2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
A happy camper
By jfoehner on 10/12/11 12:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Wow, my SEL has a great ride, very quite, quality interior materials, sound system very good and already getting 33 mpg mixed town and highway driving. It's turned a number of heads where ever I go. People really like the exterior lines and didn't realize it was a Ford product.

Loving it so far
By timothyp7 on 10/09/11 07:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Loaded SE Manual, and am coming from a Nissan Pathfinder, so am having a little bit of culture shock. Lets go through a few Negatives first: 1) It would have been great if the back seats folded flat, it would have made for a larger cargo area. 2) The drivers area is designed for someone with longer legs than mine. I have a 29' inseam and feel like I am a little to far forward to be able to use the arm rest on either side, and shifting is a little to far forward with my short legs... I will grow use to that after awhile. 3) The rear wings do take up a lot of the rear window, so creates a big blind spot. I use to be a truck driver I will also get use to that pretty quick.

Beats competition, sexy design, room for improvement
By humblepatience on 10/07/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have an SE titanium almost fully loaded, parking package and premium package.

Focus SE Hatch / A Driver's car
By nickinpitt on 10/02/11 15:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just sold my Nissan Altima (5sp, 2.5L) in for a Ford Focus Hatch. The Focus hatch (manual) is a fantastic little small luxury ride - one that feels like a german sedan w/o the price tag, insurance hike, and worry about part cost. The manual is perfectly paired to the engine, it is quiet @ 80, and option package 203A does a great job for what it is supposed to do (Sirius, bluetooth, MP3 player pairing). If you are in the market for a small to mid-size ride, you owe it to yourself to at least consider this car. I applaud what Hyundai has done - but they are a generation behind when it comes to this small hatch. Good luck in your purchase, Nick

Happy, Happy
By finesse1 on 09/30/11 10:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had this car for over a month now (1250 miles) and love how well it handles. I love the manual trans and I'm comming from a BMW 328 CI manual! Gas milage is edging up with every fill up. Now avg 29 - 30 mpg only because it is fun to push it around corners and thru traffic. Very comfortable, quiet and user friendly. Sports package is a must! It's still new enough in my area to draw stares, smiles and an occasional nod. So far looks to be a great choise!

My wife says "It's adorable"
By crazydave55 on 09/22/11 10:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a SE Hatch with Sports Package, and the beautiful Tuscany leather interior. I wanted to park my 07 Shelby Mustang GT (preservation and better mileage) and get something cheaper to wear out commuting to work every day here in Houston. I could not be more pleased, and my wife says it's cute and adorable. It's a win-win. I see some new owners with issues and problems posting here. Those should be taken in context, this car is a brand new design (for the US) and coming out of a brand new (reconfigured) plant. There's always growing pains related to those two things. I highly recommend the 2012 Focus. Read the magazine reviews, almost always picked #1 over the competition.

FINALLY Euro Focus is here!
By lifeisahighway on 09/21/11 10:47 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just took delivery of my 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch on Sept. 17th. So far, the car has been reliable, but time will tell. I have read many reviews complaining about the dual clutch auto, and I haven't experienced anything negative with it. I do notice that the transmission is reluctant to accelerate from a stop, but I think that's because the engine needs to rev higher. That is when the car opens up more. My previous car was a 2000 Toyota corolla, so ANYTHING is an upgrade from that! Most features that people take for granted, I LOVE having now. The very first day, I did notice some rough shifts, but I think that was just the car breaking in. The car has been smooth shifting since then.

2012 Focus I regret buying!!
By mylilmule on 09/21/11 06:50 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had my Focus for about 5 months now and while the car looks awesome, I can't really recommend it to anyone. After 5 weeks of owning it, the sun roof exploded on my while I was driving down the interstate. It then sat at the dealer for 5 weeks waiting for a new sun roof. The shifting is horrible and unpredictable and is usually in third gear before you hit 15mph. The MyFord Touch is awesome, when it's not locked up. I had to do a battery disconnect at one point because it was locked up and now my gas mileage sucks. I was getting over 40mpg before that on the hwy but now am getting about 33mpgs. HUGE difference. Looks aren't everything, but you find out the hard way...

Completely Bi-polar car
By daddy7 on 09/19/11 13:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Just received my SEL Hatchback, I opted for the 301A, Nav, Winter Package, and Remote Start. This car is driving me crazy. So many pros and then a few super annoying cons that have completely ruined this new car experience and have me wishing I had gone elsewhere.

2012 Focus has Transmission issues
By psheldon on 09/15/11 16:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Been reading reviews. Yes, I know it's an automated dual clutch and am familiar with the technology. It's a good design. However, the computer setting is dubious and our dealer covered up. Shifting was jerky and we were told it was "normal" or due to being an early model. Then recently it revved to 4000 and more in shifting - sounded a mess and engine light came on. Normal -- or who's lying? Heard it was adjusting itself and a computer upgrade was needed. Have been told it was "Normal" "Battery problem" "Get the regular computer update," How insulting can your service department be? Asked for computer printout -- "Delayed shift" Fully fine now (for now?) with new computer setting.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*