Used 2013 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Never buy a ford again
By FoundOnRoadDead

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

2013 ford focus is a joke. Bought the titanium edition with all bells and whistles, got the nice lcd touch screen with navi (2500$ option). After about 1 year and 38,000 miles the lcd touch screen stopped working rendering the navi and most other options useless or a complete inconvenience to use. Ford says sorry, but warranty ended at 35,000 miles and it is an 800 dollar repair, sorry about your luck. Did I mention on my second oil change dealership noticed a transmission leak. Then there were Multiple trips to dealership for reprogramming, cleaning clutch plates. Recently at 80,000 miles vehicle wouldn't switch out of 1st gear. Ford says just needs computer update,that should do it. Two weeks later as I'm attempting to accelerate onto freeway tach goes to 7000 rpm and I can't get out of first gear as the vehicles jerks and sputters. Left me stranded about 50 miles from home. Had to get it towed off the freeway. Now ford says it just needs a new control module, that will fix everything. Yeah right!!! Do not buy this vehicle, you will be sorry!! Ford is not stepping up to the plate to get these issues fixed. I will never buy another ford vehicle!!!!!!

Complete junk!!
By Bri

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So in 2011 I bought a new ford fiesta and after having it for one year the transmission went out. I figured that car was just a lemon and traded it for a new 2013 focus se...big mistake!! After having it for a couple months it started jerking and shuttering very badly. Took it to the dealership and they said it was not supposed to do it all the time just every once in a while. For two years after that I complained about the car and took it into the dealership and all they would do was reprogram it or say there is nothing wrong. Finally in July of 2015 the dealership replaced the clutch and it stopped shuttering almost entirely. It's been 3 months and I have only felt it shutter twice, huge improvement, but of course something else went wrong. Then one day my car did not want to go into reverse and the engine light came on as well. Then it would not drive after putting it in gear. I had to have it towed to the dealership and the transmission control module had to be replaced. This was before ford sent out the letter about the problems with the tcm. Now I am having another problem! Yesterday when I turned my a/c on it made a loud whining noise,the entire dashboard started vibrating, and no air came out. I turned it on and off and the same thing happened. The third time the a/c came on and no more noise. This car is a pile of crap that needs to be recalled but we all know Ford doesn't want to take responsibility for it. Do not buy this car PLEASE!!! Everyone I've known with one has had problems. It is a waste of money and unreliable.

Steer clear of the new focus'.
By Mr. Willoughby

2013 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Dont buy one with an automatic trans. They are total junk. Dual clutched, fluidless paper weights is about all they're worth. May as well put a lemon badge on the front grille. I bought my 2013 SE flexfuel sedan with 13 miles on it. Ive got over 60k now, but ive been in the shop 4 times due to trans. My car is actually on its 3rd. transmission since new. Still getting the issues as the first 2 did. Guess i should've bought a foriegn car. Atleast they're a lot more reliable. Thank you FORD for ruining 1/3 of american automotive reliability. The worst part is that most car lots wont even give a fair trade in automatics because they are aware of focus' transmission problems... ughh!

Transmission Problem Fixed!
By Brian

2013 Ford Focus Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We own a 2013 Focus SE & Focus Titanium - both have had the transmission problems as many have experienced. A few weeks ago my dealer informed me of the TCM recall for both - had them both done and car shifts and drives 110% better - I can squeal the tires on take off (huge improvement from the sluggish, hesitant shifting between 1st & 2nd gear).

Beware of transmission
By John Murphy

2013 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ford admits to "shuddering" and "rough shifting" vehicle is not comfortable the head seats can not be removed to clean seat the gas mileage is around 19 city for me with 87 octane and around 15 with Ethanol. Don't believe me? Test drive today.

• SUV