2012 Ford Focus SEL
By carbrokedad on
2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
I bought this car for my 18 year old daughter to take to college. It had 42,000 when purchased. She has driven it 6,000 miles so far and is very happy with the car. The car has the peculiar shifting issues due to the automatic/manual transmission, but does not have any oil leaks or other problems that have been mentioned in previous reviews. I just went to visit a college with her that was 700 mile trip and car got 34 mpg. I'm very happy with that as her previous vehicle best was 24 mpg. The passenger seat was rather uncomfortable for me but I'm an old man. The stereo/sound system (sync) seemed me to sound very good. The back shelf has dry rotted around vent holes as others said.
Favorite Features
I would have to say the strong acceleration (unless you over accelerate and car seems to stick in 1st gear) is a true positive. My wife even said "the car goes to fast" when she drove it home from dealership. Gas mileage is very good in my opinion for a small mid-size car. Other reviews have commented about the rattle that can be heard in suspension but we have not noticed any. The multiple USB connections are also favorites of my techno-generation daughter. In my opinion the value for the money that we paid for this car outweighs the quirks that I noted above.
Suggested Improvements
The rear deck lid appears to have been a bad design as the foam material that covers the vent holes seem to sun rot and disintegrate. The lever that reclines the seats is in a very difficult to use location.