2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
After almost 30000 miles
By con2er on 09/18/12 04:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm 81 years of age and my wife is 76 years of youth, and we have been married for 53+ years. Our 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, which we bought in August of 2011 is almost what we hoped for, except for tire wear and poor radio reception. 40+ mpg on trips of 400+ miles, and overall mpg for 29827 miles is an amazing 37.9 mpg. After owning Mustangs, Torinos and a Pantera, which is still in the family, speed has gotten out of my system. Excellent handling is still required and present in this car, so I now drive for max mpg. A new radio module will be replaced in 2013, which leaves me with one problem, that being cupping of all 4 tires, now being remedied, with a tighter realignment & new tire

DO NOT BUY...
By spill100 on 09/17/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Multiple issues: 1.Presets on MyTouch screen disappear, the Sat Radio stations are still prgrammed just do not show up on screen, i see empty boxes, this has happened five seperate times. 2.While backing out of a parking space the Focus shuddered heavily and then stoped moving (as in vehicle would not continue to move), the vehicle had to be turned off and back on to correct issue, this happened twice. 3. From a standstill like a stoplight or stop sign, the vehicle lightly shudders when accelerating, this happens constantly. 4.Numerous lights inside the vehicle have malfunctioned but have been switched out as per warranty. 5. Vehicle also "stalled" out in traffic nearly causing an accident!

Re-flash
By capte on 09/05/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Your Ford dealers can "re-flash" or update your computer program that controls shift points, pressure settings, etc. to correct the issues you might be having. I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning so I will let you know how it works after I drive it a few days with the updated tranny program.

Lovin My Focus
By liguy631 on 08/27/12 15:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have my 2012 Focus SLE Hatchback for about a month and a half now. I absolutely LOVE this car. Having an SUV for the past 11 years, I wanted a change. Originally went down to Ford to look at the Fiesta, then, I saw this Focus. I needed something that got good gas mileage as I was recently transferred with my job, and am now driving 60 miles a day, versus 10! I loved this car from the minute I saw it. I have the Tuxedo Black (Great color) with Black Leather interior. My only regret is getting the Black interior, should have went with the Stone Color Leather , as the Black is very HOT in the summer in this car until the A/C cools it down. I am averaging 31 MPG right now in mixed driving.

Worst car ever built
By blou2 on 08/26/12 08:29 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought this car in nov of 2011 and have nothing but problems since....sync and mytouch only work part of the time...cannot lock car cause alarm always goes off...hood open alarm is always coming on...keep getting sd card fault on the nav screen even though card is in place...and the biggest problem is the transmission about once a month when pulling out into oncoming traffic it will just shudder and shake but wont go...this thing is going to get someone killed.....have had it to the dealer numerous times and they said they cannot duplicate the problems so they cannot fix them since they dont leave any codes...was going to try to lemon law it but instead just going to trade it in.... not ford

2012 Focus SE A surprise to me
By freelanceshots on 08/23/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't have a lot of miles on my car just yet but I'm digging my focus. Transmission seems more then fine. I've got the auto 6 speed and from what I've been told the transmission shifts and does what it does so that it can get better fuel consumption. I'm not trying to drag race anymore so it does just great. It's a lot quieter then my Ford Taurus I was driving and I can really appreciate that. Looks pretty good in my opinion. First real time out on the highway I was pulling 45 mpg where it only gets better with the more miles you put on it. Accessories I plan to get include the stick-on keypad entry, rubberized mats, rear trunk mat and some ceramic window tint.

2012 ford focus purchased 5-06-2011
By clarences on 08/16/12 13:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We purchased this car over a year ago. We have 16000 on it no troubles. Transmission shifts very smooth. just let it shift it's self. everyone is talking about tranmission, just let it shift on it's own. I have driven it in cross winds of 30 to 40 mph. wind on some long trips, steering is amazing. Handles better than my town car in a cross wind. Gas mileage has been 35 mpg on trips with a/c on at 70 to 74 mph. If I slow down to 60 I get 40 mpg. City driving is 30 to 32 My only complaint is it is hard to get in and out of and the ride is frimer than i like. The direct fuel is a winner. I tried to get 60 size tires on it, not available on SEL. FORD makes you buy what you do not want .

Great car with some tech issues
By hipoldlady on 08/01/12 18:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have owned my Focus HB Titanium for 10 months now, and have for the most part enjoyed it. The controls are difficult to read in direct sunlight, and there are LOTS of reflections from the shiny interior trimwork, but the most frustrating thing is that the Sync system does not seem to understand a word I say. Asking for directions is a big reason I wanted Sync, but I wish I had never gotten it. In the beginning, the car was slow to move from 1st to second, and nearly stalled several times in the middle of busy intersections! After an update, though, this problem seems to be corrected. The handling is great!

Miss my 08 Focus!!!
By justford14 on 08/01/12 15:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have 2012 SE Hatch with 6sp auto with sports package. I traded in my 5spd manual 2008 Focus sedan with 115k milage for this. I have to tell you the style, performance and steering of the new focus is so much better, but from there honestly its all less quality, less mpg and disapppointment. I was getting 36-42 MPG in my 08, I can't beat 34 doing same drive. I have several very loud interior rattles that are pending dealer part orders and the transmission never knows what gear to be in. Worst at times u hit the gas from a stop and you just sit there for seconds before transmission engages. Oh and bluetooth audio quality not as good as 08 focus.

No transmission issues for me.
By bigbaby on 07/31/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

After 3 months and 2000 miles driving mine, I think they fixed the transmission issues on the Auto,Manual with some kind of recall/patch. Mine is smooth, quiet, only issue is very slight delays backing out and starting from stop, but not so bad to be annoying. Have yet to have a problem with the car. Started off getting about 34 MPG but now closer to 30. Think it's my mix of driving, summer gas, and non-stop a/c on now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*