Used 2014 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2 transmissions in one month
By Yolando

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus from Sunrise Ford in North Hollywood on February 20th, 2016. In April, the transmission light and a message gave me 5 minutes to pull over. The message read that the car was overheating. Transmission message appeared. I was traveling up a hill off Laurel Canyon. You could hear the gears every time you drove up a hill. I was in bumper to bumper traffic. The car was also rolling backwards. I know how that feels because I know how to drive a stick. It was a very hot day. Which is a trigger for the transmission. We took the car back to Sunrise. First, we were told that it was a computer chip malfunction. A module message. They said don't worry about it. It's a common message. Then we were given an appointment to replace the clutch and seals. The appointment was so far out because they were backed up due to so many appointments to repair transmissions. We dropped the car off on June 14. They had the car for 4 days. While they had the car we ask them to fix the windshield wipers and the speaker panel. We notice that in the early part of July the dashboard was malfunctioning. I have photos. The gas hand wouldn't move and the gas numbers, mileage numbers, degrees, and radio stations were jumping all over the place. The AC stop working properly. A few days ago we were approached by Sunrise to buy back our car. He said that the car had built up equity. My husband asked him how is that possible because it hasn't been 6 months yet. They offer us a lower payment and interest. My husband said no because it's a buy back scam buy Ford. Last night the car started to jerk, it wouldn't get out of first gear. We got the car home. It wouldn't start nor reverse. We had to push the car into our parking spot. The transmission service light is on. The car was making a rumbling sounds even though it was turned off. We picked up the car on after they replaced the transmission again. Guess what? The Gear is locked. I found out from an auto fraud attorney that the Sunrise is suppose to disclose to customers the issues with the transmission. I was told by a lemon law attorney and the fraud attorney that the car will never run correctly. When we dropped our car off the second time for service we came across frustrated owners dropping off their car for repairs.

Troubling Transmission!!!!
By Becky

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had trouble with my transmission since day one. Shuttering and shaking. Dealership told me it just needed to get some miles on it and it would smooth out. No such luck. Took it back. Had to have a new clutch put in. The shuttering and shaking continued. The dealership really doesn't want to help me. They have excuses about each episode I have had with the transmission. The car even started to roll backwards at a stop sign. This should NEVER happen. New clutch again. Now, we are on our third clutch and the problem isn't fixed. WHY???? Ford people - hello??? are you reading these reviews? You have a major problem with your transmissions in this car. Help!

runs good so far
By leo

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The engine is great and the dual clutch transmission is fun to use but you cannot drive like a grandma in low gears, just give it extra gas and it should be ok. I also start off in L gear and then shift it to drive at around 15mph. I was watching a ford tech on youtube saying you should also go from zero to 60 quickly 4 or 5 times and that will help your shudder and clutch problems in the lower gears. I really have only had one shudder but that was when I was light on the gas pedal at a very low speed....I also know someone who had trouble with a 2012 but it is now fine after stealer ship worked on it, cAR has 70k. Her son is a ford tech btw...hopefully I am one of the lucky ones. Anyways, I have a 64 mile round trip to work and my 2014 focus and 2007 5 speed focus that I sold never failed me. The 07 is still running with 165k on odometer...ford extended the transmission warranty to 100k on the dct. I use synthetic oil and engine is outstanding

My lemon Ford ...and I'm not talking about a color
By cinncy.ohio

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had repeated transmission issues with the Focus. The third time is certainly not a charm :( Both the dealership where it was purchased, and papa "Ford" do not stand behind the product they sell. Turn away now and run...don't look back, just keep running. This is not a safe car and once they have you hooked...it's your problem and not theirs.

Last Ford I will ever own after 20 years.
By nobrandnames

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I had ever owned in my life. My first Chevy as a teenager beats this junk, and it was total junk. Good luck with getting parts made in Mexico Ford; like the transmission. I am buying VW for now on. This is the first car and with only 20000 miles I can't wait to trade it in. I would trade it for a lawn mower; at least it will get me places. transmission skips and you take it in and they say it is fine. My old sales man offered to trade for a fusion but afraid trading it in for one piece of junk for another. I feel sorry for the person who bought a fiesta.