2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
FORD Focus Electric Super Batteries
By eaa on 09/26/14 17:40 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Electric 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have had a FORD Focus Electric for 2 years now. In the Phoenix heat most batteries loss capacity from the extreme heat. The FFE seems to have beat that with their Tesla like liquid cooled battery pack. I have not lost even 1 % by checking with my SCAN GAUGE from Linear Logic in the OBD2 port .

What A Hassle
By husker1960 on 09/24/14 14:58 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought a brand new 2013 Ford Focus Titanium with all the options including navigation and the handling package which comes with 20,000 mile summer tires that are ridiculously expensive to replace. We had severe transmission noise from day one. The transmission was grinding really loud along with some clunking noises, people walking or riding a bicycle would stare at a brand new car wondering what was wrong with it. In 4000 miles the car was in the shop four times for transmission issues over a six month period. The local Ford dealer finally agreed to replace the transmission control computer, it took three weeks to get the part in from China, it didn't fix the problem.

Ford Focus NOT RECOMMENDED!
By franklo on 09/19/14 08:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I disposed of my 2013 Ford Focus on 9-15-14 at a loss. I experienced all of the transmission issues already mentioned including almost getting struck when entering an intersection and the transmission simply stopped giving forward movement. I was always told it is suppose to run like that. At a 35000 mile oil change I was told a seal between the transmission and engine had failed an oil had leaked from the engine. It was repaired and I was then told about a surprise extended warranty on the part and associated parts from Ford only Ford did not say anything until a week after the repair. All of the shuddering eventually started back up again and on 9-14-14 I noticed a burnt rubber smell from

Great commuter
By lrc3395 on 09/04/14 10:23 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in June of 2013. I commute 70 miles each way and the gas for my SUV was killing me. I test drove the automatic and disliked the feel, then drove the 5 speed and liked it much better. I now have 55k miles on the car and it still runs as well as when I drove it off the lot. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever in all those miles and have found the Focus to be a comfortable vehicle. A third of my commute is down a windy mountain road and the Focus handles it very well. It drives well in the rain and I had no complaints with its abilities in the snow last winter. Overall, an excellent vehicle.

Lemon, lemon, lemon
By sds5858 on 09/02/14 12:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this brand new 2013 focus one year ago three months after I had it I had to put new tires on it because they were almost bald, then it started to shutter like my transmission was going out(they have finally recalled that part) terrible terrible terrible in the snow and now the air conditioning is out.. Mechanically This car is a piece of crap! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM IT!!!

Stay Away / Faulty Transmissions
By jack8384 on 08/26/14 00:49 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the Focus SE sedan with the faulty automatic transmission. I bought it brand new and first noticed the transmission to start acting crazy around 4500 miles. I've read many similar complaints and see that Ford won't correct the problem. They issued a TSB on these trannies only to replace the clutch pack which doesn't help. They say it's the way it's designed to operate and theres no fix. WHAT ? Then why issue the TSB ? When I test drove the car it didn't do this. I would have stayed away then. Car lunges forward at stops, backs up by itself without giving it gas, the shift shuttering/slipping is the biggest problem.

Should have stayed with Honda
By tamie45 on 08/24/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Focus SE on June 18th 2014. I was initially impressed by the styling and that it was loaded with tech. Unfortunately, all the tech in the world could not make up for the DCT and how awful it was to drive. Even the tech left a lot to be desired. While I initially liked it, I found the controls for the infotainment system to be very hard to use while driving. The saving grace was that it had voice commands to bypass the very convoluted menu setup. It took less than two months to see the writing on the wall about this car and I traded it in for a Honda Civic. I ended up losing money because I traded it in so soon but it was the best decision ever!!

Mixed Feelings
By mrjustin24 on 06/24/14 11:55 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I sold a 2011 Grand Caravan because my wife's Taurus X was falling apart and we needed to use my van as a down payment. We currently have this Focus hatch. It serves its purpose as my daily driver and we even use it for family vacations with 2 kids under 4. We have learned how to pack light. It gets 38-40 hwy mpg easy. I usually get 32 around town. For that I'm grateful. However, the issues with the transmission are true. It will act like it's stalling out every so often when shifting between 1st and 2nd. It also has a popping sound in the front left suspension at low speeds. This is "normal" according to Ford. Everytime I ask them to listen to to it I walk away with the same prob

great car after 12,000 miles don't be afraid
By neohiofocusguy on 06/19/14 06:05 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have now put on 12,000 miles on my 2013 ford focus se with 6speed dct auto. It has been a great car. Don't be afraid of the transmission. It shifts very smooth is nice. If you drive consistently and don't step on the gas hard it very rarely gives a bad shift. If you step on the gas hard it can be slow to downshift or sometimes might stay in existing great instead of upshifting. The transmission is an automated manual and thats how it gets amazing gas mileage. I get 39/40 mpg real world driving when the weather is good and I drive about 80% highway 20% city. In low speed driving like a parking lot it is not as nice as a regular automatic but it is fine just be easy on the gas. T

Nope
By acabaner on 06/10/14 10:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, I realize it's dumb to buy a car and not like it; but I had a good test drive & it made sense due to being a good used deal. Wanted a middle ground compact car; that is decent performance and economy. Cruze, Civic, Elantra weren't gutsy enough; and something like the Si is fun but not practical enough. I came from a 2008 Mazda 3 5spd which I now realize was amazing, but figured would change it up. Inside is cramped, the center stack is huge and has no storage. Rear leg room is poor/worse. Auto transmission (not select shift) is hit or miss; can be very smooth or very stupid. Fuel economy is not as hoped. The 3 got me 25 in mostly city driving (rated 23/29); and this gets 28.5.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Focus in VA is:

$149 per month*