Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Lemon
By richard4872

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start by saying, I have the SE Sport with the Tuxedo Package. Black on Black. Gorgeous car. The first 25,000 miles in the car were awesome. It handled like a dream. My edition came with the wrap around Recaro seats. I even averaged 33 mpg at 80 mph. Here's the bad. At 25,000 miles, Ford rebuilt my first transmission and differential. At 32,000 they rebuilt my transmission again. Now it is at 40,000 miles and needs another. Here's the catch. The automatics aren't true traditional automatics. They are manuals, but, the computer has a solenoid that pushes the clutch for you. Yes, I said clutch. Even worse, the clutch plates are cast and not forged. Thank god for the Lemon Law

The seats are so comfortable and the mileage is phenomenal. Car Seat anchors in all 3 positions in the back. Mine had little to no road noise, but, mine also came with performance tires.

Back seat is cramped. If my sons car seat is in the car, no one else can sit in the back. The microphone to the Sync for your cellphone is on the ceiling and it faces the floor. Everyone complains that I sound like I am in a tunnel and that it is very noisy.

Don't buy this car!
By thecarguy112

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a 2012 Focus with leather, and no my ford touch. The car was used with 34,000 miles 11 months ago (rental) and it now has 52,000. This is a completely honest review of this car. Comfort wise it is pretty awful. It seems no one talks about how rock hard the front seats are, and how it becomes unbearably uncomfortable after 2 hours in the seats, and I am definitely NOT fat. The road noise is insane, but this car has original tires on it. The transmission (automatic) is horrible. It constantly jerks and shudders into gears and when it shifts, it brings the RPM's so low that all the torque is gone. You have to keep the car above 3000RPM to actually move. I think thats enough ranting.

Styling is fantastic. Handling is excellent. Great MPG.

Comfort, Reliability, Transmission, Ride quality and road noise.

Ford Focus 2012 Titanium : Nightmare
By gillesm

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The ford Focus 2012 Titanium Last september 2011, i have bought a Ford Focus 2012 Titanium. That day was the day when i did my worst error ever . Just one week later – not one year, but one week – i was driving in Montreal city when strange noises were coming out from transmission. At low speed and especially during a stop and go situation, some strong vibrations and stalling occured regularly. Since september 2011, i visited Ford dealer more often than the last 10 years driving Honda and Toyota. Despite - so far - four computer update trying to resolve that transmission nigthmare, the situation got worse.

Good Commuter
By ficklest

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Love the car! Purchased in late December - 12,000 miles on it already! My commute is 102 miles per day. Looks great, very comfortable ride. Combined mileage is 32.5 - some bumper to bumper and some highway speed. Exactly as expected. I am experiencing the same low gear shudder/shaking that everyone is talking about, and I'm going to take it to the dealership to have them check it out - just to get it on record. It does not, however, seem to affect the way the car drives, other than being a little finicky when downshifting.

Sync, looks, comfort and gas mileage.

Transmission improvements.

Economy with Style
By rockdog77

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We took delivery of our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5dr Hatchback in Blaze Yellow in Jan 2012. It now has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it and is our main family car. We have had it in for 2 updates, and I have processed 2 sync updates at home which were lengthy but fairly easy. The daily commute is over 40 miles and we have averaged 32-33 mpg since new. On long highway trips we can usually get 41 mpg. Overall we love the car and feel we made the right decision.

I like the interior as a driver, but as a passenger, my left knee rubs on the hard plastic of the center console but it doesn't affect my wife. The kiddos in back have no complaints. The seats are comfortable and the leather seems to be holding up well. I also like the performance for it's class. It doesn't like jack rabbit starts, but I've learned to slowly roll into the throttle if I'm feeling sporty.

We opted for the performance package which included 18" wheels and lower profile summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport3). I intend to replace them with a quieter tire and maybe even look into going to 17" wheels for more forgiveness in the tire sidewall. The road noise above 50 mph can be excessive on certain types of pavements, (might be solvable with different tires) but with these tires it handles great. The shifter buttons on the shift handle are all but pointless.