Nice commuter car, no major issues at 12k miles
By nunyer on
2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
Not quite the perfect small car, but fun to drive. Sometimes it is hesitant to downshift in a passing situation or after coasting for a bit, which doesn't instill a ton of confidence. When the trans finds where it needs to be, there is more power available then you'd expect from this segment. My mileage during a pretty bad Detroit winter was 31mpg overall. The jerky stick shift like behavior in my car slowly subsided over the first 2k miles. Trunk space is impressive, rear leg room is not. Overall, I am satisfied for the money I spent, but not blown away. The combination of incentives, employee discount and being built in my home state tipped me away from the competition.
Favorite Features
Fuel economy is impressive. The 10 speaker Sony branded stereo in the SEL model is solid. Straight line acceleration is very good for a small/economy car. Handling is nimble, steering feel and response is tight without feeling twitchy. Overall ride quality is superb for the size of car. Cabin is quiet, with little wind or engine noise, although the lower profile tires on the SEL can transmit a bit more road noise than I'd like.
Suggested Improvements
Electronics can be a bit finicky, but about 80% of what I do is via the steering wheel controls, so I haven't had a major issue with taking my eyes off the road to play with the touch screen. The front console area could be narrowed a bit to allow for slightly wider front seats. I am average size male, 6ft 180lbs, and I liked the driver seat better in my 12 year old Civic that I traded in. I also would gladly sacrifice some trunk space for a tad more rear leg room for my kids. Generally, they don't ride in this car so it was not a deal breaker. As I said earlier, the trans probably needs more refinement and I have some long term reliability concerns with the dual clutch configuration.
By nunyer
on 01/14/14 07:05 AM (PST)

Update for 22k: Ten thousand miles later and still no major complaints. My example has developed a slight rattle in the headliner, somewhere around the light cluster / sunglasses holder. I'll have it looked at next oil change. Also, there was one occasion when the MyTouch system appeared to hang at "boot". It was an extremely cold morning, and turning the car off and restarting it solved the issue. According to the onboard system, my overall mileage for 22k miles is 30.9 mpg. I'm guessing I could add a third or maybe a half mile per gallon or so to that number, based on how often I've used the remote starter to let the car idle and warm or cool the passenger compartment. The transmission in my example has only gotten better with age. The car can still be hesitant to downshift to pass, but acceleration from a dead stop is generally very smooth. While it still isn't in the same league as a conventional hydraulic automatic, I have no complaints and the 150k maintenance interval is nice.