Used 2013 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Should have stayed with Honda
By tamie45

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Focus SE on June 18th 2014. I was initially impressed by the styling and that it was loaded with tech. Unfortunately, all the tech in the world could not make up for the DCT and how awful it was to drive. Even the tech left a lot to be desired. While I initially liked it, I found the controls for the infotainment system to be very hard to use while driving. The saving grace was that it had voice commands to bypass the very convoluted menu setup. It took less than two months to see the writing on the wall about this car and I traded it in for a Honda Civic. I ended up losing money because I traded it in so soon but it was the best decision ever!!

Favorite Features

The soft touch plastics were nice and I liked the side bolsters on the steering wheel, that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

The DCT of course. I will not elaborate as others have done so exhaustively and better than I ever could. The audio controls proved to be almost unusable while driving unless I was using the voice commands. (There are a ton of voice commands to memorize and I would have liked to have been able to use traditional controls.) Overall, I would not recommend this car to anyone for any reason. It has cast a shadow over Ford in my eyes and I will never buy another one. I will stick with my lower tech, simpler, but MUCH BETTER CAR.... the Honda Civic.

Lemon
By lostgenerati

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Ford Focus 22500 miles. What a piece of .... Three motors.Unsolved Transmissions problems, Dead battery, 2 months in the service bay. 1:30 am tow was priceless. The great thing is the 2014 and 2015 are having the same problems..So if you buy one here is your new routine. 1 buy car,2 Be told there is nothing wrong with the transmission. When you need to get out and rock it to back up.surges while driving .. Its your imagination. 3 Drive to service bay and wait for days 4 break down, get towed, and end up selling for less than you brought it for.Or just buy a Toyota and save your self so much aggravation.

Favorite Features

The TOW at 1:30 AM..It was a moon lit night. The stars where bright.The car looked so nice on the back of the tow truck this night. A priceless memory

Suggested Improvements

Do not sell this car..I believe you would get more in scrap metal

Merits your consideration: Go for the Manual Transmission and sans - MFT for maximum reliability
By benevento

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

ery good choice, however for maximum reliability (and long term maintenance cost savings) skip the Dual Clutch and the My Ford Touch options. Bought in July 2013, 5000 troublefree, comfortable miles so far. The Manual transmission's the better choice by far (you take a little hit in fuel economy ironically, but trust me, it's gonna cost a LOT less to maintain than the dual clutch) Comfortable on long drives (- saw an average of 39 MPG on 800 mile trip ), adequate pep for city stop and go, plus passing on highways (3rd gear is very sweet around 5500 rpm . . . ). Definitely spec'ed well, and punches a bit above its price range - But get the manual w/o MFT

Favorite Features

Interior build quality / fit and finish; styling, and overall performance

Suggested Improvements

Base model needs the Alloy rims. A stainless steel exhaust tip would improve styling. Lumbar support would have been nice.

5 Speed Manual is a champ!!
By John Walton

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hearing a lot of bad reviews about the automatic not being a good choice. Duh, it's a 4 cylinder! What were you expecting the automatic version to be like? When has a four cylinder with an automatic ever been a good, reliable, engaging choice? [non-permissible content removed]. I leased this car with 90 miles, it now has 21,000 trouble free miles on it and I'm seriously considering buying out when the lease is up. The My Touch sucks and has been the only glaring deficiency. When an aftermarket system is available best believe the annoying Ford voice is gone. Drove this 1,600 miles across the country with out a hiccup. It was a very comfortable ride too.

Favorite Features

5 speed Punchy base engine Decent materials/ workmanship Sharp car, will be relevant for a while

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of/ overhaul MyTouch. A 6th gear would be nice option. Body panels seem much more delicate than previous ford vehicles.

Nope
By acabaner

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, I realize it's dumb to buy a car and not like it; but I had a good test drive & it made sense due to being a good used deal. Wanted a middle ground compact car; that is decent performance and economy. Cruze, Civic, Elantra weren't gutsy enough; and something like the Si is fun but not practical enough. I came from a 2008 Mazda 3 5spd which I now realize was amazing, but figured would change it up. Inside is cramped, the center stack is huge and has no storage. Rear leg room is poor/worse. Auto transmission (not select shift) is hit or miss; can be very smooth or very stupid. Fuel economy is not as hoped. The 3 got me 25 in mostly city driving (rated 23/29); and this gets 28.5.

Favorite Features

Sync is alright. Decent engine (although bested by Hyundai 2.0 or Mazda skyactive). Good visibility (but A pillars). Looks fine. Handles well & feels secure. Good steering wheel. Supportive driver seat. Comfortable on a long drive. Get impression that it's solid. Trunk pops open. Starts nicely (don't have to hold key down); instant almost like a push button. Auto headlights. I need more characters for improvements so adding more here: Plastics seem cheap. Wouldn't the door sill be better suited for the soft texture that the dash has? How often do you touch the dash? More than resting arm by window? Turning on parking lights and interior screens every time open door is dumb.

Suggested Improvements

Usability. Look inside an Elantra; it's brilliant. More standard amenities, storage, room, etc. Center stack & glove box intrudes on passenger; claustrophobic. Console is dumb; have to remove the upper compartment to reach inside. Big trunk to fill with luggage for passengers that won't fit in the car. Rear floor hump, windows not full down. Non selectshift trans is ridiculous; that should be the standard (I'm sure the manual is fine, but wanted an auto so other family members could drive it). "L" mode is dumbest thing ever. Often jerky or tire slip. Ability to do more stuff with Sync while in motion; especially if car knows you have a passenger. Looks odd w/o fog-lights.