2013 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Mixed Feelings
By mrjustin24 on 06/24/14 11:55 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I sold a 2011 Grand Caravan because my wife's Taurus X was falling apart and we needed to use my van as a down payment. We currently have this Focus hatch. It serves its purpose as my daily driver and we even use it for family vacations with 2 kids under 4. We have learned how to pack light. It gets 38-40 hwy mpg easy. I usually get 32 around town. For that I'm grateful. However, the issues with the transmission are true. It will act like it's stalling out every so often when shifting between 1st and 2nd. It also has a popping sound in the front left suspension at low speeds. This is "normal" according to Ford. Everytime I ask them to listen to to it I walk away with the same prob

Weird Transmission
By brsve on 05/23/14 20:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford tells me the unique characteristics of this car's transmission are normal. Normal should not mean it makes crunching noises or does not know when to switch gears, roll backwards or jerks. And fuel mileage is not what it should be and I suspect partly due to the transmission. That part is just a guess I will admit. Traded this car a few days ago for a Civic.

Shiny Junk
By massiejs09 on 02/14/14 09:41 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this car brand new in August 2012 after realizing that I had to say goodbye to my beloved 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid which had about 125,000 miles on it (and was still getting 45mpg!). Fast forward to now -- the car has 16,200 miles on it and might be the biggest piece of junk I have ever driven. It handles TERRIBLY in snow (like the worst I've ever seen). I've had to have the sunroof fixed cause water was leaking into my car every time it rained, and it shakes and judders for no reason. Lots of road noise, bad acceleration. Just awful. I'm trading it in and going back to Honda.

Great car if you don't drive in the winter
By fordguy29 on 01/28/14 17:43 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought this car 6 months ago have 11,000 miles on it and loved it I have the manual so I have had no issues, no shaky parts or rattling, IDK what they are talking about. But drove to work on first snow storm barley covered the roads and I had no traction, traction control almost hurt me worse had to shut it off to get any momentum. Got stuck at a stop light even. I have all season tires on it and it is the worst car I have driven in the winter. Anyone else experience this? I'm debating on trading cars already. Any advice or comments?

After 25,000 miles
By cbrandi on 01/17/14 13:15 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We still love this car. It gives us 40mpg on the highway when wife drives it. I get a little less. We've had no problems with the car, though we don't like the AM transmission, its rubbery and always wants to be in top gear to save gas. As a result it tends to slow accretion. We also note that the air coming out of the vents in summer is warm unless we have AC on. No other complaints. Solid and reliable, fun to drive and comfortable on trips. The hatch back holds an amazing amount of stuff for such a small car. We've toyed with getting the ST.

Transmission Improved
By thai_tim on 01/16/14 00:05 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this car in Thailand in April, 2013. I believe it is the same specification as the US car, with the 2.0 L engine. I am very impressed with the steering and handling, and build quality is excellent. On only 2 occasions, I had some problems with the AT. An oil leak was found by the dealer between the engine and the transmission. This was a major repair for a new car, to replace the seal and clutches. At first I was very disappointed to need such a repair in the 1st year, but after getting the car back, the transmission runs better than in any car (many) I have owned. it now runs better than when new, and I like it more than ever. Often cannot notice the gear changes!

Traction Control they say
By why_did_i on 10/03/13 13:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In July purchased a new 2013 Focus standard transmission. I commute 200 KMs daily and when the car was at 1600 KM I heard a clunk while on the HWY in 5th gear doing over 100 KM an hour. The car would not accelerate over 80 KM, the dealer looked it over and said nothing is wrong. A few weeks later sitting on the HWY stopped behind other vehicles and tried to accelerate into the right lane. The car chugged and almost stalled, this has happen a few times. I have an open CSR with Ford and they told me to leave the car with them for the week. I was told they couldn't find anything so I took a mechanic out for a drive. The issue happened, I am told this is normal traction control stop the C

So far pleasantly surprised!
By 2013ap3 on 09/29/13 00:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback 5MT. MPG has been good with a high of 33.7 and a low of 31.3 after 1500 miles and 5 weeks of ownership. I have proformance suspension with 18 in wheels. Handles wonderfully on dry or wet roads here in FL. I enjoy all the tech extras, I traded in a 2003 Honda Pilot with 170K miles. Still learning to use MyFord Touch with SYNC efficiently.

A real junker
By 727torqueflite on 09/17/13 05:10 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I went to trade my black 2005 ZX4SE 5-speed in for (hopefully) another black 5-speed Focus back in January 2012. Ended up with a pewter-colored PowerShift (sales manager said I'd get better gas mileage with the auto). 5,495 miles was all I could stand - A/C only worked intermittently (dealer said that was normal), front end made loud crunching noises over bumps, and the transmission felt like a bag of bolts hanging underneith the car. I replaced this car with a 2013 GTI - wish I'd dumped Ford long ago.

Terrible Transmission - Buy something else
By eyandell on 09/03/13 16:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The interior build quality, sync capability and low cabin noise is what attracted me to this car. Now that I've had it for about 3 months it's quite possibly the worst new car I have ever owned. The MyTouch Sync system is very glitchy and slow. The premium sound system 'burps' when at low volume and anything with bass comes on the radio and I don't listen to rap or anything with excessive bass to begin with. The worst part is the transmission. I have had the software updated twice and I'm scheduled for another appointment for a transmission that feels like it's loose and slipping. I will never own another Ford product after the experience I've had.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$144 per month*