2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Makes driving fun in this segment
By minesok

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 2012 Focus SE, actually purchased in 2011, and only issue it had in 4 years was a software fix for the Dual Clutch transmission. After the new software was installed it was fine. SO with the great rebates and incentives on 2014 Focus's I traded in the 2012 for a 2014 to get much more content for only a few more dollars a month. Looks great and drives great, so far.

Favorite Features

17" wheels carve up the curves. Better handling then the old Focus. Leather seats and steering wheel. Overhead bin for sunglasses. It seems like a small thing yet its nice to have. Acceleration is very good. Like my old Focus getting 34 combined MPG. No problems to report so far. Hope none of those tranny issues hit me.

Suggested Improvements

Like another reviewer said, needs a turbo option with the DCT. Something like the 1.6 LT turbo from the Fiesta ST. That would help bump up the fun factor and challenge the Civic SI and Golf GTI.

STAY AWAY from the FOCUS
By bigrob10

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Where do I start? I purchased a 2014 Focus, Have had it for over a year, and is falling apart. First the clutch was replaced, because it was "Jumping" and "Stalling" then 2 months later back to same problems. Now in addition to that the Tranny is over heating" light is going on as well as Brake Bulb and Tire lights are going off. Contact Ford and they say it will be 8 weeks before they can even look at my since they have so many other owners with the same problem. My Focus jumped forward in traffic out of no where and almost caused a serious accident on the freeway. Ford 100% knows about all these issues with the Focus but they do not care about anyone's safety they just give the run around

Favorite Features

Interior, Body, Sync, and Gas mileage when I am safely able to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford you have thousands of complaints already and probably the same amount of lawsuits to match. I don't know how it's "Good" for your reputation to give your customers who spend our hard earned money on your cars and all you give us are LIES and THE RUN-AROUND. You know all about the problems, you know you can't fix it, you know the Focus is not safe, yet you force us to waste our time and energy going though lemon lawyers. And in the end you still have to buy back the car. Ford just doesn't care about their reputation, customer safety, or repeat customers I guess. I will never, ever, buy FORD again, I'll drive a KIA before I ever step foot on another Ford dealer lot, that's the Truth!!!

Transmission is HORRIBLE
By dal214tex

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I unfortunately bought this car (2014 Ford Focus SE Automatic) in April 2014 from Randall Reeds Prestige Ford. From the time we test drove the car it felt very jerky, but assumed it was from not being used to driving a small car. (Previously drove 2003 Chevy Suburban and 2007 Dodge Durango) The first week we drove the car it continued to feel very shaky at rest and worse at take off. I spoke with a gentleman from Ford voicing my concerns of receiving a defective car. He assured me it was the way the transmission was "made", and that there was no issue. WHAT?! Stay away from this car, seriously. It is a nightmare.

Favorite Features

Overall interior is well put except for the lighting. We had to take the car back the 2nd week due to the interior lighting not working.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission! Make every car come standard with Sony sound package because the ones currently in the car are horrible. The hatch door lid is very fragile. It is held with only 2 strings. Add lighting to the interior.

Horrible car!!
By nick4118

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is nothing but awful. Our model was equipped with leather, sunroof, etc. but it was junk. There was not enough room, it was too small, poor viability, and the engine was horrible. It has very little power, and it shakes, shutter, and sputters CONSTANTLY. It has been doing this since it was drove off the lot. We checked with the dealer, but other people who bought the car from other places had the same issue. I give this car two thumbs down. We now have a Dodge Dart and it is so much better!

DCT is not your regular Automatic Transmission
By gentle_coconut

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

That being said, Ford and its dealer network should do a lot more to explain to future owners what DCT is. The regular swish-style gearbox is simple in that one bears down on the throttle to go fast and eases to slow. DCT requires one to drive with a manual gearbox mentality. To quickly get to 4th or 5th, stay below 2500 rpm and then once on 4th or 5th one can push beyond 3000rpm to get some speed - I suspect that's when the turbo kicks in. I've found 6th works best in the range between 2200 and 2600rpm. To accelerate, use manual mode but at 160hp from turbo, I dont think this is the horse for that race.

Favorite Features

This is my first DCT and I think its the car's best feature. A close second is the Ridiculous gas mileage! Just averaged 41mpg from Philadelphia to Savannah, albeit at 65mph. I filled up once at quarter tank and got to Savannah with just over quarter tank. Previously I drove from Daytona Beach to Philly, hitting 100mph in some sections, and averaged 33mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior finishing could be a lot better done. The carpets under the seats and under the trunk liner are not properly finished on the edges (is "hemming" the word?) and that's kind of disconcerting to see in a brand new car.