Round'n Round'n Round We Go...
By acskurt on
2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
Bought the 2012 Focus April this year. Within 500 miles had it back in the shop twice due to tranny shifting bad. This transmission is the worst thing Ford has snuck onto it's public since the Pinto. Even after reprogramming the transmission TWICE, the car's driveability is the most unpridictable of any car I have driven. When I pulled into traffic on June 5, it shifted from 1st to 4th within 15 feet and nearly got me killed. I took the death trap back to the dealer and gave it to them. Dealer says "talk to Ford" - Ford says "talk to the dealer". I'll probably Lemon Law the car unless I'm made happy this week.
By fdeangelo
on 07/30/12 00:02 AM (PDT)

I recently drove a 2012 Focus for several weeks (rental after my old car was totaled). I really like the dual clutch transmission. The car has a very european feel. Yes, it hesitates off the line because of tall gearing, but once the car gets moving, it flies. Styling, performance, great interior material quality. This car has it all.

By heydithhh
on 10/11/12 05:26 AM (PDT)

This car is absolutely HORRIBLE. I understand the dual clutch transmission and whatever BS they want to throw at us, but WHY DOES THIS CAR NOT PERFORM LIKE THIS IN TEST DRIVES!?!?! Someone wrote that they were told the jerking is normal in the first thousand miles? Mine has 55,000 and JUST starting doing this. For my car to just begin driving like this is NOT normal. Ford needs to fix this and FAST. And if they plan on keeping this tranmission in their cars, maybe they should hire some intelligent sales people and mechanics who can properly explain the ins and outs of the transmissions so those of us who do not want to be Ricky Bobby can stay clear.

By centralohioan
on 07/13/12 14:08 PM (PDT)

We asked about the sputtering starts from a standstill and were told it is normal during the first few thousand miles' breakin period. Is this true? We like everything about our 2012 Focus SE Hatchback except this.

By simplyteeb
on 07/22/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

I have a 2012 Titanium Hatchback with the same transmission. I love how it works. It is NOT a normal automatic....so get used to it. It shifts when it needs to and you have to learn how to drive it. I have so much fun in SPORT mode zipping around the country roads near our camp in Lewisburg, WV. You let off the gas, tranny stays in the gear it's in and if you touch the brakes it down shift to get you through that sharp turn easier and you have full power when you come out of the turn. I rarely use the +/- button to shift, because the tranny is so intelligent on it's own. BEST CAR I'VE DRIVEN out of the 24 cars I've had in my 36 years of driving. :)

By valinks
on 06/27/12 11:22 AM (PDT)

I also bought a 2012 Ford focus SEL 4 door March 31, 2012--and you are absolutely right this transmission is HORRIBLE!!!! Ford should be ashamed of themselves for putting something together that looks so pretty but drives like a bucking horse. It shimmies, it shakes, it lurches, it sounds like it's grinding gears EVERY time you take off from a stop, just plain disgusting. Have taken it to service twice in the 3 months I've owned because I keep thinking something is wrong with the transmission only to be told "this is the way this transmission is supposed to operate" REALLY!?!?!?!? So Ford knows they put a joke of a transmission in this car??? Utterly disgusting. Spoke with a Regional Sales Representative at Ford just a bit ago who told me "we're sorry you're not pleased with the vehicle but since it is not a repair issue there is nothing we can do. You are welcome to take the car to another service department to have it checked again" SURE--I want to take this car to the shop every day-that's absolutely why I bought it?! Wish I had bought an old klunker car instead, at least then I would understand why it drove horribly. Never will I purchase a Ford vehicle again, buyer beware.

By jwcleckner
on 07/18/12 16:06 PM (PDT)

This is the way a dual clutch transmission is supposed to work! Yes, it's not perfect, this is a relatively new application in production cars. Up until recently it's only been used in racing cars. And yes, it's made in Mexico. So, I agree Ford could have done a better job, but once you learn how to use it, it's not a problem. It makes the car more fuel efficient, And when you floor the accelerator pedal, it just works so quickly to shift gears and the Focus takes off!

By justford14
on 08/01/12 15:27 PM (PDT)

Love the posts.. oh get use to basically sitting there for second or two then flying out into lanes of traffic. That is so fun when crossing lanes of traffic leaving a store. You push on the gas the car should go and not need a count down to go time.