Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Dual Clutch Trans shifting problems
By thomasln

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My trans kept dropping out of gear. No pattern - interstate, intersections, totally unpredictable. Would leave me stranded & the car would not go into gear. Ford dealer couldn't find the problem until I made video. They said I needed a $200 software patch that didn't work. I drove it 200 feet & it died in the dealers lot. After 8 days in the shop, they found a loose ground wire in the Transmission Control Module inside the transmission. I have driven about 450 miles with no recurrence of the problem. If you are having trans problems, let your dealer know to check the grounds on the TCM before you spend $. I regard it as a manufacturing & design flaw.

REALLY!!!!
By shebamidnightr

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my focus brand new and for the first two years it ran like a dream the gas was good the car is cute then one day my car just randomly starts cutting off while in motion I took it to ford and they didn't and wouldn't fix it I've been to the dealership at least 4 times in the last month just to end of being told that its the fuel pulposion system and that its 2000.00 to fix and by the way it isn't covered under warranty!

Good Luck if you buy it.
By salmark

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have a Ford Focus 2012 that I bought used. I just got out of the dealership. Why? Engine light turned on while I was driving and suddenly my entire car is lunging back and forth and gears are going nuts. Worse of all, I can't even put it in reverse. If you're going to get a Focus, good luck. I looked at reviews before and said, "meh, it won't happen to me." It did. Transmission might have to be replaced. Bluntly put, let's just say I'm not going to go Ford for a good time. Oh, and highway MPG is amazing. City... totally sucks. 18-23 and I don't drive rough at all. Might as well be driving a Jeep with that mileage. Thanks Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks amazing and on the interior of a Titanium version, it looks very chic as well; though the touchscreen needs to be somewhat forcibly pushed. Let's just say it's not an iPad. If your car came with a little resonator/little intake, it sounds perfect, not obnoxious but not weak. Decent acceleration. Nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your transmission Ford. This would have been "the car" for everyone to buy. But nope, you just had to mess up the basics. -clapclap-

One big LEMON!
By psugrad15

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

What a lemon and huge disappointment the car has been. I guess I am even more disappointed in Ford for not standing behind their vehicle. I have had nothing but issues with this car from the day I got it. It was all quickly pushed under the rug as normal break-in time. Well, the car is dangerous and should be recalled! The transmission revs are highway speeds and you lose all ability to accelerate. I have had it happen now four times and when I take it to the dealer, they cannot dublicate the issue. So it am sent on my way again. Well, not before I give them a laundry list of all the other items that need to be repaired. Including that crap Ford touch system. What a joke! RUN!

Suggested Improvements

Start from scratch. Not sure you can save this one.

So many bad reviews, someone should stick up for Focus
By cajunman90

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start off by saying I love my Focus! I have 55,000 miles on mine, with 80 mile a day commutes in Houston traffic, which is pretty bad, and I have not had trouble with my Focus. The transmission is an Auto-Manual, it is supposed to feel how it does, one cannot drive it like a traditional automatic transmission and expect it to perform the same. It simply is not the same thing. Considering my Focus is self shifting a manual transmission, it does pretty dang well. Plus I have had no problems with it either. Stop and go traffic is not bad at all. As for those with size problems, you purchased a compact car. Compact meaning Small! This is a wonderful car that I will gladly buy again.

Favorite Features

Titanium Handling package is great, 2 turn lock to lock and tight suspension makes for a great fun car that also commutes well. The sync gets hated on but updates have significantly improved it and it works great. The car looks great and I find it also has great visibility, much better than my wife's 3 series BMW. The interior is designed wonderfully, with just enough edge but also classy and symmetrical. Does not seem plasticy and cheap. I love the gas mileage it gets even with the full size spare in the back. Only maintenance has been new tires and soon will need new brakes, other than that, normal oil changes is all I've brought it in for.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a little more horsepower for the Focus. It has great pick up but a little more would be nice. Obviously sync can be improved but Ford has been working on it continuously along the way. Software can be updated people! Cooled seats could be an extra amenity, but with so many options to choose from, including self parking system, its hard to complain about a lack of options, when there are plenty.