Used 2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great commuter
By lrc3395

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in June of 2013. I commute 70 miles each way and the gas for my SUV was killing me. I test drove the automatic and disliked the feel, then drove the 5 speed and liked it much better. I now have 55k miles on the car and it still runs as well as when I drove it off the lot. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever in all those miles and have found the Focus to be a comfortable vehicle. A third of my commute is down a windy mountain road and the Focus handles it very well. It drives well in the rain and I had no complaints with its abilities in the snow last winter. Overall, an excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

I like the Sync infotainment system quite a bit. It is set up to work with Amazon Music, which I use on my phone, and I am able to scroll through my music and change settings with the paddles on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Although I like the styling, it is a little generic. The hatchback looks so similar to the Mazda 3 and Subaru Impreza that it's hard to tell them apart. The road noise is a little more than I would like, the back seat is tight, even for my 8 year old, and the power drops off with the A/C on.

Lemon, lemon, lemon
By sds5858

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this brand new 2013 focus one year ago three months after I had it I had to put new tires on it because they were almost bald, then it started to shutter like my transmission was going out(they have finally recalled that part) terrible terrible terrible in the snow and now the air conditioning is out.. Mechanically This car is a piece of crap! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM IT!!!

Stay Away / Faulty Transmissions
By jack8384

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the Focus SE sedan with the faulty automatic transmission. I bought it brand new and first noticed the transmission to start acting crazy around 4500 miles. I've read many similar complaints and see that Ford won't correct the problem. They issued a TSB on these trannies only to replace the clutch pack which doesn't help. They say it's the way it's designed to operate and theres no fix. WHAT ? Then why issue the TSB ? When I test drove the car it didn't do this. I would have stayed away then. Car lunges forward at stops, backs up by itself without giving it gas, the shift shuttering/slipping is the biggest problem.

Favorite Features

I bought this car mainly for the gas mileage which is great, but not worth it for the hassle with the transmission issues. Yeah it's under warranty, but I have to keep going back to dealer. I'm going to take a big loss and trade it for a Honda or Toyota which I should have bought to begin with.

Suggested Improvements

Put a light for the ignition key hole. Can't find it in the dark. Design a transmission that works. I have had dozens of cars and never had a transmission issue until now... and this is a brand new car. Raise the car up a little...looks like the tires are going to scrape the fenders they're so close.

Should have stayed with Honda
By tamie45

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Focus SE on June 18th 2014. I was initially impressed by the styling and that it was loaded with tech. Unfortunately, all the tech in the world could not make up for the DCT and how awful it was to drive. Even the tech left a lot to be desired. While I initially liked it, I found the controls for the infotainment system to be very hard to use while driving. The saving grace was that it had voice commands to bypass the very convoluted menu setup. It took less than two months to see the writing on the wall about this car and I traded it in for a Honda Civic. I ended up losing money because I traded it in so soon but it was the best decision ever!!

Favorite Features

The soft touch plastics were nice and I liked the side bolsters on the steering wheel, that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

The DCT of course. I will not elaborate as others have done so exhaustively and better than I ever could. The audio controls proved to be almost unusable while driving unless I was using the voice commands. (There are a ton of voice commands to memorize and I would have liked to have been able to use traditional controls.) Overall, I would not recommend this car to anyone for any reason. It has cast a shadow over Ford in my eyes and I will never buy another one. I will stick with my lower tech, simpler, but MUCH BETTER CAR.... the Honda Civic.

Mixed Feelings
By mrjustin24

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I sold a 2011 Grand Caravan because my wife's Taurus X was falling apart and we needed to use my van as a down payment. We currently have this Focus hatch. It serves its purpose as my daily driver and we even use it for family vacations with 2 kids under 4. We have learned how to pack light. It gets 38-40 hwy mpg easy. I usually get 32 around town. For that I'm grateful. However, the issues with the transmission are true. It will act like it's stalling out every so often when shifting between 1st and 2nd. It also has a popping sound in the front left suspension at low speeds. This is "normal" according to Ford. Everytime I ask them to listen to to it I walk away with the same prob

Favorite Features

Sync system isn't as hard as reviews say it is, MPG is great, Great looking car

Suggested Improvements

Transmission quirks