2013 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Stay Away / Faulty Transmissions
By jack8384 on 08/26/14 00:49 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the Focus SE sedan with the faulty automatic transmission. I bought it brand new and first noticed the transmission to start acting crazy around 4500 miles. I've read many similar complaints and see that Ford won't correct the problem. They issued a TSB on these trannies only to replace the clutch pack which doesn't help. They say it's the way it's designed to operate and theres no fix. WHAT ? Then why issue the TSB ? When I test drove the car it didn't do this. I would have stayed away then. Car lunges forward at stops, backs up by itself without giving it gas, the shift shuttering/slipping is the biggest problem.

Should have stayed with Honda
By tamie45 on 08/24/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Focus SE on June 18th 2014. I was initially impressed by the styling and that it was loaded with tech. Unfortunately, all the tech in the world could not make up for the DCT and how awful it was to drive. Even the tech left a lot to be desired. While I initially liked it, I found the controls for the infotainment system to be very hard to use while driving. The saving grace was that it had voice commands to bypass the very convoluted menu setup. It took less than two months to see the writing on the wall about this car and I traded it in for a Honda Civic. I ended up losing money because I traded it in so soon but it was the best decision ever!!

great car after 12,000 miles don't be afraid
By neohiofocusguy on 06/19/14 06:05 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have now put on 12,000 miles on my 2013 ford focus se with 6speed dct auto. It has been a great car. Don't be afraid of the transmission. It shifts very smooth is nice. If you drive consistently and don't step on the gas hard it very rarely gives a bad shift. If you step on the gas hard it can be slow to downshift or sometimes might stay in existing great instead of upshifting. The transmission is an automated manual and thats how it gets amazing gas mileage. I get 39/40 mpg real world driving when the weather is good and I drive about 80% highway 20% city. In low speed driving like a parking lot it is not as nice as a regular automatic but it is fine just be easy on the gas. T

Nope
By acabaner on 06/10/14 10:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, I realize it's dumb to buy a car and not like it; but I had a good test drive & it made sense due to being a good used deal. Wanted a middle ground compact car; that is decent performance and economy. Cruze, Civic, Elantra weren't gutsy enough; and something like the Si is fun but not practical enough. I came from a 2008 Mazda 3 5spd which I now realize was amazing, but figured would change it up. Inside is cramped, the center stack is huge and has no storage. Rear leg room is poor/worse. Auto transmission (not select shift) is hit or miss; can be very smooth or very stupid. Fuel economy is not as hoped. The 3 got me 25 in mostly city driving (rated 23/29); and this gets 28.5.

Has been a great car
By benny2014 on 03/16/14 11:53 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased my 2013 Ford Focus new and now have about 11,000 miles on it. I optioned for the SFE package for better fuel economy. I have getting about 36 mpg combined city and highway. It has been a great car and very easy to drive. I would recommend this car.

Merits your consideration: Go for the Manual Transmission and sans - MFT for maximum reliability
By benevento on 10/12/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

ery good choice, however for maximum reliability (and long term maintenance cost savings) skip the Dual Clutch and the My Ford Touch options. Bought in July 2013, 5000 troublefree, comfortable miles so far. The Manual transmission's the better choice by far (you take a little hit in fuel economy ironically, but trust me, it's gonna cost a LOT less to maintain than the dual clutch) Comfortable on long drives (- saw an average of 39 MPG on 800 mile trip ), adequate pep for city stop and go, plus passing on highways (3rd gear is very sweet around 5500 rpm . . . ). Definitely spec'ed well, and punches a bit above its price range - But get the manual w/o MFT

skip this car
By regy65 on 09/30/13 06:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

company car and no one want to drive it. terrible in rain, transmission jumps, front end sounds like fall apart ect....

bad decision
By scubble2 on 09/17/13 15:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a toyotay camry, saw all the great commercials about the gas milage on the focus, and thought wow better than the camry, so i bought a 2013 ford focus titanium flex fuel, wow what a big mistake if i could get rid of this today i would hate everything about this car, gas mileage sucks, sounds and acts weird like it is going to fall appart any minute, will not make this mistake again, going back to toyota,,soon as i can.. this car sucks real BAD......

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
By zjgarcia on 09/11/13 15:47 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very cheap to purchase and lots of fun to drive. But since I have had it I have had to replace one of the front drive axles and the parking brake. The front end sounds loose. The paint on the hood is already chipping off. I drive very conservatively and do not follow cars close for this reason. I know it is not my fault. The S model comes with automatic lights but only on the dash, so when it gets dark enough your dash lights come on, but not your headlights. I have been pulled over by the police already because I did not have my headlights on. On the other hand it is fun to drive and with the price being so cheap you can afford to make the modifications you want to make it yours

Love/hate relationship
By monkeymademe on 09/08/13 20:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car mainly because I have always owned Fords and they have always been reliable. As far as getting me where I need to go, this car is reliable. I have a love/hate relationship with my car mainly because some days it will run exceptionally smooth and some days it sounds like the wheels are going to fall off and it shakes like the transmission is going to fall out. I have heard the whole "give it a few hundred miles" speech, and well, I have given it 8,000 with no change. It's mostly when I pull out, slow down and pick up speed again, or go up a steep hill that the transmission feels like its going to kick the bucket. But when it runs smooth, it runs smooth.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Focus Sedan in VA is:

$149 per month*