Used 2013 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Stay Away / Faulty Transmissions
By jack8384

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the Focus SE sedan with the faulty automatic transmission. I bought it brand new and first noticed the transmission to start acting crazy around 4500 miles. I've read many similar complaints and see that Ford won't correct the problem. They issued a TSB on these trannies only to replace the clutch pack which doesn't help. They say it's the way it's designed to operate and theres no fix. WHAT ? Then why issue the TSB ? When I test drove the car it didn't do this. I would have stayed away then. Car lunges forward at stops, backs up by itself without giving it gas, the shift shuttering/slipping is the biggest problem.

I bought this car mainly for the gas mileage which is great, but not worth it for the hassle with the transmission issues. Yeah it's under warranty, but I have to keep going back to dealer. I'm going to take a big loss and trade it for a Honda or Toyota which I should have bought to begin with.

Put a light for the ignition key hole. Can't find it in the dark. Design a transmission that works. I have had dozens of cars and never had a transmission issue until now... and this is a brand new car. Raise the car up a little...looks like the tires are going to scrape the fenders they're so close.

Should have stayed with Honda
By tamie45

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Focus SE on June 18th 2014. I was initially impressed by the styling and that it was loaded with tech. Unfortunately, all the tech in the world could not make up for the DCT and how awful it was to drive. Even the tech left a lot to be desired. While I initially liked it, I found the controls for the infotainment system to be very hard to use while driving. The saving grace was that it had voice commands to bypass the very convoluted menu setup. It took less than two months to see the writing on the wall about this car and I traded it in for a Honda Civic. I ended up losing money because I traded it in so soon but it was the best decision ever!!

The soft touch plastics were nice and I liked the side bolsters on the steering wheel, that's about it.

The DCT of course. I will not elaborate as others have done so exhaustively and better than I ever could. The audio controls proved to be almost unusable while driving unless I was using the voice commands. (There are a ton of voice commands to memorize and I would have liked to have been able to use traditional controls.) Overall, I would not recommend this car to anyone for any reason. It has cast a shadow over Ford in my eyes and I will never buy another one. I will stick with my lower tech, simpler, but MUCH BETTER CAR.... the Honda Civic.

great car after 12,000 miles don't be afraid
By neohiofocusguy

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have now put on 12,000 miles on my 2013 ford focus se with 6speed dct auto. It has been a great car. Don't be afraid of the transmission. It shifts very smooth is nice. If you drive consistently and don't step on the gas hard it very rarely gives a bad shift. If you step on the gas hard it can be slow to downshift or sometimes might stay in existing great instead of upshifting. The transmission is an automated manual and thats how it gets amazing gas mileage. I get 39/40 mpg real world driving when the weather is good and I drive about 80% highway 20% city. In low speed driving like a parking lot it is not as nice as a regular automatic but it is fine just be easy on the gas. T

Great value. Amazing style, very quiet interior, high quality feeling, great handling, lots of features, good price, amazing gas mileage. I used to be a GM guy but FORD has stepped it up. It is almost like they are a new car company.

Awesome car. People who complain about the transmission are rough on the gas pedal and would be better getting a manual so it is up to the driver on which gear they are. Even 6 speed tranny's that are not dual clutch transmission tranny's take getting used too. Remember 6 speeds are alot of gears so you get more shifting and sometimes it 'thinks' to much. With an old school 4 speed automatic it usually just stayed in the gear it was in. Not much shifting was required.

Nope
By acabaner

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, I realize it's dumb to buy a car and not like it; but I had a good test drive & it made sense due to being a good used deal. Wanted a middle ground compact car; that is decent performance and economy. Cruze, Civic, Elantra weren't gutsy enough; and something like the Si is fun but not practical enough. I came from a 2008 Mazda 3 5spd which I now realize was amazing, but figured would change it up. Inside is cramped, the center stack is huge and has no storage. Rear leg room is poor/worse. Auto transmission (not select shift) is hit or miss; can be very smooth or very stupid. Fuel economy is not as hoped. The 3 got me 25 in mostly city driving (rated 23/29); and this gets 28.5.

Sync is alright. Decent engine (although bested by Hyundai 2.0 or Mazda skyactive). Good visibility (but A pillars). Looks fine. Handles well & feels secure. Good steering wheel. Supportive driver seat. Comfortable on a long drive. Get impression that it's solid. Trunk pops open. Starts nicely (don't have to hold key down); instant almost like a push button. Auto headlights. I need more characters for improvements so adding more here: Plastics seem cheap. Wouldn't the door sill be better suited for the soft texture that the dash has? How often do you touch the dash? More than resting arm by window? Turning on parking lights and interior screens every time open door is dumb.

Usability. Look inside an Elantra; it's brilliant. More standard amenities, storage, room, etc. Center stack & glove box intrudes on passenger; claustrophobic. Console is dumb; have to remove the upper compartment to reach inside. Big trunk to fill with luggage for passengers that won't fit in the car. Rear floor hump, windows not full down. Non selectshift trans is ridiculous; that should be the standard (I'm sure the manual is fine, but wanted an auto so other family members could drive it). "L" mode is dumbest thing ever. Often jerky or tire slip. Ability to do more stuff with Sync while in motion; especially if car knows you have a passenger. Looks odd w/o fog-lights.

Has been a great car
By benny2014

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased my 2013 Ford Focus new and now have about 11,000 miles on it. I optioned for the SFE package for better fuel economy. I have getting about 36 mpg combined city and highway. It has been a great car and very easy to drive. I would recommend this car.

Good gas milage, quiet and smooth ride. Good value for the money.

The controls on the steering wheel are a little confusing.