2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Transmission
By Arlington on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a little over 92,000 miles on the van and the transmission went out. A list of problems was wrong with it for one is the torque converter. got it back and the EGR Valve went out.

My Money Pit is my Freestar
By Never a Ford Owner A on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This car has always been a problem. It squeaks, it groans and it is a money pit. Brake issues, air conditioning failures, different sensors needing to be replaced and now the transmission is shot. It will cost more to replace the transmission than the car is actually worth if I sold it on my own and not traded it in! I would not wish this car on my worst enemy, if I had an enemy that is. It is a miserable car. The only redeeming quality to it is the interior. I love the seats and the hauling capacity but there is absolutely nothing else good about this car. It is no surprise that Ford does not make a mini van anymore. What a lemon.

Yikes! Don"t ever purchase!
By Jim on 07/19/10 17:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Last September my wife and myself purchased one of these dang vans, well folks in been nightmare after nightmare. We'll put a whooping $5000 in repairs in the van to this point. Oil cooler lines and cooler. transmission, oh and another thing the three back spark plugs where ceased in the motor. And they where the original plugs. And then was the brakes. Another nightmare and another $1900. Yeah, if you're rich and want to get poor fast, then purchase on of these crappy, money taking vans. But don't say I didn't warn you. Run. If the dealer trying to sell you one. Fast! Are you running yet!

Bad Deal for Ford
By kim on 02/23/10 08:19 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

When my husband first brought van we had problems with the a/c not cooling like it supposed to. Brought it back to the dealership about 3 times for the a/c until they finally fixed it. Then for some unknown rest one of my hoses had gotten a hole in it and thats when more problems started. I have changed the mass air sensor on it now my egr vale needs changing, my brakes needs changing it kills on me at a red light or stop signs it is jerking on me while I am driving. My engine light stays on and goes off when it is ready. I don't want no more minivan or vehicles from ford.

Stay Away From This Car
By James on 02/03/10 09:13 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

After only 70,000 miles, the transmission of our 2004 Ford Freestar broke down. I was in the middle of traffic during rush hour with the car suddenly driving backwards after a brief red light. However, it didn't stop there. My car was towed to the dealership where they neglected it for a week. In total, they said that it would cost $3,600 just for fixing the transmission AND that didn't cover rental costs. All in all, I would definitely not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Buyer Beware.

BAD TRANSMISSION
By Tina on 11/22/09 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission went out at 50,000 miles without any warning. I was nearly hit as there was no shoulder to pull over to. I was accelerating around a corner then absoultely nothing. Without proof of transmission service at exactly no more than 30999 miles warrantee is void. NO transmission should go out at 50000 miles, yet Ford is not recalling this problem. Shame on you Ford. Never again.

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb on 08/28/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle that I have every owned. Feared for my safety in this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle ever again because of having such a bad experience with this vehicle. Review NHTSA site for numerous complaints.

2004 Ford Freestar is unreliable
By Lisa on 07/13/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Freestar new in 2004 and it has been a good car until the this year. I have 85000 miles on my Freestar and the transmission left me stranded on the side of the interstate with no warning at all. $3000 later I am back running. If you look at the Freestar forum on the Edmunds.com website you will see many others like me who have had transmission problems with all year models of the Freestar beginning at 42000 miles. I was lucky to get 85000 out of mine before it quit.

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb on 05/02/09 05:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle unless you have a lot of extra money to fix all the faults with it. My opinion of this vehicle is that Ford needs to recall this van. It stopped running twice while it was traveling thirty five mph, and once, as I was entering a high speed roadway. Reliability zero. I fear for my life when I drove it which I will no longer take that chance.

Like My Freestar
By Like My Freestar on 03/04/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased my Freestar Used from a dealer. Have owned Grand Caravans and Voyagers in the past. I LOVED the Freestar at first-then it wore off down to I really LIKE it! It has been very reliable in the past 18 months, never a repair or problem. It is fairly comfortable except for my teenage son who is medium-tall and can't get his legs comfortable anywhere in the back. That being said, The van is dependable and versatile. We have hauled lumber and pets, loaded it down to go camping. I would probably go back to Grand Caravan if looking for another minivan