2014 Ford Focus S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2014 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

I was dumb enough to buy 2 of them
By Jen Stott

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Car 1 Clutches replaced first week. Tire, glove box door, water leak, bad brake booster, brakes locked up, heat air not working normally, popping in dash, front end suspension, dealer left it sit with bird poop all over so paint is now ruined. Purchased 8/27/14 been in the shop going on 120 days now. Ford refuses to fix because I hired an attorney and they are not supplying the rental vehicle.

Favorite Features

I don't have one. I never to get to drive the car long enough to enjoy it.

Suggested Improvements

Start over and skip the dual clutch transmission

Manual transimission S model
By dallastx2

2014 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When renting a car for work I always request a Ford Focus. It is a compact vehicle which feels safe to drive. The Focus feels solid on the road. This past year needed a new car, wanted something with better than average fuel economy - purchased a Focus. I picked up the manual transmission version. Not having used a manual transmission in years, its been fun getting back to driving with a stick. The engine performance has been a pleasant surprise. Having a manual transmission gives me the opportunity to drive the vehicle at higher revs. The engine has not disappointed.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Solid brakes. Engine feels strong.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers side arm rest.

Transmission Unsafe
By baltazarre

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

7 months in - stranded twice by transmission errors. First one said "Transmission Overheating - Stop When Safe". Dealer in CT worked on it for five days but did not enter work into Ford system. This time received "Transmission Failure" message and car went out of gear while driving. Almost rear ended. Brought to original dealer in NJ. They found a code for a Service Bulletin about not being able to put it in reverse, which wasn't the problem, but can't find anything else wrong. Left with unsafe car and no options. Absolute junk

2014 Ford Focus se
By novakjmn

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I love my car. But it's transmission sucks. It's not sporty when it should be and it isn't efficient when it should be either. It only gets 24mpg and I have to replace the shitty tires already. But I get a lot of compliments on the looks and the interior. And it does drive so damn good.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth. The 2.0 sounds throaty

Suggested Improvements

New transmission. More features. I paid 20k and didn't get a back up camera or 4 wheel disc brakes. That's just cheap Ford.

11 MONTHS--20,000 MILES--NO PROBLEMS
By texasaustin

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Writing because see negative reviews. 2014 5-door Titanium--loaded. No problems at all 20,000 miles. "Auto manual" transmission is a little quirky-adapt to it. Power more than adequate-flooring it has a 1-2 second delay--plan ahead. Usually add oil when 1/2 quart low-wanted to see how long before must add oil. 5w20 full synthetic not quart low after 10,000 miles. Wish less firm ride but it came with the package. Every car should have capless fuel filler, auto/pushbutton start, auto climate control, auto answer phone system, auto on head light. My Ford info system-learn it-seldom malfunctions. Gas mile average 29.9-30.4. (Saw 46.6 on 26 mile loop@71 speed control--40.6@71 over 50mi on IH-35.

Favorite Features

Remote start, pushbutton start, capless "never lose" fuel filler, auto climate control (better at hot weather than cold until evens out), auto answer phone system, auto on head lights, peppy, gas mileage, power up/down on all windows, comfortable leather seats but I found cloth seats very good also, overall fit/finish, good a/c & heater, both knobs & touch screen controls for climate control & radio--also voice control which I often use for climate control, dual knob controlled climate controls (boss reached over & set climate for his side without changing my side), front port connector to use portable phone charger (boss again-phone dead after long flight-able to recharge to call home) etc.

Suggested Improvements

Stupid!!-no glove box light (especially on loaded car; More front legroom & head room (I am 6'-legroom just adequate); More rear seat legroom & cargo space (extend body 1 or 2 feet--no station wagon available stateside); fold flat seats (fold but not flat with upgrade seats); more engine power/better gas mileage (always a pipe dream); bigger gas tank (12.4, even with good mileage not big enough); power lift gate (same category as no glove box light); halogen headlights as standard; both running & fog lights or ability to use fog lights as running lights w/o headlights on; hood release handle inside car feels flimsy; hood release lever@hood should be ambidextrous--designed for left hand use.

Looks and sales man can be deceiving
By desw

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I don't typically sign up for websites to do reviews but I will this time. Do your homework before you even consider this car. I've had this car for 8 months and I'm already trying to figure out how to get out of this upside down car. When I first test drove it the test vehicle was fine. I had seen a couple reviews about the transmission being a little jumpy but the sales man reassured me that that issue was very rare. No. I had it less than two months, took it in 4 times, and was without it for a month and ford treated me horrible. called headquarters and got dismissed there too. I've had such issues with a new car. Ridiculous! Don't do it pay a little extra and get a better car!

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell crappy cars and treat customers badly when your issues are brought to light.

Very pleasantly surprised!
By rex81

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned import cars for years and was planning on buying a Mazda3 but just couldn't pass up the price on the Focus. After incentives it was $6,000 below a comparable 3. I'm glad I did. I've had it for 9 months and 15,000 miles and I love it! It's comfortable, quiet, efficient, stylish, and well built. It feels light but solid at the same time. Great suspension allows for a perfect ride/handling balance. I enjoy getting into it every day. I opted for the manual transmission SE with sport package. Glad I did because I rented a Titanium with auto trans and hated it. Like two different cars. It's true: The auto has issues. And the MyFord Touch was annoying. Simple is better here.

Favorite Features

Ride quality, quiet interior/lack of road noise, manual trans, value! There is NO better value on the road. I feel like I stole my car! Love the cruise control system. Best of any car I've ever driven. Love the capless fuel door as well. Cool feature. Sync works well with all features you need in the SE trim. Don't ever feel like I'm missing out not having the Titanium model. Very easy maintenance schedule. This car needs very little over 100,000 miles and tells you when it needs an oil change. Only needed to do my first one at 12,000 miles. Nice. There are actually a lot of cool, well thought out pieces on this car. Ford engineers should be commended.

Suggested Improvements

Glad to see the 2015 Focus manual is 6 speed, the 5-speed is a little archaic. The automatic dual clutch still needs work. There is a slip between 1st and 2nd that would drive me nuts if I owned it. The manual is so much more satisfying to drive. Looks like they cleaned up the center stack design in 2015 too. It's a bit much in the 2014. Sport package seats are a bit stiff.

Stay Away
By dre1104

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Unfortunately, but honestly, when asked, I always warn potential buyers to stay away from these cars. On paper, it seems the ideal car - economical, fun to drive, and nicely equipped. But the truth is my car has been plagued with issues since day #1. Like many others, I have been dealing with transmission issues that cause erratic shifting. Plus, interior trim, software, and interior rattles that have taken more than a year and half to even begin the process of solving. Bottom line, Ford doesn't stand behind their cars, and doesn't invest in customer satisfaction or making this car the car it claims it is. Don't trust one review. Before you plunk down money, search online. Be warned...

If I could have one car never built again this would be it
By mattyguru

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I wouldn't take the time out for this if it wasn't for the fact that everyone should know about how horrifying not only this car is but Ford for even letting this happen. The car has a recall on the transmission it stalls when driving and can even randomly shut off while driving. Ford wont even give you a rental tell they check what is wrong. even when it is under warranty and has a recall so they already know I am not at fault for this cars problems. Writing this while still waiting for a estimated time on how long tell they can even look at it.

Favorite Features

The only part that is even nice would be the tires are nice. the only part Ford has nothing to do with.

Suggested Improvements

For ford to get out of the car business since they cant even make a car that sells for $26,000 last for longer then a year.

Roller Coaster
By johnk1978

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission is horrible. They said it wouldn't be so jumpy after 1,000 miles. Well...now that I'm at 4,000 I feel like I'm riding on a roller coaster. I work a lot and now I have to find time to take it back again and have them figure it out. If they can't figure it out, it will become property of Ford. I can't wait for my lease to be up.

Favorite Features

Looks of the exterior

Suggested Improvements

Transmission makes it horrible ride.