2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION - DO NOT BUY
By mycrazylife681

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in Feb 2014. Almost immediately after purchasing, it was shuddering, and jerking. I took it in for "reprogramming". It shuddered worse. I took it back, and it was admitted by the Ford staff, it's an ongoing issue with their new transmission, and they've increased the trans warranty to 10 years. They've KNOWN about this issue, and sold it to me anyway?! I had the clutch replaced, it was making grinding noises but stopped for a few months until the other day, when it lost all power for a few seconds on the road, in traffic (luckily slow), then the transmission kicked in, and my whole car lurched forward. Luckily I didn't hit anyone. Very unsafe!! DO NOT BUY!!!!

Favorite Features

I like the interior style/Radio.

Suggested Improvements

A new style transmission.

Makes driving fun in this segment
By minesok

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 2012 Focus SE, actually purchased in 2011, and only issue it had in 4 years was a software fix for the Dual Clutch transmission. After the new software was installed it was fine. SO with the great rebates and incentives on 2014 Focus's I traded in the 2012 for a 2014 to get much more content for only a few more dollars a month. Looks great and drives great, so far.

Favorite Features

17" wheels carve up the curves. Better handling then the old Focus. Leather seats and steering wheel. Overhead bin for sunglasses. It seems like a small thing yet its nice to have. Acceleration is very good. Like my old Focus getting 34 combined MPG. No problems to report so far. Hope none of those tranny issues hit me.

Suggested Improvements

Like another reviewer said, needs a turbo option with the DCT. Something like the 1.6 LT turbo from the Fiesta ST. That would help bump up the fun factor and challenge the Civic SI and Golf GTI.

Transmission is HORRIBLE
By dal214tex

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I unfortunately bought this car (2014 Ford Focus SE Automatic) in April 2014 from Randall Reeds Prestige Ford. From the time we test drove the car it felt very jerky, but assumed it was from not being used to driving a small car. (Previously drove 2003 Chevy Suburban and 2007 Dodge Durango) The first week we drove the car it continued to feel very shaky at rest and worse at take off. I spoke with a gentleman from Ford voicing my concerns of receiving a defective car. He assured me it was the way the transmission was "made", and that there was no issue. WHAT?! Stay away from this car, seriously. It is a nightmare.

Favorite Features

Overall interior is well put except for the lighting. We had to take the car back the 2nd week due to the interior lighting not working.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission! Make every car come standard with Sony sound package because the ones currently in the car are horrible. The hatch door lid is very fragile. It is held with only 2 strings. Add lighting to the interior.

DCT is not your regular Automatic Transmission
By gentle_coconut

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

That being said, Ford and its dealer network should do a lot more to explain to future owners what DCT is. The regular swish-style gearbox is simple in that one bears down on the throttle to go fast and eases to slow. DCT requires one to drive with a manual gearbox mentality. To quickly get to 4th or 5th, stay below 2500 rpm and then once on 4th or 5th one can push beyond 3000rpm to get some speed - I suspect that's when the turbo kicks in. I've found 6th works best in the range between 2200 and 2600rpm. To accelerate, use manual mode but at 160hp from turbo, I dont think this is the horse for that race.

Favorite Features

This is my first DCT and I think its the car's best feature. A close second is the Ridiculous gas mileage! Just averaged 41mpg from Philadelphia to Savannah, albeit at 65mph. I filled up once at quarter tank and got to Savannah with just over quarter tank. Previously I drove from Daytona Beach to Philly, hitting 100mph in some sections, and averaged 33mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior finishing could be a lot better done. The carpets under the seats and under the trunk liner are not properly finished on the edges (is "hemming" the word?) and that's kind of disconcerting to see in a brand new car.

lemon lemon lemon
By mavoiture2014

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Transmission is terrible! It hesitates, jerks, jumps, shudders and is unsafe. I bought this car brand new and the issues are becoming increasingly worse. I have had it in for repairs and the service center assured that it only needed "reset". It operated slightly better for two weeks. Then warning lights appeared stating that the transmission was too hot. So there I was with a brand new car and left stranded in a traffic jam. I purchased this car to alleviate stress of car problems and for the safety ratings. I made a terrible choice.

Favorite Features

The interior is very sporty and fun. Wish I hadn't fallen for the bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

I wish ford would step up and back their product.