2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
No transmission issues for me.
By bigbaby on 07/31/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

After 3 months and 2000 miles driving mine, I think they fixed the transmission issues on the Auto,Manual with some kind of recall/patch. Mine is smooth, quiet, only issue is very slight delays backing out and starting from stop, but not so bad to be annoying. Have yet to have a problem with the car. Started off getting about 34 MPG but now closer to 30. Think it's my mix of driving, summer gas, and non-stop a/c on now.

This car was built for me!
By dumpbuster on 07/13/12 15:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I spent 40 years in the auto business beginning as a salesman, used car manager, import factory rep to factory exec and then ended up a CPDJ dealer. I've driven them all and when it was time to retire and buy what I really wanted, I bought the Focus SE with the 203A, sport package and auto/manual. I look for reasons to drive it so what I save in gas (32 around town/38 on the highway) I burn up having fun. Yeah, the MySync or whatever it's called is tedious for an old non-geek but I'm used to it. The performance is kickin' and the handling awesome. You can keep your Japanese 'cachet' cars. I'll drive the wheels off this jewel and love every minute of it!

Unhappy 2012 Focus owner
By on 07/05/12 13:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Major issues with transmission!!!...Recall work done (a computer reset???) last week of June. Driving down Hollywood Fwy. at midnight, 4 days later and car just stalls while driving!( full tank of gas) Pull to side of fwy without getting killed by rushing traffic,key is still in on position so turn a notch and car starts... drive onto side street where the car abruptly stalls again. Managed to get car home to Huntington Beach and then fight with HB Ford dealership over such a poor quality car. No resolve from them so stuck here with an unpredictable brand new car....

Skip the Automatic and buy the Manual!
By kevinmillerphx on 06/28/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the SE with the Manual Transmission and the Sport package - and I'm sure glad I did! I have SYNC with none of the MyTouch issues. I have a great transmission with none of the Automatic issues. This car is fantastic! I traded in a 2002 Subaru WRX, so I like power and handling. The 2012 Ford Focus hasn't let me down - it seems much more nimble than my WRX was. The power isn't as great, but I'm sure a few mods will help that department. I considered a Titanium, but decided it wasn't worth it for all the extra hassle. I can install a better sound system than the Sony and really didn't want any of the other challenges. I'm glad I went with the SE!

2012 Focus SEL
By adamb1 on 06/21/12 08:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have almost 3,000 miles on my '12 Focus SEL purchased 03/31/12. Two areas that concerned me at time of purchase have been addressed by FoMoCo. I have upgraded MyFordTouch and the system is faster, has not crashed, and integrates well with my IPhone 4s. I've also had the transmission recalibrated under the recent service program. The drive is now smoother, lugs less at low speeds, does not lurch at low speeds, and downshifts quicker. I have no complaints about the recalibrated transmission only that this is how it should have been from the beginning. I am not getting the advertised MPG's but mileage has been improving with break in. Overall, it's a great small car.

Why this transmission, Ford?
By on 06/12/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

There's a lot to like about this car: cool styling, good fuel economy, comfortable, and handles well. My only gripe, and it's a biggy, is the "automated transmission." It is very disconcerting driving this car. If test-driving this car, make it a point to do a left or right turn from a dead stop. The car searches for a gear and lurches when it finds one. Not pleasant.

poor mileage, worse customer service from FMC
By on 06/08/12 08:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

FMC advertisements and website make untrue, deceptive and misleading statements as to mileage for the Ford Focus. FMC customer service is indifferent or dismissive and unresponsive to dealer statements that there is a 6,000 mile break-in period - FMC says what I've been told is appropriate and they concur. I drove an almost 2,000 mile road trip, on cruise control through Ill., IN, OH, PA and NJ to document my recorded 31-33 mpg. The dealer says I get 37.5. The math is simple. The FMC representations are absurd and astonishingly arrogant and offensive considering $20,000 is spent on their product. The transmission had to be recalibrated twice to get it right.

Best car I've ever owned
By rs1981 on 06/03/12 23:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We traded in our Camry for a new Focus, because a big sedan isn't practical for living in a city, and we haven't regretted the decision one bit. We drive a lot, so the fuel savings are adding up quickly. On top of that, it's actually fun to drive. The turning radius is tighter, it's easier to parallel-park, the acceleration is much quicker, and you actually feel the road. Plus it's adorable. Legroom would be an issue if we weren't both short, so tall folks might want to keep that in mind. Also, the automatic transmission is different from what you're probably used to; this is a good thing. Welcome change. It's gonna get you better fuel economy.

Performance, quality, style & value in high MPG car!
By jpaul4 on 05/19/12 21:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I reviewed and tested many cars in this class including Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, and VW Golf and the Ford Focus SEL hatchback easily stood out it this class. I continue to be amazed by the handling and quality as I approach 2000 miles. I am averaging right at 28 MPG for mostly in town driving (about 95% in town, 5% highway). I chose the SEL since it provided best value with improved handling, safety and convience features at just over $20k. This car is fun to drive with great balance between handling and smooth ride that easily exceeded anything else I drove in its class. Many buttons are overwhelming at first, but quickly become simple and intuitive with use.

Good car BUT!!!!
By paulierm on 05/14/12 12:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

OK. I thought being in IT I could handle all of the problems with the mytouch. It is VERY buggy even after the patch. The car handles well and gets good gas mileage. My paint is chipping up and the dealer was nasty when I went in after 5,000 miles to complain. I called Ford and they said they don't warranty the paint from chipping and that I should expect that from their cars. NOT Happy about all the chips. Paid $550 to get chips filled in and bought an invisible bra. Otherwise car is very good for the first 3 months.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*