Last Ford Car
By texasmilitary on
2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
I'm terrified to drive this thing. Much like the other reviews, the shuddering was an issue from the start, but I was told that it was part of the new design. Two years into it, I can tolerate it. However, now the car just decelerates for no reason and the check engine light comes on. Keep in mind that this happens anywhere and anytime, even on a major highway going 70 miles an hour. The first time it scared me so bad. I took it in and they claimed it was an engine light issue, kept it for two days, fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than a week later the car has decelerated and come to a complete stop 3 times. I took it back to the dealership...I will update you on their response.
Favorite Features
I'm still scared so I can't think of any.
Suggested Improvements
Replace the transmission.
By fairnfreckles
on 02/28/14 10:24 AM (PST)

This sounds a whole lot like what happened to me with my 2008 Ford Taurus. The deceleration is a "safety" component that is supposed to get you over to the side of the road "safely" so as not to do any further damage to your engine/transmission when the check engine light comes on. Problem is, when you're in the fast lane of the highway, doing 75 going uphill in solid two lane traffic - deceleration is NOT going to help you get to the side of the road safely. I purchased my vehicle in 2011 as a used vehicle - first one I ever bought used. The Dodge I had previously had a huge amount of transmission problems, so I thought I'd be better off getting a newer car - no transmission problems, right? Wrong! As it was explained to me (after my panic attack subsided and I made it to the side of the road, 3 miles later) is the deceleration will happen when anything is going on with the engine/transmission that could be damaging if you continue to drive it. For me, it was a transmission computer part. The second time it happened (exactly one month later) it was a sensor in the transmission. Don't take their word for it that it's a light issue, that doesn't sound right. The car is telling you something even if the mechanics aren't listening! Good luck to you. Other than those two instances, I actually really like my Taurus except for the crappy gas mileage. Oh, and I've also found a certified mechanic to take care of my car that doesn't rob me blind...that helps cause the dealers always seem to find things wrong that aren't covered under warranty or extended warranty.

By chrisg1971
on 02/18/14 17:03 PM (PST)

My wife just called me on the phone describing this exact same symptom. While on the phone I heard the car powering down. She ended up putting it in neutral as she pulled off the road and it started working again. This car has been in the shop 4 times for clutch work. 3 of those 4 times Ford said the shutter was normal and there was nothing they could do. So we took it to another Ford dealership and they said it's a known issue and replaced the 2 clutches and we thought we had a reliable nice running car again. Curious if your car shuttered a lot and if the clutches were ever replaced. I can't believe you were told that it was an engine light issue, that makes no sense at all. Go find another dealership and get another opinion. I just hope what ever is broke is covered under the power train or Ford is going to hear the full wrath of my wife.