2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2012 Focus SEL
By adamb1 on 06/21/12 08:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have almost 3,000 miles on my '12 Focus SEL purchased 03/31/12. Two areas that concerned me at time of purchase have been addressed by FoMoCo. I have upgraded MyFordTouch and the system is faster, has not crashed, and integrates well with my IPhone 4s. I've also had the transmission recalibrated under the recent service program. The drive is now smoother, lugs less at low speeds, does not lurch at low speeds, and downshifts quicker. I have no complaints about the recalibrated transmission only that this is how it should have been from the beginning. I am not getting the advertised MPG's but mileage has been improving with break in. Overall, it's a great small car.

Why this transmission, Ford?
By on 06/12/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

There's a lot to like about this car: cool styling, good fuel economy, comfortable, and handles well. My only gripe, and it's a biggy, is the "automated transmission." It is very disconcerting driving this car. If test-driving this car, make it a point to do a left or right turn from a dead stop. The car searches for a gear and lurches when it finds one. Not pleasant.

poor mileage, worse customer service from FMC
By on 06/08/12 08:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

FMC advertisements and website make untrue, deceptive and misleading statements as to mileage for the Ford Focus. FMC customer service is indifferent or dismissive and unresponsive to dealer statements that there is a 6,000 mile break-in period - FMC says what I've been told is appropriate and they concur. I drove an almost 2,000 mile road trip, on cruise control through Ill., IN, OH, PA and NJ to document my recorded 31-33 mpg. The dealer says I get 37.5. The math is simple. The FMC representations are absurd and astonishingly arrogant and offensive considering $20,000 is spent on their product. The transmission had to be recalibrated twice to get it right.

Best car I've ever owned
By rs1981 on 06/03/12 23:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We traded in our Camry for a new Focus, because a big sedan isn't practical for living in a city, and we haven't regretted the decision one bit. We drive a lot, so the fuel savings are adding up quickly. On top of that, it's actually fun to drive. The turning radius is tighter, it's easier to parallel-park, the acceleration is much quicker, and you actually feel the road. Plus it's adorable. Legroom would be an issue if we weren't both short, so tall folks might want to keep that in mind. Also, the automatic transmission is different from what you're probably used to; this is a good thing. Welcome change. It's gonna get you better fuel economy.

Performance, quality, style & value in high MPG car!
By jpaul4 on 05/19/12 21:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I reviewed and tested many cars in this class including Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, and VW Golf and the Ford Focus SEL hatchback easily stood out it this class. I continue to be amazed by the handling and quality as I approach 2000 miles. I am averaging right at 28 MPG for mostly in town driving (about 95% in town, 5% highway). I chose the SEL since it provided best value with improved handling, safety and convience features at just over $20k. This car is fun to drive with great balance between handling and smooth ride that easily exceeded anything else I drove in its class. Many buttons are overwhelming at first, but quickly become simple and intuitive with use.

Good car BUT!!!!
By paulierm on 05/14/12 12:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

OK. I thought being in IT I could handle all of the problems with the mytouch. It is VERY buggy even after the patch. The car handles well and gets good gas mileage. My paint is chipping up and the dealer was nasty when I went in after 5,000 miles to complain. I called Ford and they said they don't warranty the paint from chipping and that I should expect that from their cars. NOT Happy about all the chips. Paid $550 to get chips filled in and bought an invisible bra. Otherwise car is very good for the first 3 months.

AWESOME
By howard45 on 05/13/12 06:42 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We traded my wifes Escape, which she dearly loved, for the Focus Titanium. She wanted more fuel mileage and a more sporty vehicle and she definitely got it with the Focus. We took our first trip and got 37.4 MPG driving the speed limits on the Interstates. Ride and handling are superb. This is a winner. Our local Ford dealer was one reason we bought. We had recieved excellent service on the Escape since moving here.

Great Car
By gris1969 on 04/20/12 19:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a Fusion to the Focus to save money and I don't feel like I down sized. I'm a tall guy and I always get crap about driving small cars but I put my money into my son and not into the tank or payments. I got the 5-speed manual with regular sync system and I just love it. Not much room behind me but I don't have to ride back there so I don't worry about it. I have lots of room up front.

Golfmill Ford Tom Posiewko Thanks
By darryl63 on 04/15/12 14:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went in for an oil change on our 2011 fiesta and left with the 2012 focus hatchback.Loved the service from Tom. He was very attentive to our needs and friendly. Our total experience was simply awesome. We continue to love this dealership in everyway.We look forward to a long and happy relationship with them and ford.Our car is everything we hoped it would be and more.We are not strangers with Ford products we drove the Fiesta a year and was well pleased with it's performance.For service and delivering an excellent car to us we give these guys five stars. Thanks Tom and to your team!!!!

Really safe and good but needs a few improvements.
By beeryan78 on 03/31/12 21:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased my Focus back in May of 2011. Recently in Nov of 2011, the vehicle was t-boned at an angle by a Toyota Highlander. To my surprise, the Focus performed great! Only a little airbag burn on my arm and that is it. Very impressed. Unfortunately the dealer had the vehicle for 70 days and there were just too many post repair issues, so I traded it in. Now let me not let you think its perfect, because it had some issues. My dashboard was replaced due to a crack(early model issue), the vehicle developed some rattles(none of my Fords 97-04 rattled), the tranny had shifts issues, MyFordTouch had its issues and the engine flipped out once and revved high(fluke?). Enjoyed the car, miss it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*