2014 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not Impressed at all
By Hypan

2014 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The transmission is a pure failure. Shutters like crazy under standard acceleration. The dealership and Ford are reluctant to provide a viable solution to this problem. I fear this car wont last at all. It will literally start shaking itself to pieces. Very dangerous when turning into streets as it just shitters and wont accelerate. During my research I have concluded that most (if not all) of the recent Focus models with auto trans suffer from this horrendous issue. Ford has been less than helpful in getting this straightened out. Very disappointed in the overall performance of this model as the looks and interior are top notch. Just steer clear of this one and save yourself the headache.

I should have heeded warnings.
By MollyRose

2014 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We purchased the Titanium package 2014 Focus in August 2014. It was sort of a rushed purchase because of a situation we had at home. At first we loved it. It was comfortable and efficient and looked pretty decent for a 4-door sedan. It now (Aug 2015) has about 4000 easy miles. It has always been babied and garaged and serviced regularly. We were thinking all along "why are people complaining about the Focus?" NOW we know. At the low mileage of 4000, last night the car showed us its real performance. It started jerking and fluttering and stopping and starting, really scary on the road. Then the engine light came on. We made it home thank goodness. We're taking it to the dealer Monday and I am already anticipating a scene or non-help from what I have read on numerous reviews. This really irks me. We bought a brand-new car thinking it would last at least 10 years for us (like most of our non-Ford cars have always done). This is our very first "lemon." What happens remains to be seen, but I am not optimistic. The salesman looked us straight in the eye on the day we purchased this car and smiled and said, this is a "great little car." What a joke. He HAD to know the problems.

Unforeseen Transmission Problems
By C Alan

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't like the transmission in my new 2014 Ford Focus the first time I test drove the car. I was told by my Ford dealer that it was a new system that would "adjust to my driving." It was fine for the first 7,500 miles but soon after it started to shutter, rumble, and vibrate at stops and jump while going into second gear. I haven't noticed any problems on the highway but in reading the other reviews, I'm scared. I just brought car in to the dealership where I bought it and they didn't appear to be upfront about the problems. When I badgered them, they told me the transmission was on an extended warranty and they have heard about the Focus's transmission problems. When I asked about a technical service bulletin regarding the transmission, they were once again quiet. They called me to say they weren't "experiencing anything too bad" and they would see if it met "Ford's specifications." I don't care if the car meets Ford's specifications or not. I am upset. I bought a new car and I expected it to work with a fully functional transmission and the dealership can tell me all day that there's nothing they can do because the car meets Ford's specifications. I'm not going to stop until I have a car that works like it should. If I could got back in time 11 months and tell myself to buy a Honda Fit, I would.

"I thought I was going to die driving this car"
By Cindy

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always purchased Ford products in the past but, I am really re-thinking did I get a lemon with this 2014 this Ford Focus You should feel safe when you drive a new car not worried about it bogging down on the road. I have taken my new car in twice now, once the dealership replace the clutch and now they replace the transmission modules. The dealership told me right off the bat there is backlog of cars waiting for a new clutches again. I drive on the highway and was horrified when I tried to get car to speed up so a semi-truck could get off the ramp and my car acted liked the transmission stuck in gear. I am scared to take my grandkids in my car just in case the transmission locks up and caused a wreck that could hurt them. If Ford can fix the problems in a timely manor either by putting another transmission in or they should have to buy the cars back from the customers for want they paid for them. Buyer beware please do research before you buy this type of car for your own safety.

Do your homework.
By atxaggie

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got thrown into buying this car for $12,000 with 14,000 miles. I originally thought that how it changed gears was just how I was driving in traffic. Until the other day when I was driving in traffic home from work and my car jolted forward. I googled and found out that my car was recalled last year and that these transmission issues are common. I called Ford to see when I could take my car in and the guy talked to me as if I was a stupid girl. They won't give me a loaner car either, even though this is their fault.