2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
DO NOT PURCHASE
By lswheat on 10/30/13 15:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus sputtered on acceleration at times after purchase. The dealership said "it adjusts to the driver" and it "mimics a manual shift". It began to stall, the parking assist never worked and was replaced twice, the parking sensors would go off for no reason and the sputtering continued to worsen. I was later told there is a known problem with these vehicles. This was not disclosed when I purchased the car and it was intended for my 16 year old new driver. After exactly 12 months, the transmission went bad. Now I am in a new car with an outrageous payment because I was upside down. My choice was taken, if I had known there was an issue with this car, I would not have bought it.

Avoid this unreliable car
By wrenthamma on 10/19/13 12:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

In addition to transmission-related grinding, shuddering and halting described by every other reviewer, I have experienced the following problems: At 5,500 miles, the "body control module" failed, resulting in loss of instruments, headlamps, tail lights, turn signals, etc. while driving. The car was, of course, not road worthy, and required 3 days of repairs. At 9,000 miles, the "audio control module" failed, requiring two days of repairs. The vehicle's electrical system is still not quite right. Recently (26,000 mi) a bearing required replacing (2 days of repairs). Finally, the clutch needs replacing (2-3 days estimated repairs). Bottom line: This car is not reliable and should be avoided.

Ford Focus Titanium
By racerrich on 10/01/13 07:14 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 10 Focus and the engine noise was unreal so the salesperson lied through his teeth and said the new 12 fixed the problem. The engine noise is to the point on the I.S. you can not hear the radio without blasting it. The handling Pkg. 18" wheels has you riding as if you were on a Go-Cart! Jerky trans. dealer said thats normal! Gas mileage what a joke unless less you drive 55. Other than that great styling and fun to drive, but it's my last Ford & I've driven them since H.S. and i'm 72. Was going to get a Fuson but my buddy said it was JUNK and in the garage 13 times..[non-permissible content removed]

Deceiving Car!
By g_squared on 09/16/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Be warned! This car may look sleek and great but don't be fooled. This car has horrible build quality. I've had my '12 Focus Titanium Sedan for a year and a half and it has 16,650 miles. Since I bought the car I've had it in the shop so much it's a list: 1.Headliner disconnected (twice and is held on with Velcro) 2.Various interior rattles and squeaks (three times) 3.MyFord Touch and Bluetooth crashes (twice) 4.Transmission jerks and shutters (multiple) 5. Engine power loss (twice) 6. Electrical failure on the right side 7. Horn died 8. Driver door creaks unmercifully 9. Rear deck trim piece partially fell apart (behind the rear seats). Traded to an Edge. Don't buy the Focus!

2012 FOCUS HATCHBACK TITANIUM
By ron273 on 09/09/13 18:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Poor ride quality. Steering is heavy. Excessive Road Noise. Finicky electronics. Confusing controls. Difficult to enter/exit without hitting head. Chrome from dash vents reflects in windows and distracts vision in sideview mirrors. Transmission fine on highway. Too jerky for stop and go traffic.

It was fun to drive when it ran
By gris1969 on 09/04/13 08:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had my car in a while. Seven weeks ago it broke down and Ford can't seem to fix it and they are on there 3rd try. I have had loaner after loaner waiting. It was a nice car until hitting around 33k miles and then it turned into the joke of my workplace. Maybe I'll get a new one out of the lemon law. I have the manual transmission and the problem with the car is when you go to start it, it tries to start but shuts right off.

Our 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback Lemon
By rwig44 on 09/03/13 10:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My wife and I ordered this car loaded....even had mud flaps installed. The car drove well...but at the 10,000 mile service, Duval Ford, found the brake master cylinder was bad, even though my wife had had the car in the shop previously for brakes not working properly and all they did, was add brake fluid to the master cylinder THe Sync system always had problems, automatic windows would become unresponsive, radio would change stations after receiving a phone call. At 20,000 miles the main seals on the engine are leaking, when they tear into it, found both shaft seals on transmission leaking and damaged clutch pack. We No Longer own a Ford.

Buy the Manual Trans.
By cwfam on 08/29/13 13:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off I opted for the Manual transmission and am not dissapointed one bit with its performance. Most of the complaints on this car are about the about the auto transmissions and the MY Ford Touch system. Eliminate these options on your future Focus and you are in the clear in my opinion. 43,000 miles and have only had to replace the rear deck lid because they used some cheap foam in the cut outs near the rear window. Easy and free fix in the original warranty. 32MPG average in a good mix of city and highway driving. The S and SE have the manuals but why on EARTH they didnt include it in the other models is beyond me. A huge mistake Ford should correct.

First Ford bought, Last Ford bought
By gonzales393 on 08/14/13 02:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car looks good, and thats where I stop praising the 2012 focus, right of the lot I felt a shudder when taking off and car was sluggish didn't think much of it, started to notice hesitation when accelerating from a low speed after coast down, harsh or late 1-2 upshift, harsh shifting. 1st trip to shop was told it was bad gas, next 2 trips it was reprogrammed, problem still here and MPG went from 32 to 29mpg, finally was told that this was just the way the new transmission was, and there was nothing to be done, Also A/C randomly quits blowing cold air, I should of kept my SRT 4.

No problems and efficent
By mark1951 on 07/22/13 09:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have 31,000 miles on my 2012 Focus. I have owned 25 new cars in my life and this was one of only a few Ford products. The transmission is "clunky" but the dealer told me it was the way it was designed and not to worry when it feels different. It was exactly that; a little different but not a problem. I get about 38-42 MPG on the highway (more in the summer, less in the winter) and 34-36 MPG in the City. It has good power and is a nice ride but is a little hard to get in and out of for a big person like me. I am considering buying another one when it is time.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus in VA is:

$139 per month*