2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Well made little economy car
By Eric by the Bay

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, never buy a new car that is used by rental companies. After 1 year these rentals flood the market and while you have one that isn't a rental the value of the car depreciates 50% 23k car worth 13k as a trade in. Thats my main gripe with the car. Now those that complain about fit/finish... My interior is leather and it is super comfortable. and all the interior parts except the part the door are quality. Go drive a Toyota or Honda (quality/fit not happening) It also has sound proofing. I have had larger expensive cars that are more noisy than this car. Door closes with clunk not a hollowed clang like the Honda I traded in to purchase. Mine isn't a base one but one with all the goodies except a sun roof (not a Titanium) I would say the Navigation system has a lot to be desired. Voice activated and sometimes (most times) it dosent get where I want to go.. My IPhone is easier to operate for this function. Sony stereo is great and duel A/C is nice. My interior is black so it gets hot and the a/c cools down the car nicely. I commute to work across the SF Bay Bridge each day and this car has plenty of pick up and no problems getting around others when needed. Its actually a quick little car and very comfortable. It has a funky engine which you get used to its semi auto transmission routine. Kinda has its own little personality. It does as people mention here get jerky and some hesitation in stop/go. It reminds me of a manual transmission in an old VW. Mine has now 5200 miles on it and no real problems.. I don't know that i will keep it more than 1-2 years/or when warranty expires. I would recommend if your thinking about buying one to maybe look for 1 that is a year old with low mileage as its cheaper than buying new. Car easily gets over 30-35 mpg on freeway. Around town a bit less, but who does in City traffic or hills of SF.

STAY AWAY
By Izzy Schwartz

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Dual-clutch auto trans is a living nightmare. It was horrible originally, is still terrible. IT'S A FAILED DESIGN. If you're considering a Focus, go rent one (with 10-15k miles on it) for a week or so and drive it on your normal routes.

2014 shaky focus hatch
By Bill

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission is worst I've ever seen. Auto that feels like it's slipping. Terrible lag. Dealer (Freeway Ford) says that's normal for this type of transmission. JUNK transmission. Don't buy an automatic Focus.

Transmission from hell!
By bgalicia

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Don't even think about getting the automatic transmission. I have taken it in 5 times and it does not get any better just took it in and still not fixed- shuttering, nonresponsive between 0 and 20 mph. Rides good at speeds of 20 and above bit will experience whiplash in stop/go traffic. Ford downplays any issue their Customer Relations Dept. reacts as if this is new to them. These guys have left the consumer and their dealers holding the bag. This was my 3rd consecutive Ford purchase but "no mas"!

FOUND ON ROAD DEAD ...comfy to wait for help in?
By christa

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

roll back on hill: I have had several instances where this has almost caused an accident on the road where my car that was a safe distance in front of other cars began to roll backwards having to hit my gas or press my breaks in order to prevent impact. My car has rolled over 10ft backwards. Auto max keeps saying it's what its "SUPPOSED" to do saying that and the shuddering, shifting hard and jumping is too. Contacted Temple Tx ford and explained the situation and how we were being treated and they had us meet this time with the actual technician for ford at Automax in Killeen where he witnessed the roll back first hand and my husband having to intervene by pressing the gas to go forward before hitting a dealership car. He seemed very surprised and told us right away it was unnatural and he would definitely need to contact ford to look into it further. We went back into service where he told the Service guy what had happened, service continued to claim rolling back 10 feet or more was normal and the tech began to agree...within five minutes... we are paying extra to insure that if we have to leave it with them like we have been needing to do so much we would have a car since both my husband and I need to work. WE HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE to use a car being told that they don't have one available and there is a waiting list to get them. They have recently bought a shuttle bus to haul everyone with. I have NEVER SEEN a loaner car by the way. they kept the car for a week only doing the one thing they only do...Reset the computer. We have done this 3 times and I will be taking it in again since my problem hasn't been fixed