2013 Ford Focus Consumer Review: The Kelvinator

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

S Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. FFV 5-speed Manual)

The Kelvinator
By 49warthog49 on

2013 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car as basic transportation for commuting. It's an SE hatchback with the 5-speed manual transmission (although I was not able to select this model configuration from the review menu) and the 202A package--alloy wheels, power windows/locks, cruise, and SYNC. The car is extremely well-equipped for the price and drives nicely. Have had moderate success with programming the SYNC system to recognize my phone book, and the menus and sub-menus that need to be navigated for basic radio functions is maddening, but after a few weeks I am getting used to it.

The engine is smooth from 1000 rpm to redline, clutch take-up is progressive, and the shifter is slick and precise. The car handles better than expected; body roll is well controlled, shock damping is firm, turn in is crisp.

It really needs a 6th overdrive gear. At 70 mph the engine is turning nearly 3000 rpm, and while it is smooth and relatively quiet, I am sure that I could realize better mileage with another overdrive cog. Despite the relatively high revs at highway speed, on the first two tanks I have averaged over 36 mpg.
By carlivar
on 03/02/13 21:58 PM (PST)

I agree that the radio menus are annoying, but there are shortcuts for everything. Push the "radio" button to cycle through FM1,FM2,FM3,AM. Push the numbers on keypad on the right to jump to a radio preset. Or you can cycle forward and backward with one button on the steering wheel.