2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worst car ever
By hatemyford on 10/18/14 11:51 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Ford Focus SE. I bought it with an automatic transmission that I paid $1300 for. 6 months later I find out it has a manual transmission with 2 electric clutches that no longer work. In 1 year the transmission, clutch, alternator, steering and interior have been repaired. My "automatic" transmission performs so poorly that I feel unsafe in the car. Do not buy this car. Once you own it, no one can fix it. It also depreciated 70% the first year. When it was 9 months old I was offered $7500 to trade it in. I paid 23K

Worst car ever
By edward124 on 10/16/14 19:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Check out my Facebook page "Ford Focus Ford Fucos" This car is the worst I've ever owned. The transmission is a joke, the interior melted, the alternator and steering had to be replaced the first year.

Cheap and Fun drive
By marty1985 on 10/13/14 08:36 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus Electric 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Purchased the car for under 30k and was a great value. Cost for my 36 mile commute is now 0.50 instead of 3.50 (or the cost of a gallon at the time). It has had a few recalls but when those fixes were applied, no issues and nothing really to maintain. No oil changes or fluids/belts/chains/etc. I love the fact that I never go to gas stations, just plug in nightly like my cellphone and ready to go in a couple of hours (with the 220v wall charger). We have a second car for trips, but I think renting a car for the few long trips of the year would be fine if we didn't have a second vehicle. Overall, I am sold on electric and am likely to stick with all electric for my commute/around town car!

Very Smooth & Sporty
By bogs2000 on 09/28/14 01:07 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm so happy that I decided to buy this car. It is very smooth, nimble, agile, and sporty. The titanium hatchback model could compare to most of expensive luxury sub compact European cars. You feel very stable when driving this car specially on tight turns. With only 2.0 engine, it feels very strong and the car can accelerate much quicker compare to other sub compact cars with the same engine size.

Do not Purchase
By colo4o on 09/26/14 08:18 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car has transmission problems and Ford will not stand behind them. Search the web and see the problems. As en engineer i am saying make another choice!!

Great car, far exceeded my expectations
By rex81 on 09/23/14 08:14 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 13,000 miles now. I've driven new foreign cars for the past decade, and this is by far my favorite car. I feel like I stole this car from Ford it was such a good value. I get 35 mpg combined which is above EPA. Mine is a manual SE w/ sport package. Highly recommend this combo if you're concerned about reliability of SYNC and the auto transmission. I didn't mind the auto, but heard about technical issues, so I just avoided. The 5 sp manual isn't the best, isn't the worst. Nice clutch feel. The sport package upgrades to nice firm seats. I love them, but might be too firm for some. The car feels lightweight but incredibly solid and well built. Quiet and smooth on the freeway.

Lemon?
By jeff295 on 09/14/14 10:35 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus Electric 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After owning a Ford Focus EV for a year, I advise consumers to be very skeptical about them. I loved it at first, until the battery died several times at stop lights! We were told it needed a software update to fix the problem. That seemed to work for several months, until the battery died completely again. Having an almost brand new car and then having to deal with towing, figuring out how to get to work with out it, etc., is a tremendous hassle and downside. There are no substitute cars because substitutes won't be able to use the car pool lane. Dealers have very little knowledge about the Focus EV, which also is incredibly frustrating. Overall, a very bad experience with this car.

Final Choice Mazda 3 or Focus Titanium
By datman510 on 09/10/14 13:11 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

So I finally made up my mind. I was considering a Mazda 3 but in the end I bought the Ford Focus Titanium w/handling PKG. I could not get over the UGLY pod on the Mazda's dash. This is my first Ford and I hope I don't regret it. Although I read countless reviews and words of wisdom from critics I decided that the issue with the transmissions was one of understanding instead of criticizing. Once you understand the way it works then it is easier to overcome it's quirks when you compare to a fully auto tranny. I like it! Overall the car has exceeded my expectations. Considering the car's heritage and Ford's intentions when they design this car I feel it is a great European flavor Ford.

Hope they improve over the base
By kingkole02 on 09/06/14 08:32 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This model was a basic, however by 50k miles was showing tranmission issues. Could be a lemon could be beaten up by another driver. However this model slipped in and out of drive and reverse. Performance was bad because the transmission slipped. Once the transmission caught up it was decent in preformance. Other then some issues this vehicle may have been a nice vehicle. Ample interior space, decent seats, good size trunk, and easy to drive.

This is a great car!
By jengi on 06/16/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I thought this car was going to be too small, but I was very wrong. My husband is 6'4" and he sits comfortably in the driver and passenger seats. The look of the car is stylish, and it handles very well. The manual transmission shifts beautifully. It was a great value, too! Overall, this is a great car. My only complaint is the lack of leg room in the back seat. As a result, this is not our main family car because we have 2 growing kids and another on the way. But for just my husband and I, the car is great.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Ford Focus in VA is:

$160 per month*