missing a family Labor Day gathering at my mothers. After reading of the huge number of transmission failures on this vehicle on other web sites, I now question the reliability of this vehicle and may shift over from Fords. Being a registered Mechanical Engineer, I know how important reliability is, especially for your family.

Not Built Ford Tough
By Robert M on 07/13/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 88000 miles.The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. this was 2 weeks before the warranty was up. and Ford of Canada is telling us to bad. they say water must have got into the transmission and that's what caused the internal parts to get rusty, but are not sure how it got in there. after calling them they tell us it's not covered. so much for "Built Ford Tough" & "Quality is #1"

Don't Buy unless you have lots of money!
By Honda 4 Me on 04/14/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well when buying this hellish nightmare called a freestar I thought I was going to be getting a good vehicle. Was I so wrong! About 30,000 km in I started to get a wheel noise brought back to dealer 3x's they couldn't hear it. I asked the mechanic and he said they know what it was but couldn't replace both. I was a bit peeve and now out of warranty I am more peeved! I have 85,000 km and now paint is peeling so I called to Ford today and asked what they are going to do about it and there response is it is your problem. It is a well know fact the primer on these Ford vans is no good! Also went to trade it in and only worth get ready for it $4,000 wow after shelling out $17,000 2 years ago!

Ford Freefall
By jgenovese on 12/06/07 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 45000 miles without warning. The vehicle was impeccably maintained. The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. Of course, this was after the warranty was up, (barely), so Ford is hanging us out to dry. So much for rewarding customer loyalty. (This was the 9th new Ford I have bought in 23 years.)

Very nice van
By Jakers on 07/07/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van after owning many Chrysler vans and like this one much better, has ample power, lots of options and no problems after 55,000 miles (90000 kilometers). Added the center analog clock and it dressed up the interior.

2004 ford freestar wow wow wow
By patrick 777 on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

this 2004 ford freestar is a real winner rides better than a lincoln town car gets almost 600 miles to the 26 gal tank wow wow wow very happy 3.9 liter eng is very powerful excellent on the highway good response and holds the road plenty of pep good on long trips very dependale get one today you wont be sorry also has a powerful stereo system ac is frezing cold no sway on the highway thank you ford for making this great vichele

Nice van
By otoniel on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This van is what people need. it's had a nice interior.