2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Chug Chug Jerk Choke
By susmak on 12/05/12 16:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

$27K vehicle, my 1st Ford and my retirement car. At 6,500 miles: 1. Major issue - "known" transmission issue. Upon acceleration the vehicle feelsl like it is not getting gas, chugs, and it feels like it will die. Dealer reprogrammed PCM /TCM with no improvement in performance. Was told not to bring the vehicle back because there is nothing more that can be done. Totally unacceptable. 2. Gas mileage is less than 30 MPG on the highway. 3. New rattles everyday. 4. On some music the speakers get crackly and sound like you blew one out. 5. Cheap interior carpet - major wear on the driver's side. 6. Rear seat belts have weird position and functionality.

Second choice was best choice
By colo4o on 12/05/12 06:59 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have the 2012 Focus SEL. I have just put my 4th tank of gas in the car and am averaging in city driving 33.5 mpg. I am 6'3" 200 and have lots of room in the car but would not want to be sitting behind me. My first choice was to be a Chevy but when i went to pick it up it was not ready so to kill time i looked at others that led me to the focus and i could not be happier. The car was purchased from GO Courtesy Ford and i worked with Tony Upton and highly recomend contacting him on your purchase.

2012 focus 5 door hatchback
By freelanceshots on 10/29/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I am really liking my car. I find excuses to drive it now even though gas is still expensive. Very quiet inside, drives nice, good looking and gets pretty high gas mileage. With a little over 1,000 miles on the motor I'm pulling 32 to 35 in town and 41 to 47 highway trips. These numbers are better then the publicized stats for the 45K to 60K hybrids. Leg room in the back for adults is missing but for me I can over look this detail for now.

Not one regret about buying the Focus
By matt_sevier on 10/24/12 07:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my '12 Focus SE with sport package and 5 spd manual transmission for a couple months now. I have driven it about 4,000 miles so far and I'm still in love with this little hatchback. The other two cars I was seriously considering when shopping were the Mazda 3 with the SkyactivG and 6 spd manual, and the new '13 Dodge Dart II with the 1.4l multi-air and the 6 spd manual. Based on test drives I found the Dart II to have the best power, but it took quite a trip into the higher end of the tachometer to wring it out. The Mazda, by far, had the slickest transmission, which felt like I was in a Miata, but the interior felt dated and generic. The Focus is was the best all around.

Couldn't Wait to Get Rid of It
By justaguy6 on 10/20/12 20:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car was nothing but problems. Owned it for 5 months and had it in the shop with transmission issues 3 times and the screen console went blank on 2 occasions for 1 week intervals. Overall, I really wanted to buy American and thought that this would be the car that would keep me buying American. What a mistake! Have traded it in for a Hyundai - took the loss and couldnt be happier.

2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
By kej3 on 10/17/12 17:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased car in January 2012 and now have 21K on vehicle. No problems with anything so far. Last week I set the cruise at 100Km for 30 Km and then at 82 Km for 18 Km and when I stopped the average liters/100 Km were 5.0 This works out to 56.5 MPG (Imperial) or pretty close to the 58 MPG rating on the sticker. I wish there were more storage places in the front/dash for cell phones/change etc. Most people that ride in the car are impressed with the interior fit and finish. I think it would be too small for a family but for 2 people it's just fine. One pet peeve is that my acoustic guitar won't fit in the back unless the seatbacks are down.

No more Hondas
By no_more_hondas on 09/30/12 07:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This 40-year Honda owner had to rent a car and got an '12 Focus 4-dr. Wow! I went to the dealer and saw a h'back. I drove it with the man/auto 6-spd and was sold. Ordered mine (SE with Sport pkg. and 203A) and have 7K on it in 3 months. NEVER before have I felt like a car was custom built for me. Seat is like a glove, it's fast with smooth acceleration (the initial minor tranny stumble goes away by 1K) and solid as a rock (sorry Chevy). 31 mpg city and 41 hwy for an average since new of 35.4 mpg! It'll blow the doors off most V-6's and the Sync system, while confusing, offers great sound quality. My wife is ditching her '12 Civic for a red '13 H'back to 'one-up' my black '12.

After almost 30000 miles
By con2er on 09/18/12 04:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm 81 years of age and my wife is 76 years of youth, and we have been married for 53+ years. Our 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, which we bought in August of 2011 is almost what we hoped for, except for tire wear and poor radio reception. 40+ mpg on trips of 400+ miles, and overall mpg for 29827 miles is an amazing 37.9 mpg. After owning Mustangs, Torinos and a Pantera, which is still in the family, speed has gotten out of my system. Excellent handling is still required and present in this car, so I now drive for max mpg. A new radio module will be replaced in 2013, which leaves me with one problem, that being cupping of all 4 tires, now being remedied, with a tighter realignment & new tire

DO NOT BUY...
By spill100 on 09/17/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Multiple issues: 1.Presets on MyTouch screen disappear, the Sat Radio stations are still prgrammed just do not show up on screen, i see empty boxes, this has happened five seperate times. 2.While backing out of a parking space the Focus shuddered heavily and then stoped moving (as in vehicle would not continue to move), the vehicle had to be turned off and back on to correct issue, this happened twice. 3. From a standstill like a stoplight or stop sign, the vehicle lightly shudders when accelerating, this happens constantly. 4.Numerous lights inside the vehicle have malfunctioned but have been switched out as per warranty. 5. Vehicle also "stalled" out in traffic nearly causing an accident!

Re-flash
By capte on 09/05/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Your Ford dealers can "re-flash" or update your computer program that controls shift points, pressure settings, etc. to correct the issues you might be having. I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning so I will let you know how it works after I drive it a few days with the updated tranny program.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*