2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Multiple Problems
By minivanmom on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 04 freestar used in Oct 09 with 54k miles. Within 3 weeks of having it, the traction control light went on -- it goes on and off at will, mostly it is on all the time. This last summer, the AC went out. Had to get a new AC compressor for $600 dollars ... it was changed and the AC only worked in the front of the van, just blew hot air in the back. Mechanic tried to find the problem and changed the orifice tube, which was full of debris ... still no ac in the back. He said that there is likely debris throughout the entire system and would need an entire overhaul to repair the ac in the back. This weekend the transmission failed and it will cost $2500 to repair. DO NOT BUY ONE

Great van
By James Patterson on 07/01/10 23:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great van. Plenty of zip off the 4.2 L, and we can get 500+ miles to a tank (according to the digital readout) with only $40 in the tank. The van has so many features I still haven't gotten them all figured out. Very quiet inside while on the move. We opted out of the DVD system and tow package but we got everything else. We bought our own center console since ours didn't come with one. No major mechanical problems.

Transmission problems
By harold on 03/28/10 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have always owned Ford's until now. Freestar dumby lights kept coming on all ford dealers told me it is a dumby light, keep driving, turn car off and then go again. transmission is gone, it does nothing but shake and not want to go. it has 99,000 miles on it and ford says not there problem. we don't have $2500.or $3000.00 to fix it. I had the dvd player for kids but now nothing

04 Freestar Ltd
By Mike on 02/13/10 10:16 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used from a dealership. So far so good. Vehicle averages 17-19 mpg overall between a mix of 65% highway / 35% city driving. We almost opted not to get this car just because of all the negative mpg reviews. We test drove a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with cloth seats/ stow & go and were very close to purchase except for this Ford came to our attention with the same mileage and far more goodies (ltd package) for less. We have always owned GM vehicles, this is our first Ford. We also considered the Kia Sedona EX, but that model is near impossible to find for the same price. Ford won't let you down. I will say that we bought an extended warranty if anything happens..

Poor components
By Dr. Gonzo on 09/10/09 08:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van new. Main problems have been with poor components. Examples: Have had to replace both front power window motors, driver seat heater, driver seat adjustment motor, and 6CD/radio has been replaced TWICE, fuel pump died on the highway at 60K. Fortunately no problems with engine/transmission; not even leaking/burning oil with almost 90K on it. Poor fuel economy as I can only get to 18mpg on highway. I've owned Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mazda and Hyundai and this will likely be the last domestic vehicle I ever own.

Recall is Needed-Transmission
By Anabel on 08/20/09 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If the transmission issues would not happen. This van would be great. But the reliability of the vehicle and the safety of my children and whomever is in it comes first. This vehicle is unsafe. Please go to NHTSA or safercar.gov and draw your own conclusion.

Needs to be recalled
By Disappointed on 04/29/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the van for 4 years now. 3 weeks after purchase there were noises heard while driving under normal conditions. Took it to dealer twice; they said they found nothing. Trusted their opinion since they sell. Now a new problem...transmission gave in. Van is sitting in mechanics garage collecting dust until I can come up with at least $3000 for repairs. Also, driver side window motor needs to be replaced. Talked to some other mechanics and they're baffled why these problems occured on a 5-yr old vehicle under 100k miles. I'm not buying a Ford ever again.

another transmission failure
By Terri on 04/23/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i travel a lot. so i wanted a vehicle that would not wear me out when i drive. overall this van drives well over long distances. however, without warning, at 63,000 miles i attempted to put the van in gear - nothing. the "extended warranty" the dealership sold to me (AMERI GUARD) - said i did not have the 60,000 mile transmission service so (in their words) "we will not pay and are washing our hands of it"! so who actually takes their vehicle in at the exact mileage for maintenance? anyway, i think FORD is well aware they have major transmission issues for their 2004 and 2005 models and yet they do nothing about it! HONDA OR TOYOTA NEXT TIME!

Poor ratings
By shocked 1 on 11/18/08 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

In short, 3 years owner of 2004 Ford van, Freestar. No warning, trans quit! No safety recall? It's a major safety when you're in middle of a freeway and van litterally stops pulling! Come on Ford, own up. We're 60 & 70, can't just go & buy new car! Ford wants a loan, but won't help fellow customers over bad workmanship? Poor, poor bussines. Never will our families or friends buy Ford!

Ford Freestar Review
By Lisa on 06/20/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My minivan is great exept for 2 things. Acording to my digital dashboard, my fuel economy is currently 14.9. Not so good at $4.00 a gallon gas. My brakes are squeaky. I have had them checked several times, and the brake pads are fine. I was told it's a "Ford thing".