Used 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2013 Focus SE
By sts_pa

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2013 Focus SE hatch new 2 years ago and have experienced zero issues with it. Chassis is sublime and engine provides adequate power while returning >30 mpg and easily over 40 on the highway. Interior has too much hard plastic, but that's expected at this price. I love the cloth seats and the hatch holds tons of stuff. The powershift automatic has unpleasant characteristics at low speeds (chattering, lurching), but works great when pressed. Ford seems to deliver the best driving compact in the segment at this price IMHO. Hoping the reliability stays good going forward.

Favorite Features

Fun, tossable chasis with great steering and good ride. Decent performance and great MPG. Nicely laid out interior with comfortable cloth seats and plenty of space in the hatch. Low price for the whole package.

Suggested Improvements

Not crazy about the powershift DCT which will sometimes chatter and shift harshly at low speeds. Also seems to want to upshift too soon. Don't particularly like the backwards arrangement of the windshield wiper controls.

2013 Titanium Focus
By rringo

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

It's hard to believe that people who have written bad reviews have the same car as I do. Yes the tranny can be a little quirky sometimes but this may have a lot to do with the driver. I have owned a lot of vehicles, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota Nissan etc all of which I liked. I love this car and feel it is the most for the money I have ever owned. Runs great, drives great, looks great and is comfortable with great mileage. I've taken trips of 3000 miles. Sorry those other folks didn't get one like mine.

Ford Focus NOT RECOMMENDED!
By franklo

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I disposed of my 2013 Ford Focus on 9-15-14 at a loss. I experienced all of the transmission issues already mentioned including almost getting struck when entering an intersection and the transmission simply stopped giving forward movement. I was always told it is suppose to run like that. At a 35000 mile oil change I was told a seal between the transmission and engine had failed an oil had leaked from the engine. It was repaired and I was then told about a surprise extended warranty on the part and associated parts from Ford only Ford did not say anything until a week after the repair. All of the shuddering eventually started back up again and on 9-14-14 I noticed a burnt rubber smell from

haaaaaaaaaaaated it
By patchwyrk

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove an automatic 02 focus hb for 10 years and LOVED it. I thought I was upgrading with the 2013. If you are used to a manual transmission this would probably be ok. It has the same shuddery jerky bumpy shift and backwards roll features that are on a standard transmission. I had it under 2 months and bought a different brand. It was that bad.

Favorite Features

neat lookin overall sparkly paint decent audio. It connected with my ipod had gusto when you gas on it good rain wiper action

Suggested Improvements

speedometer needs the top middle prominent place, digital display needs to be secondary. digital speed readout would have been good. The mileage was not so great in this car. It had the big WAY too bright display that was always in my face announcing I'm only getting like 19 mpg. Display is way too distracting even on dim. Headrests dont go back far enough. And most of all go back to the old way of automatic shifting. This is a jerky car. If you like a smooth ride, and do lots of city driving this is not your car. The rollback made me paranoid I'd bang into another car behind me. Every time I turned on the A/C the air that came out smelled like peeee. Not sure why but it was bad.

Great commuter
By lrc3395

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in June of 2013. I commute 70 miles each way and the gas for my SUV was killing me. I test drove the automatic and disliked the feel, then drove the 5 speed and liked it much better. I now have 55k miles on the car and it still runs as well as when I drove it off the lot. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever in all those miles and have found the Focus to be a comfortable vehicle. A third of my commute is down a windy mountain road and the Focus handles it very well. It drives well in the rain and I had no complaints with its abilities in the snow last winter. Overall, an excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

I like the Sync infotainment system quite a bit. It is set up to work with Amazon Music, which I use on my phone, and I am able to scroll through my music and change settings with the paddles on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Although I like the styling, it is a little generic. The hatchback looks so similar to the Mazda 3 and Subaru Impreza that it's hard to tell them apart. The road noise is a little more than I would like, the back seat is tight, even for my 8 year old, and the power drops off with the A/C on.