2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Chug Chug Jerk Choke
By susmak on 12/05/12 16:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

$27K vehicle, my 1st Ford and my retirement car. At 6,500 miles: 1. Major issue - "known" transmission issue. Upon acceleration the vehicle feelsl like it is not getting gas, chugs, and it feels like it will die. Dealer reprogrammed PCM /TCM with no improvement in performance. Was told not to bring the vehicle back because there is nothing more that can be done. Totally unacceptable. 2. Gas mileage is less than 30 MPG on the highway. 3. New rattles everyday. 4. On some music the speakers get crackly and sound like you blew one out. 5. Cheap interior carpet - major wear on the driver's side. 6. Rear seat belts have weird position and functionality.

Second choice was best choice
By colo4o on 12/05/12 06:59 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the 2012 Focus SEL. I have just put my 4th tank of gas in the car and am averaging in city driving 33.5 mpg. I am 6'3" 200 and have lots of room in the car but would not want to be sitting behind me. My first choice was to be a Chevy but when i went to pick it up it was not ready so to kill time i looked at others that led me to the focus and i could not be happier. The car was purchased from GO Courtesy Ford and i worked with Tony Upton and highly recomend contacting him on your purchase.

New focus automatic transmission and warranty
By 10snyder on 12/03/12 05:55 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Have a 2012 Focus with 16,000 miles, the car shutters and jerks extremely bad when shifthing from 1st to 2nd gear. Local Ford mechanic agrees with me that a new car should not shift this violently but Ford will do nothing to correct the problem. Apparently Ford simply needs to say that other cars of this type do the same thing so this is a normal characteristic of the car. Everything else about the car is great but the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

Terrific Car
By topcat20 on 11/22/12 00:32 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus BEV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After being an early fan of the Leaf, this was clearly a better decision. Better acceleration, better 40-60, and a "gas" to drive. Continue to drive past gas stations and smile. The cost of switching from the old truck to the car, makes the car payments for me. The car is super quiet, fast, and a dream to drive. Take one out for a test drive, you will be so glad that you did. No more tuneups, oil, gas, time, and energy wasters. It is a great car, the only other consideration was the Tesla S. Honestly, quite driving your grandfathers cars, and evolve to an electric. After driving one for 6 months, you look at the gas cars as all antiquated and pat thier time. There is no reason...

Fuel efficient, attractive, great driving car
By sobhall on 11/10/12 01:34 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2012 Ford Focus S w/automatic for 6 months and just under 9000 miles. Great driving car. Relatively quiet and smooth riding for a compact. Terrific handling. Interior is well laid out. Nice seats that are fairly comfortable. Inside and out, the car is a looker. So far, averaging 42.8 mpg. Can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get on the freeway. So far, quite satisfied. Very nice car.

2012 focus 5 door hatchback
By freelanceshots on 10/29/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I am really liking my car. I find excuses to drive it now even though gas is still expensive. Very quiet inside, drives nice, good looking and gets pretty high gas mileage. With a little over 1,000 miles on the motor I'm pulling 32 to 35 in town and 41 to 47 highway trips. These numbers are better then the publicized stats for the 45K to 60K hybrids. Leg room in the back for adults is missing but for me I can over look this detail for now.

Should have kept the Honda
By jeaniem1 on 10/26/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought the car in June 2012. Have questioned that decision every other day. Started out with sluggish low speed performance with hopping and rough/delayed shifting in the transmission. Was told I had to let the car "break itself in" and the shifting would improve. I'm at 10,800 miles and now I've graduated from hopping to shuddering in the first few gears. Especially bad on hills. Like the car just doesn't respond until it has shudder a few times getting into gear. Finally, the Sync system is the absolute worst. Buttons on the screen go missing, GPS gets lost, stays on after the car is off, random loud thumping sound through speakers when car is off. Many updates, still not fixed. Annoying.

Not one regret about buying the Focus
By matt_sevier on 10/24/12 07:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my '12 Focus SE with sport package and 5 spd manual transmission for a couple months now. I have driven it about 4,000 miles so far and I'm still in love with this little hatchback. The other two cars I was seriously considering when shopping were the Mazda 3 with the SkyactivG and 6 spd manual, and the new '13 Dodge Dart II with the 1.4l multi-air and the 6 spd manual. Based on test drives I found the Dart II to have the best power, but it took quite a trip into the higher end of the tachometer to wring it out. The Mazda, by far, had the slickest transmission, which felt like I was in a Miata, but the interior felt dated and generic. The Focus is was the best all around.

Couldn't Wait to Get Rid of It
By justaguy6 on 10/20/12 20:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car was nothing but problems. Owned it for 5 months and had it in the shop with transmission issues 3 times and the screen console went blank on 2 occasions for 1 week intervals. Overall, I really wanted to buy American and thought that this would be the car that would keep me buying American. What a mistake! Have traded it in for a Hyundai - took the loss and couldnt be happier.

2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
By kej3 on 10/17/12 17:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased car in January 2012 and now have 21K on vehicle. No problems with anything so far. Last week I set the cruise at 100Km for 30 Km and then at 82 Km for 18 Km and when I stopped the average liters/100 Km were 5.0 This works out to 56.5 MPG (Imperial) or pretty close to the 58 MPG rating on the sticker. I wish there were more storage places in the front/dash for cell phones/change etc. Most people that ride in the car are impressed with the interior fit and finish. I think it would be too small for a family but for 2 people it's just fine. One pet peeve is that my acoustic guitar won't fit in the back unless the seatbacks are down.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus in VA is:

$139 per month*