Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
By kej3

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased car in January 2012 and now have 21K on vehicle. No problems with anything so far. Last week I set the cruise at 100Km for 30 Km and then at 82 Km for 18 Km and when I stopped the average liters/100 Km were 5.0 This works out to 56.5 MPG (Imperial) or pretty close to the 58 MPG rating on the sticker. I wish there were more storage places in the front/dash for cell phones/change etc. Most people that ride in the car are impressed with the interior fit and finish. I think it would be too small for a family but for 2 people it's just fine. One pet peeve is that my acoustic guitar won't fit in the back unless the seatbacks are down.

Favorite Features

Rain sensitive wipers. heated seats, ambient lighting, Fast warm up in cold weather and handles well on corners. Much quieter inside than my 08 Accord.

Suggested Improvements

Thinner front pillars to aid in seeing to the left and right, Move heating and cooling controls up higher on the dash so you don't have to take yours eyes off the road so long to adjust them. I would like more storage areas in the front either on the dash or the consul for change/cell phones etc.

No more Hondas
By no_more_hondas

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This 40-year Honda owner had to rent a car and got an '12 Focus 4-dr. Wow! I went to the dealer and saw a h'back. I drove it with the man/auto 6-spd and was sold. Ordered mine (SE with Sport pkg. and 203A) and have 7K on it in 3 months. NEVER before have I felt like a car was custom built for me. Seat is like a glove, it's fast with smooth acceleration (the initial minor tranny stumble goes away by 1K) and solid as a rock (sorry Chevy). 31 mpg city and 41 hwy for an average since new of 35.4 mpg! It'll blow the doors off most V-6's and the Sync system, while confusing, offers great sound quality. My wife is ditching her '12 Civic for a red '13 H'back to 'one-up' my black '12.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling with Sport pkg., build quality, mpg and acceleration, styling (sexy for old coots to be driving a black h'back that turns young gals heads), hatchback capacity, visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Sync system simple enough to be used by those of us without 4 years of computer science classes under our belts. A radio doesn't need 3 ways to change the station, volume, etc. Could use heavier tint in the windows due to the large glass area and put the Sync microphone out of the range of the a/c vents so it picks up voice commands under all fan settings. (Ford, does the term 'focus group' ring a bell?)

After almost 30000 miles
By con2er

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm 81 years of age and my wife is 76 years of youth, and we have been married for 53+ years. Our 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, which we bought in August of 2011 is almost what we hoped for, except for tire wear and poor radio reception. 40+ mpg on trips of 400+ miles, and overall mpg for 29827 miles is an amazing 37.9 mpg. After owning Mustangs, Torinos and a Pantera, which is still in the family, speed has gotten out of my system. Excellent handling is still required and present in this car, so I now drive for max mpg. A new radio module will be replaced in 2013, which leaves me with one problem, that being cupping of all 4 tires, now being remedied, with a tighter realignment & new tire

Favorite Features

It has to be the miles per gallon, which may be attributed in part by the way we drive. No jackrabbit starts; use cruise control as much as possible, even by paddling off cruise coming into tight curves instead of using brakes and then accelerating out of the curve by paddling back on; using straight unleaded gas instead of ethanol seems to give us 1+ more mpg, when you can find it, although it is usually more expensive. Also, 65 mph uses about 10% less fuel than 70 mph, and in rural areas 55 mph is 10-15% better than 60 mph. If anyone has more ideas than these, I would appreciate hearing from you at con2er@aol.com. Studying and looking at a K&N air intake for possible future use.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up alignment specs to as close as possible to zero and offering a better tire off the assembly line to those of us that like to buy right off the showroom floor

DO NOT BUY...
By spill100

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Multiple issues: 1.Presets on MyTouch screen disappear, the Sat Radio stations are still prgrammed just do not show up on screen, i see empty boxes, this has happened five seperate times. 2.While backing out of a parking space the Focus shuddered heavily and then stoped moving (as in vehicle would not continue to move), the vehicle had to be turned off and back on to correct issue, this happened twice. 3. From a standstill like a stoplight or stop sign, the vehicle lightly shudders when accelerating, this happens constantly. 4.Numerous lights inside the vehicle have malfunctioned but have been switched out as per warranty. 5. Vehicle also "stalled" out in traffic nearly causing an accident!

Favorite Features

I do like the design of the vehicle, but in the end this vehicle is going to hurt someone.

Suggested Improvements

Replace transmission with one that works. Ford failed to achieve a working mix of clutch and automatic transmissions. Also stop building half the vehicle in Mexico, could be a cause for the lack of Quality Control.

Re-flash
By capte

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Your Ford dealers can "re-flash" or update your computer program that controls shift points, pressure settings, etc. to correct the issues you might be having. I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning so I will let you know how it works after I drive it a few days with the updated tranny program.

Favorite Features

Great handling, great looks and great gas mileage in a reasonably priced car.

Suggested Improvements

There could be more storage compartments on the dash and console. See Hyundai Elantra GT for a nicley designed interior.