Used 2013 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst transmission ever built
By Mike

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy this car. Ford experimented with a dual-clutch transmission and it was a complete failure. Had a 2012 and 2013 Ford Focus that I bought for my kids and both were in the shop constantly due to the transmission. The 2013 had the clutch assembly replaced twice. Ford would never admit that the transmission was a flop even though the extended the warranty on it for 7 years. I contacted the regional customer service rep and they just gave me the standard line that "Ford will continue to repair the problem." What good is the car if it is always in the shop being repaired. This was my first experience with buying a Ford and it will be my last. Traded in both cars for a Chevy Cruze and a Toyota Corolla. Since Ford won't admit their mistakes and take care of their customers, I will never be a customer of theirs again. I guess the old Ford motto still holds true - Found On Road Dead.

Must get the standard transmission.
By Sean

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Matted to the 5 speed standard gearbox this car is an excellent "driver's car". The transmission is easy to shift and very smooth although not as refined as some European offerings. The car handles well and acceleration is excellent. This car was reading 165 WHP on a dyno- completely stock! Those are very impressive numbers for a car that is getting 30+ miles to the gallon and an excellent start if one was to consider tuning the vehicle. The interior feels like a much more expensive car than it really is.

My only gripe is with the Ford My Touch System- it can be very frustrating and difficult to use at times- even three years after owning the car.

Also, this car gets a lot of knocks because of the automatic transmission that most came with.. well if you can't row you own gears I don't feel bad for you. If your buying a 4 cylinder vehicle with an automatic transmission I'm not really impressed with your decision making skills. A standard is always the better choice with a smaller engine.

Found on road dead
By Charles wilson

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a terrible transmission issue shuddering and total failure as a car. Ours had been in the shop 6 times all due to issues of some kind in the transmission at least 2 times per each item

Little Did I Know
By Jack

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Ford because I had driven a Ford rental and found it an extremely comfortable drive. I make frequent trips of over 100 miles and my previous car just wore me out- it was so uncomfortable. The Focus front seats are very comfortable, as is the steering wheel.
Then I discovered the shuddering joys of the dual-clutch tranny. I couldn't believe a car manufacturer would knowingly produce thousands of cars with such clearly defective and dated technology. Especially as they were trying to make a comeback in the car market.
Anyway, I got used (believe it or not) to the shudder I experienced when starting up and just appreciated the comfortable ride, the bluetooth technology, and being able to listen to my ipod while driving. The car gets decent gas mileage (approx. 31 highway/26 city) and has been very reliable. I've mostly just taken it in for regular maintenance.
The interior storage is the worst I've ever experienced resulting in there being hardly any. The glove box is most poorly designed glove box I've ever seen (no sides), to the point where it's almost useless. I ended up putting a squarish bag in there just so all my stuff wouldn't fall out.
I hate to think what I'll get for my Focus in trade or resale.

Disaster on wheels
By Krystal

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One of the happiest days of my life, getting rid of this piece! I had the transmission replaced 5 times. It continuously tore holes in the oil tank, so that was replaced too. But don't worry, Ford will give you a 100,000 mile warranty and replace it over and over because they acknowledge that their engineering is below standard. It's really fun to drive along with the transmission jerking you around. And, you never know how the car will take off from a stopped position, so many surprises in an accident just waiting to kill someone.
The navigation starts about 5 minutes after you need it to.
Once, I was in a parking lot, clicked the unlock button on the key fob, and the car began to make a lovely loud sound just like that of a boiling kettle. Everyone in the parking lot ran because we were sure that car was about to blow up.
I bought the car brand new but have learned the valuable lesson; never buy a Ford!