2014 Ford Focus Consumer Review: First New Car

2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. FFV 6-speed Automated Manual)

First New Car
By justingreer on

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This is "my" first brand new car and I have to say, it is wonderful. My wife bought a brand new Mitsubishi in 2011 and my Focus has been a better experience all around.

The outside noise is minimal and the car drives and handles like a dream. I wanted a car that I did not have to drive white knuckled in traffic and this car has already proven to me that it is just what I was looking for.

The transmission seems a bit different than I am used to when taking off until about 20 mph (slower shifts, slightly jumpy, slippish almost). I am sure it will get better after breaking it in but overall this seems be something that others have experience as well. Learning the electronics was a task and I am pretty proficient with computers. After getting the hang of it it is nice but could be simplified some more.
By justingreer
on 05/18/15 08:34 AM (PDT)

I wanted to post an update to this review. I amthe original poster of this review from April 2014. The car has 30k on it now and ever since it hit 20k, the car has been in the shop for almost 60 days all together. The car sprung a valve cover gasket oil leak right after posting this review in 2014. 3 months later the check engine light came on and the car stalled at a stop on interstate 21N at a stop light. I have almost been involved in multiple accidents since due to the car losing all power. The car is on its fourth round in the shop for the same issue. The last time it was in the shop for over a month. The ECU was replaced along with a couple set of O2 sensors. The dealer hacked the harness up per Fords guidelines to find if there was a broken wire. When they did find a wire broken, the dealer asked Ford if they should replace the engine wire harness and was met with "No, return the car to the customer". If I could figure out how to edit my original review, I would reconsider giving the 2014 Ford Focus and rating over 2 stars for anything other than looks. Right now it is a lawn ornament while I wait for Ford to decide what they are wanting to do with it. The standard answer has been (and I am sure will always be) "take it to this dealer". I did file a complaint for a trade-in or reimbursement and I am waiting to hear back. The car is not safe at all and should be recalled. After a year, I see I am not the only one saying this. Please do not purchase or let someone purchase this car for any love ones or friends if you value yours or someone else's life.