Used 2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

1st FORD and NEVER again!
By Jenni

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission issues just like everyone else! Mine has been replaced 3x and updated 4x... all under 25k miles. It takes a few thousand miles to act up again but it will! If I shifted a manual car the way this car shifts, I should never drive a manual. I just don't feel safe in this car, at times it has a delay in reacting to the acceleration. Other times I can feel a drag in the take off. I currently have a file open with the BBB to get this car bought back or at the very least allow me to pick an other car on the Dealership lot and lets trade keys! Ford offered me 1 month of my car payment. I DO NOT want money.. I just want out of my car! I have a pending appointment with Arbitration on May 6th and I am also taking the car back to dealership to have transmission tested again on April 30th!

Don't Be Fooled--It's JUNK
By D. Liebling

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No matter what propaganda you may hear about the dual-clutch automatic, STAY AWAY.
My 2014 started to exhibit intermittent, severe chatter/shudder/slip/gran/noise shortly after I bought it.
Pulling out from a stop is problematic to the point of being unsafe, as you never know what the trans will do.

Dealer applied several software updates over the next 18 months.
Ford Customer Service indicated they would pursue the issue until I was satisfied.

Didn't happen.
As the miles and months and repair attempts accrued, dealer and Ford interest waned.
One day, Ford CS simply announced, "Dealer says car is normal... There will be no further repair attempts nor trade/buyback assistance.
"Coincidentally", this happened as the car was about to become eligible for Lemon law arbitration.

Neither Ford nor the dealer have acted in good faith re this vehicle.
Ford has finally acknowledged the DCT is a failed design--They are eliminating in the near future.
That might help future customers but leaves the tens of thousands of us with the current model with a vehicle that is undriveable and unsellable and has a horribly suppressed blue-book value.

Ford has not acted honorably nor professionally in this matter...
Don't expect them to do any better when you have problems in the future... BUY SOME OTHER MAKE VEHICLE.

AVOID FORD

Second Guessing My Purchase
By Fran C.

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is about the transmission shuddering issue. Otherwise beside the interior not having a lot of storage space I really love my car.

I bought my car last May and have not even reached 10k. After a few months I noticed this noise the car was making. Clunking/Clicking when Driving/Acceleration. I brought it to the dealer I got it from and had to wait 3 days for them to test drive to verify my claims. It took a few days to fix and all seemed well until this morning when I thought I heard the noise start up again. Not bad but enough to make me worry. I am due for my 10k service so I will talk to them about it. I heard through websites and other sources these cars are noted for transmission issues. I will update this post if anything changes. If you are having the same problem do not wait, bring it in and have them fix it. Transmissions are $$$$$$$$ !!

Waiting to get clutch repaired for over 8 months -
By TR

2014 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ford sold a car with a knowingly defective transmission. The clutch slips, shutters and shakes the whole car. When I took it into the Dealer 8 months ago I was told they know about the problem and there are so many to repair and with the backlog, it would be months before they had a replacement clutch for my car. They added me to the the bottom of a very long list. The car is miserable to drive and I find it unbelievable that it takes over 8 months to get service parts when its a current model production vehicle. Ford's lack of customer support is atrocious. How much longer before I get the call that they are ready to replace/repair the clutch is unknown, I call about once a month to check the status and they always give the same answer; "we have so many we need to repair it will take a while to get to yours"

Do use as a Drivers Training Vechicle
By Tracey Barrett

2014 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off I love the look of my 2014 Focus SE Hatchback. It's a beautiful car, comfortable to ride in, fun to drive, that is until the transmission started acting up at a couple thousand miles. I took the car to my dealer and he explained to me that the car has a manual as well as automatic transmission. He said when you drive a manual transmission the car will roll back and hop until you finish shifting. I told him that I know how to properly drive a manual transmission and I don't hop around when shifting. I have to keep apologizing to my students that it's not them that's the problem, it's the car. We teach the kids how to do maneuverability for their driving test and after about 10 minutes of driving forward and backward through the cones, the car will no longer go in reverse and the transmission overheats. This if my 4th Ford and my 3rd Focus and also my last if something is not done about this issue. I have had it in and it has been "reprogrammed: 4 times in 2 years and I finally have an appointment this month to finally fix the clutch. I loved my 2010 Focus. It was one of the best cars I have ever owned. Ford really got me this time. As soon as I am able I am trading it in even though I will probably take a loss on it.