Used 2014 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

runs good so far
By leo

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The engine is great and the dual clutch transmission is fun to use but you cannot drive like a grandma in low gears, just give it extra gas and it should be ok. I also start off in L gear and then shift it to drive at around 15mph. I was watching a ford tech on youtube saying you should also go from zero to 60 quickly 4 or 5 times and that will help your shudder and clutch problems in the lower gears. I really have only had one shudder but that was when I was light on the gas pedal at a very low speed....I also know someone who had trouble with a 2012 but it is now fine after stealer ship worked on it, cAR has 70k. Her son is a ford tech btw...hopefully I am one of the lucky ones. Anyways, I have a 64 mile round trip to work and my 2014 focus and 2007 5 speed focus that I sold never failed me. The 07 is still running with 165k on odometer...ford extended the transmission warranty to 100k on the dct. I use synthetic oil and engine is outstanding

Last Ford I will ever own after 20 years.
By nobrandnames

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I had ever owned in my life. My first Chevy as a teenager beats this junk, and it was total junk. Good luck with getting parts made in Mexico Ford; like the transmission. I am buying VW for now on. This is the first car and with only 20000 miles I can't wait to trade it in. I would trade it for a lawn mower; at least it will get me places. transmission skips and you take it in and they say it is fine. My old sales man offered to trade for a fusion but afraid trading it in for one piece of junk for another. I feel sorry for the person who bought a fiesta.

Worse transmission
By Joe

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission on it is so poor if you rely on a car as much as I do you would probably stay away from this one . I was lucky I was not far from home . I was driving down the road and the transmission started slipping . I got home and had no reverse gear at all . That car left me completely stranded . Who ever`s idea of the Power Shift 6- speed transmission was , was not much of a contributor to strategic Air Power like General Curtis E. Lemay . As soon as the space weather confirms its okay launch , call in an SLBM strike from a Ballistic Missile Submarine on a Ford Focus Power Shift 6 speed transmission facility from SSBN734 . I would never want to drink the same water as [non-permissible content removed] over at the Ford Motor Company drinks .

Best daily driver I've owned
By Weldy McWeldski

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

**MANUAL 5 Speed Transmission** I purchased my focus in January of '15 for a little over $16,500. Ford was offering some massive model year end rebates and I couldn't have asked for a better price. I have put 45,000mi on the car since I purchased it and have had absolutely zero problems or complaints. (Still on original tires, brakes, etc.) Overall the focus offers decent fit and finish for its segment; my cloth seats are comfortable and supported, the gauge cluster is well laid out, etc. I'm 6'1" and can enter/exit or cruise long distances very comfortably. As with any car I've owned, I wish it had an extra 100hp,; but the 2.0l is plenty quick for what it is. The clutch engagement and pedal feedback are above average, the gearshift has a little slop but engages with confidence at every gate and provides a relatively short throw. Braking effort is mild, the focus stops quickly in an emergency but in everyday usage the rear drum brakes cause for a little more frontal braking dip than I'd prefer. Handling is excellent for the price: very responsive steering with little wheel effort and a firm but grippy stance. Suspension is on the firm side; though aside from lightly feeling every bump, it by no mean invokes discomfort.

Honestly, I beat the living crap out of this car. 6500rpm in 2nd gear while merging onto the freeway every day, double gear downshifts for passing, E-brake slides every time it snows, etc. I work in a steel mill with no paved roads, and this car handles potholes and ruts I'd never expect of something with such a low stance. I've nailed potholes that would swallow a motorcycle and kept on cruising without a hitch. I can truthfully say that I am astonished at the reliability and resilliance of the Focus, especially considering the torture I expose mine to regularly. I can't really speak for clutch life; but at 45,000mi, mine behaves like it did when it was new even after teaching my fiancée how to drive stick.

So here comes the bad stuff/things that irritate me, and really it's all very petty. The cup holder placement makes shifting a little awkward when you've got a thermos stuffed into either one. One instance in January with an external temperature of -15°f, the center screen that displays radio station information failed to power on until I restarted the car. Never had the issue again after that, but it's worth noting that I have never experienced any issues starting the engine in cold weather. The radio/speakers are a typical stock system, so don't get your hopes up if you buy the SE version like I did. Sound quality is pretty good, but aside from that It's exactly what you'd expect from a commuter car. The glove box interior space is a little weird... Very deep but not very tall. If you keep a gun in there, you're going to have a hard time reaching into the abyss to find it with your seatbelt still on (I'd suggest a shoulder holster, because the center console isn't much better.) Save the glovebox for storing baseball bats, crossbows, or fishing poles. The brake/gas pedal spacing and pad size make heel/toe shifting nearly impossible, but that's probably just a carryover from the car's automatic transmission configuration. It's not a race car, so I guess I can't complain too loudly. Traction control has to be manually deactivated through the menu displayed between the speedometer and tachometer every single time you start the car. It's be okay if it was just a TC on/off button on the dash, but this set-up requires navigating several menu screens and a 5sec wait time. If you drive in the snow often and intend to paddle through rough spots with high speed wheel rotation, it's a pain to go through all that trouble every time you plan to drive. Annoying, but livable. My car came equipped with a sunroof I neither ordered or asked for, but it wasn't listed as a charge on the option sheet so I guess I just got an 'extra'. I don't use it much; but once when I clicked the switch to shut it, the pane of glass bounced back open after closing like It had encountered an unexpected blockage. Second time it closed and stayed that way, I've not experienced the issue since. Lastly, there's this weird little pocket sewn into the left front corner of the front passenger seat that doesn't exist on the driver's seat. It's a pocket, what's the big deal? Well it's a worthless pocket with no justifiable purpose or shape. The best use I've found for it is stashing a spare lighter or small amounts of stuff best kept concealed from plain view... Money, drugs, whatever you're into; that pocket is your business. It still irritates me for it's obscurity, but you can be the judge.

Side note: The headlights are far reaching and well focused, the brights are exceptionally brilliant so if you have a grudge against oncoming traffic - This car is for you. The steering wheel and gauge cluster are exceptionally designed as well.

Buy a (manual) Focus, beat the crap out of it and love it forever. Zero regrets.

1st FORD and NEVER again!
By Jenni

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission issues just like everyone else! Mine has been replaced 3x and updated 4x... all under 25k miles. It takes a few thousand miles to act up again but it will! If I shifted a manual car the way this car shifts, I should never drive a manual. I just don't feel safe in this car, at times it has a delay in reacting to the acceleration. Other times I can feel a drag in the take off. I currently have a file open with the BBB to get this car bought back or at the very least allow me to pick an other car on the Dealership lot and lets trade keys! Ford offered me 1 month of my car payment. I DO NOT want money.. I just want out of my car! I have a pending appointment with Arbitration on May 6th and I am also taking the car back to dealership to have transmission tested again on April 30th!