Used 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I love my car
By Tracy Riggin

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I find myself looking out at it or taking quick glances at it when I am at home...I researched a long time to locate the car I wanted, and I found it. at firs,t I didn't care about the color because I would have been happy with a few other choices, but the color is actually one of the things I like best about it. I chose a dark, sparkly pewter color. It looks understated and classy. The other thing I adore about it is the quiet drive. I can shut everything out and just drive...awesome!

Great car if you can handle a weird transmission
By Haley Reynolds

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my first car and I noticed after a week or two of having it that when I would be at a complete stop and then accelerate it was jerk on me. Its annoying at times but its normal. Believe the car dealership when they say its normal. Its the made of the transmission, Its a mix between a standard and an automatic. I never have a shifting problem when im going fast and steady only when im in town and traffic is crazy and im stopping and going for a while. in low gears its acts like a standard and jerks you a little. The gas tank is small so I fill up alot seems like. But other than that its a good car. very comfortable and good speakers. The steering basically can handle its self almost. Love this little car as my first car.

Ford Focus SE 2013
By Steve England

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good performance, good driving reliability, low cost maintenance.

Please don't buy this car
By Cotton Wildbrook

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car used with less than 50K miles on it. We had it serviced twice in the first month of ownership because the transmission studdered while shifting. We were told that was normal behavior for the car and that the transmission was designed to learn your driving style and thus not be suitable as a car for multiple drivers. How foolish is that? They reprogrammed the TCM both times, which did absolutely nothing to fix the problem. The car had to have new wheel bearings put on at 60K miles at a cost of $700! Finally we got a recall notice about the obviously faulty transmission, so back it went for more repairs. Again, this did NOTHING to correct any of the problems. In fact, after we had that done, the car died en route to work with no warning whatsoever. It literally lost 100% power while merging onto a 50 mph road. We had it towed to the dealership where they said it needed a new wiring harness that wasn't covered under warranty and wasn't related to the bad transmission (they said). That was a $500 job. After owning it for only 9 months we traded it in for another vehicle at a loss of $5000.00 Honestly, we're just happy to be rid of it. It was too big of a risk to drive. You never knew if you were going to get to your destination alive.

Mix of strengths and weaknesses
By GB

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2013 SE 5-speed manual with 2.0 engine used w/ 18,000 miles a year ago. It's a small, snazzy car that does most everything you need, but with flaws. Handles very responsively, but the ride is too stiff. Good engine and wind noise isolation, but significant road noise. Great gas mileage if you take it somewhat easy. Decent power from the 2.0L, like a go cart on the highway.

Strengths:

+ Gas mileage (average 33-34, can get 40 on the highway)
+ Power from standard 2.0L engine
+ Stick shift (short throws)
+ Trunk size
+ Stability around turns
+ Interior (buttoned down, but... read below)
+ Steering feel (not numb, you can actually feel the road)
+ Engine and wind noise (not much of either)
+ Driving range (can get 400 miles on the highway)
+ Cruise control works excellently
+ Nice that it has auto-headlights and ALSO allows you to manually turn them off

Weaknesses:

- Ride (stiff! like a sports car)
- Clutch (very tricky from 1st to 2nd, etc)
- Road noise (LOTS of it)
- Low-speed driving dynamics (wtf...)
- Ergonomics (Ford doesn't get it)
- Gear spacing on 5-speed
- User interfaces (instrument panel, radio...)
- Stereo (standard. May be the worst sounding, tinniest stereo I've heard in a car, ever. Reception is also very disappointing)
- Oversteers (very touchy, you can be in a ditch if you're not careful)
- Back seats don't fold flat
- Seat comfort (front seats seem experimental and wear on you)
- Too much vibration at idle

Ford got so many things right here - bravo for that. Great gas mileage. Decent power for a small car, though like most small engines, when you *really* punch it... nothing happens. Mostly good visibility. Buttoned down interior styling. Very nice shifter. Good road feel through steering (though perhaps a little too much feel). No lumbar adjustment, but seems to be Ok w/o it. Reliability has been good through 33k miles, only had the a seat belt retractor replaced for slight stickiness and a rattle fixed. Headrests are adjustable - a big deal for some. Happy with trunk space. The cruise control is one of the smoothest I've ever seen. Steering wheel is excellently sized and has good grip material. Dash is Ok on the eyes.

Unfortunately, Ford also got many things wrong, too. Ergonomics are off - I can't really get comfortable. E.g., place your left arm on the door rest and it's too low, but place it on the window ledge and it's too high. Seats are not flat bottomed but have a strange cavity design that eventually cuts off your circulation. Right arm rest doesn't extend fwd far enough, can barely anchor my elbow to shift gears. Stereo and basic control menus are inconsistent and make little sense. Stereo has tons of good stuff like USB, Bluetooth connection, etc, but ... it just sounds terrible. It's reception is, I must say, a joke, actually took it in to the dealer for a look (they said it's operating as designed). Noise levels for engine and wind are very low but way too loud for road noise... changed tires, somewhat better now, but still quite loud. Turning the dome light on/off is unnecessarily complex. Ride in first gear is VERY jerky, is NOT fun driving through a parking lot. Suspension is just too stiff, resulting in a harsh ride like a Mustang (do people really want that in a basic car like the Focus? I doubt it). Low beam headlights simply don't illuminate well enough, feel like I might hit something at night. Burns some oil, ~ 0.7 quart every 1000 miles, which is surprising given it only has about 30k miles. Finally, watch driving at night when you might be drowsy - the steering is very touchy. This is good at slow speeds in a parking lot, but steering *should* become LESS sensitive at highway speeds - it does not.. you could be off the road with 1/8 to 1/4 of a wheel turn.