Fun to Drive
By skimike4 on
2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I've been driving the Focus long enough now where I can give an objective review. Overall, the car has a premium feel to it. I have the base model hatchback and it's still got a really upscale feel to it. This is not anything like the super cheap Focus Ford was making not so many years ago. Two big cons that I see: 1) The automatic transmission needs help. Personally, I don't shift my car into the next gear when it's below 2000 rpm, but my Focus thinks that's a good idea. You know that sound a car makes when you shift up too soon? My car makes that sound everytime I accelerate gently. I'm hoping Ford fixes this for 2013. 2) The inside door handles are super cheap feeling.
Favorite Features
Tight steering, good acceleration, fun to drive, great looking from the outside. 30mpg in mixed driving with the A/C on. 33mpg with it off.
Suggested Improvements
The automatic transmission shifts way too soon, unless you STOMP on the gas pedal. Maybe that's what Ford wants me to do, I don't know.
By jonkit99
on 08/26/11 10:21 AM (PDT)

I have read all of the comments and some I semi agree with others "no way"! Lets get started. I ordered this Focus very early to take advantage of the $500 incentive Ford offered and since I was not locked in to taking it if I wasn't satisfied. I had been following this car on Edmunds since it was listed. I had a 2005 Focus Hatch that I liked very much and was put out when it was not offered in 2008. I too was looking at the Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatch but I'm glad I waited. Now I leased and selected the SE trim line because: A. It fit my budget, B. I did not need a traveling audio laboratory, the sound system supplied is very enjoyable but I do miss the Sat. radio. C. I know where I am going and how to get there so did not need any navigation add ons, D. The cloth seats are quite sturdy and attractive, so much for leather. The tilt & telescope steering wheel a must for tall guys like me and there is plenty of head room. No power seat but since I am the only driver it's a set once and forget it situation. The main complaint. I gather. is the transmission. Well at 1000 miles my tran. is excellent, maybe it does need a break-in period. At present the tran. is a non issue for me. It shifts smoothly and quietly. If you are a pedal stomper and have to be first away from the light then maybe a Ferrari is the car for you. Those little up-scale goodies are great! When you enter the car all, and I mean ALL, the lights come on, even in the footwells, key left-in chime nice, tap the directional stalk and you get three flashes for lane changes, ought to help eliminate those always on directionals that folks forget are on. The message panels tell me everything I need to know. No gas cap will help those that can't remember what they did with it. The quietness of the cabin is exceptional, Ford must have loaded the car with sound insulation. Ride smooth, handling just fine. Now you probably have figured out that I really like this automobile, right you are, I might buy this one at lease end. What can I complain about? Not much. I wish the speedometer numerals were a bit larger, a bit difficult to read during bright daylight. The windshield wipers destroyed themselves in the middle of a downpour. Dealer fixed that with no problem. I suspect they were defective from day one. The wiper blades are 29 inches long, I kid you not!, I have never seen such large wiper blades. Each has its own 'puter controlled motor. There is quite a lot of glass in the windshield and it is at a rather sharp angle hence the long blades.That angle provides a very deep glove box though. Oh yeah, this Focus is one sharp looking beauty also. I look for excuses to drive it!

By h8uall
on 11/16/11 18:14 PM (PST)

Reviewing a manual, but bought an automatic?