Taking a chance with Ford.... So far, so good!
By noahsride on
2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
I've owned mostly imports for the past 10 yrs and I just decided to move on from my 07 Mazda3 with 160k on it, so I took advantage of Black Friday and got a very good deal on a Focus Hatch Titanium. It came down to the Mazda3, Cruze Diesel, Golf Diesel or Focus. I was seeking MPGs, sportiness and comfort. All were great cars w/ their own pros/cons, something about the Focus grabbed me. Ford has caught my eye w/ their recent designs and I'd had a great experience w/ a Sport Trac so I decided to give Ford a try. So far the car has been awesome (~2k miles). I drive a ton for work, so I'll keep you posted on progress. If you're considering the Focus, I highly recommend it.
Favorite Features
Nimble handling, very comfortable seats, high quality upholstery (nicest fake leather out there!), technology - MyFord Touch has been awesome so far, SYNC is awesome... you can do everything by voice and its pretty capable. Fuel economy is legit. I'm getting 37-37 MPG on hwy and about 27-29 in city. Its as advertised.
Suggested Improvements
Nothing yet. I will re-post in the next 6 months or so when I will have about 10-15k on it.
By mattsride
on 04/05/14 19:39 PM (PDT)

Hi, I recently just bought a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback and like you, when I started looking at the car something about it grabbed me. I didn't do much homework on the car like I did all the others and pretty much took a leap of faith on the Ford name. After buying my focus I of course googled "problems with 2014 Ford Focus" and I've been reading a lot of forums that say the Focus has a problematic transmission. I was going to ask you how you are doing with your focus still today.

By bdruggan10r
on 05/26/14 03:14 AM (PDT)

mattsride: The transmission is fine. Ford's Power Shift is a dual clutch, so it feels and sounds odd but it's doing as it should. With dual clutch, one gear is shifting out of gear while the other is shifting into gear. It sounds like a slip in the gear but it is actually doing as it should. Don't let that fool you into thinking there is something wrong with the car. I believe that is what people are complaining about and just don't understand the concept. Besides, you can always go into sport shift mode and select the shift timing on your own.