Used 2004 Ford Freestar SES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

buyer beware
By jessica2004

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my husband and I just bought our freestar 5 months ago and have had nothing but bad luck. had it in the shop within the first 3000 miles of owning it 4 times. the steering wheel shakes all the time, the transaxle light keeps coming on, new coil pak, 2 new crank shaft sensors, 2 new high speed output sensors and only 54000 miles on it. I didnt mention that it had a new transmission in it when we bought and we didnt realize it and by the way it has 59000 on it now and just had it towed to ford dealership this morning......needs new transmission AGAIN!!!!!!!! Do not buy this vehicle it is a money pit and a major lemon for the ford company. Every freestar needs to be recalled!!!

Favorite Features

we love the room and comfotability of riding in it when it runs.

Suggested Improvements

everything mechanical

Transmission Out at 97,000 miles
By jayman1201

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this thing in '06 with 67,000 miles on it. 1 year after purchase the AC went out. In '08 coming home from my sister's wedding in Canada, the transmission went out. Torque converter broke apart and screwed the Transmission. On 2nd one now and the 4th gear is shot in that. Worst vehicle ever. Ford should have had a recall notice on the transmission. Too common a problem not to address.

Water in trans twice
By tiger

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Title says it all new tires at 22,000 miles water in trans at 28,000 miles ign coil out at 29,500 oh water in trans again at 34,850 miles now sitting there till I get 2800 bucks and I'm on disability so 5 years I get it fixed bad on gas to hope another Katrina doesn't come

Favorite Features

nice ride

Suggested Improvements

recall recall recall

F-O-R-D
By Unsafe vehicle

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The traning went at 78oo's some miles and caught the fiberoptic system on FIRE!! GEE ANOTHER TRANSMISSION DOWN THE DRAIN, seems to be the thing with Freestar vans. I think there should be a CIVIL ACTION LAW SUITE against Ford. I sure hope the owner of FORD never gets in a Freestar and cathes fire. Thank god we are alive, we just made it out of the van!!

Suggested Improvements

WHERE'S THE RECALL ON THE FREESTAR, I want my money back!!

Don't bother
By Jennifer

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have had several problems with our Freestar. It was in the shop for over 3 weeks for the brake, ABS and battery light being on. It had a leak on the front passenger floor, they claim the fire wall was not sealed correctly. It is still leaking, as well as some where in the back, maybe the rear door, and out of nowhere the oil is leaking. Been keeping an eye on it while we find a reliable mechanic other than the dealership where we bought it. I drove it earlier to run errands and it was fine. My husband went to take it to run to the store and there oil is all over the driveway and it is making a weird noise that it shouldn't be making. I am a dedicated Ford owner but I will have to rethink it.

Favorite Features

Seeing as thought the paint is chipping off the stereo, I can't really say there is much to like about this vehicle since my stereo is my main favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Start over and junk this model. We have an F-550 diesel that has over 185k miles and it runs better than this.