2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Car has been a real disappointment
By kjs1961 on 12/22/12 11:23 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a very well equipped SEL back in May 2012. The transmission is rough, the mileage is a disappointment and the Sync Info-tainment system flakes out at least 3-5 time a week. I have had it to two different Ford dealers with only a slight improvement with the transmission, and took a small hit in mileage to improve the shifting. It has been almost 20 years since I bought a Ford, and it will be another 20 before I buy another one.

after 15,000 I can review it
By va_car_teacher on 12/16/12 17:38 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 7 months it has 15000 miles and I never reset one of the MPG calculators and I have averaged 37.3 MPG over the 15000 miles and many fill up calculations agree. I have not experianced any of the issues some people have. My sync system has worked well not perfect some times it does not understand me but a cancell and try again works every time. I do have the automated manual trans and it took a little time to get used to. But on average I have no problems, just a harsh 1-2 shift once a month or so and every so often a minor shutter on take off or 1-2 shift. Got a rental the other day a Nissan and i do miss my car a lot. mine was built in april so maybee issues fixed.

Extremely Poor Value!
By fordjunk1 on 12/08/12 21:08 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This is our second 2012 Focus. The dealer had to buy back the first because of: trans problems, front end problems and misaligned body panels. Now the second 2012 Focus has many of the same problems plus some new ones: the car goes into neutral at highway speeds, the mysink system & bluetooth malfunction and the gas mileage has dropped off. Additionally the engine idle is rough and noisy. The 2012 Ford Focus is also a poor value. The best trade in we could get on an immaculate looking car with less than 12,000 miles is $14,000! These cars do not hold any value whatsoever! My suggestion . . .don't but this car! Look at the new Dodge Dart, superior quality and workmanship!

Run from the Focus Nightmare
By lataya on 12/07/12 07:07 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased my 2012 Ford Focus from Mike reinchenbach Ford in Florence SC, 6 ago, with 6 miles. The vehicle has given me so many problems in the past couple months and Ford dealerships and For corporate office also give customers the run around and feel no sympathy. I took my vehicle back to Mike Rein. and indicated that there were a problem, they refused to listen and just said it is normal. The "normal" problem, now is a very big problem. Got my wheel bearing replaced. Problem was found by Raceway Ford of Hartsville SC. It was repaired. However, they also indicated that there were nothing wrong with the transmission. Now Car is in the shop (leaking clutch and transmission). Nighmare.

Chug Chug Jerk Choke
By susmak on 12/05/12 16:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

$27K vehicle, my 1st Ford and my retirement car. At 6,500 miles: 1. Major issue - "known" transmission issue. Upon acceleration the vehicle feelsl like it is not getting gas, chugs, and it feels like it will die. Dealer reprogrammed PCM /TCM with no improvement in performance. Was told not to bring the vehicle back because there is nothing more that can be done. Totally unacceptable. 2. Gas mileage is less than 30 MPG on the highway. 3. New rattles everyday. 4. On some music the speakers get crackly and sound like you blew one out. 5. Cheap interior carpet - major wear on the driver's side. 6. Rear seat belts have weird position and functionality.

Second choice was best choice
By colo4o on 12/05/12 06:59 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the 2012 Focus SEL. I have just put my 4th tank of gas in the car and am averaging in city driving 33.5 mpg. I am 6'3" 200 and have lots of room in the car but would not want to be sitting behind me. My first choice was to be a Chevy but when i went to pick it up it was not ready so to kill time i looked at others that led me to the focus and i could not be happier. The car was purchased from GO Courtesy Ford and i worked with Tony Upton and highly recomend contacting him on your purchase.

New focus automatic transmission and warranty
By 10snyder on 12/03/12 05:55 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Have a 2012 Focus with 16,000 miles, the car shutters and jerks extremely bad when shifthing from 1st to 2nd gear. Local Ford mechanic agrees with me that a new car should not shift this violently but Ford will do nothing to correct the problem. Apparently Ford simply needs to say that other cars of this type do the same thing so this is a normal characteristic of the car. Everything else about the car is great but the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

Terrific Car
By topcat20 on 11/22/12 00:32 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus BEV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After being an early fan of the Leaf, this was clearly a better decision. Better acceleration, better 40-60, and a "gas" to drive. Continue to drive past gas stations and smile. The cost of switching from the old truck to the car, makes the car payments for me. The car is super quiet, fast, and a dream to drive. Take one out for a test drive, you will be so glad that you did. No more tuneups, oil, gas, time, and energy wasters. It is a great car, the only other consideration was the Tesla S. Honestly, quite driving your grandfathers cars, and evolve to an electric. After driving one for 6 months, you look at the gas cars as all antiquated and pat thier time. There is no reason...

Fuel efficient, attractive, great driving car
By sobhall on 11/10/12 01:34 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2012 Ford Focus S w/automatic for 6 months and just under 9000 miles. Great driving car. Relatively quiet and smooth riding for a compact. Terrific handling. Interior is well laid out. Nice seats that are fairly comfortable. Inside and out, the car is a looker. So far, averaging 42.8 mpg. Can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get on the freeway. So far, quite satisfied. Very nice car.

2012 focus 5 door hatchback
By freelanceshots on 10/29/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I am really liking my car. I find excuses to drive it now even though gas is still expensive. Very quiet inside, drives nice, good looking and gets pretty high gas mileage. With a little over 1,000 miles on the motor I'm pulling 32 to 35 in town and 41 to 47 highway trips. These numbers are better then the publicized stats for the 45K to 60K hybrids. Leg room in the back for adults is missing but for me I can over look this detail for now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus in VA is:

$140 per month*