2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews 3

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Ford Fan
By mike1957 on 03/23/14 13:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I am a Ford fan and will continue to be so, only a little wiser.We leased a 2012 Ford Focus SE with the automatic transmission.The engine is very peppy and accelerates well, as long as the transmission is in synch.The transmission sometimes faulters with the engine RPM going above 7000, not good for the engine.Dealership at first said the car would adjust to our driving, then had it checked/adjusted by their trans "pro",then have said there is nothing wrong.The gas mileage is 3-6 mpg under what I expected. The rear deck foam disintegrated.The trunk leaks during rain.There are rattles in the front suspension area.Car has just passed 40000 miles and we will be turning in car at end of lease

A report at 2.5 years and 70K miles
By chris_in_nh on 03/19/14 07:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am also a bit aggravated by the very negative comments here about Focus reliability and thought I'd chime in. I have driven my Focus S 5 speed manual for almost 3 years and more than 70K miles. After dealing early on with two glitchy things (a bad window motor and a bad engine sensor) that were fixed under warranty the car has been absolutely bulletproof. The 2012 was the first year of the new Focus and I put down the two early fixes as teething problems. Again, zero troubles since. The car is truly a joy to drive on twisty roads. If you buy one keep it simple. Get it with the 5-speed stick and without the Synch bells and whistles. You will find you have a poor-man's BMW.

Dual-Clutch Auto Trans is a bad idea
By sirhawkeye on 03/16/14 13:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Overall an OK for the money. BUT... Beware of the dual-clutch transmission though. the 2012's had a lot of problems with them (clutch notise, which Ford dismisses as normal, which is not true if you ask any true auto tech or engineer). That and carbon build-up on the engine due to direct injection (Google it and you'll find out pretty quick). It's a sporty car, design is nice, interior is nice (just wish the transmission lived up to the hype that Ford put into it). Even the Fiesta has the same transmission problems.

Stalling and Gear Issues
By jenn74really on 03/13/14 09:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased the 2012 Ford Focus in 11-2011. It was slow initially in responding to the gas. The reaction time is delayed and losing power. Over the past year, I am stalled approx. 50 times. Recently, the gears don't seem to be lined up properly. When the vehicle is in park, it has rolled. When the vehicle is in reverse, then drive, the car is still in reverse. I nearly hit a parked car backing out of a parking lot. Right after that happened the vehicle stalled and quit completely. Engine light was on for a short period. After several attempts to start the vehicle again, I was forced to have a tow truck retrieve the vehicle. Non-operable and unsafe. Ford does not see a problem.

Very reliable
By revmatt99 on 01/13/14 18:27 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought mine with about 18,000 miles and have about 30,000 miles now. I have had absolutely no problems so far.

pass on this car!!!!!!!!! going back to chevys.
By mingo5 on 01/09/14 00:17 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

at 11k had broken left strut.at 16k had ser.eng light gas tank sensor bad 6 days to order and repair.3 days later light on again took back kept car 11 days said was overfilling gas tank.when took in both times had 1/4 tank of gas!whata joke.now at 24,700 have broken left bearing and broken strut again 4days in shop AGAIN! but now on speed bumps clucking sound on driverside front not taking back to them will trade for a chevy cruz or malibu.not to mention tranny spuddering on takeoffs.they now tell me will not cover rental car anymore even becouse i have extended warranty!i've had it with with FORD.....

Last Ford Car
By texasmilitary on 01/05/14 16:58 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm terrified to drive this thing. Much like the other reviews, the shuddering was an issue from the start, but I was told that it was part of the new design. Two years into it, I can tolerate it. However, now the car just decelerates for no reason and the check engine light comes on. Keep in mind that this happens anywhere and anytime, even on a major highway going 70 miles an hour. The first time it scared me so bad. I took it in and they claimed it was an engine light issue, kept it for two days, fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than a week later the car has decelerated and come to a complete stop 3 times. I took it back to the dealership...I will update you on their response.

long term test review
By imperial_tie on 11/30/13 19:48 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

From day one (1JAN2012) this car has been an issue. I have spent more time having the transmission checked than I should. Mine is a Lemon. I've had issues from random loss of power to not starting. There is nothing like being stranded in a parking garage after black Friday shopping. I just bought new tires and am not happy. This may look like a fun hatchback but believe me its a MoneyPit. This is the last time I buy ford. 43,000 miles, all maintenance current, problem "unable to be duplicated", 10 times it has failed to start. Ford should really google this problem before stating "it has never been reported issue"

Mixed emotions
By isellthem1 on 11/15/13 16:20 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very impressed with the overall tightness of the platform and build quality is good. It is one of the best looking hatchbacks out there and I love the handling characteristics of this car but I am so pissed off at Ford for making such a fantastic vehicle and equipping it with an absolute joke of an automatic transmission. I love the concept of feeling the direct drive this torque converter-less transmission provides but the shifting dynamics are sub par. This unit should have never been introduced to the public in its current state. Opt for the 5 speed!

DO NOT PURCHASE
By lswheat on 10/30/13 15:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus sputtered on acceleration at times after purchase. The dealership said "it adjusts to the driver" and it "mimics a manual shift". It began to stall, the parking assist never worked and was replaced twice, the parking sensors would go off for no reason and the sputtering continued to worsen. I was later told there is a known problem with these vehicles. This was not disclosed when I purchased the car and it was intended for my 16 year old new driver. After exactly 12 months, the transmission went bad. Now I am in a new car with an outrageous payment because I was upside down. My choice was taken, if I had known there was an issue with this car, I would not have bought it.