Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

It was fun to drive when it ran
By gris1969

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had my car in a while.
Seven weeks ago it broke down and Ford can't seem to fix it and they are on there 3rd try.
I have had loaner after loaner waiting.
It was a nice car until hitting around 33k miles and then it turned into the joke of my workplace.
Maybe I'll get a new one out of the lemon law.

I have the manual transmission and the problem with the car is when you go to start it, it tries to start but shuts right off.

Sync worked very well when the car ran. I like heated seats new operation better than the pushbutton one every one else uses.

Make a reliable car...period. I have had many Ford cars in the past and this is the first one that has let me down. It will take a while before my wife will trust the car when we get it back.

Our 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback Lemon
By rwig44

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My wife and I ordered this car loaded....even had mud flaps installed.
The car drove well...but at the 10,000 mile service, Duval Ford, found the brake master cylinder was bad, even though my wife had had the car in the shop previously for brakes not working properly and all they did, was add brake fluid to the master cylinder
THe Sync system always had problems, automatic windows would become unresponsive, radio would change stations after receiving a phone call.
At 20,000 miles the main seals on the engine are leaking, when they tear into it, found both shaft seals on transmission leaking and damaged clutch pack.
We No Longer own a Ford.

Buy the Manual Trans.
By cwfam

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off I opted for the Manual transmission and am not dissapointed one bit with its performance.
Most of the complaints on this car are about the about the auto transmissions and the MY Ford Touch system.
Eliminate these options on your future Focus and you are in the clear in my opinion.
43,000 miles and have only had to replace the rear deck lid because they used some cheap foam in the cut outs near the rear window.
Easy and free fix in the original warranty.
32MPG average in a good mix of city and highway driving.
The S and SE have the manuals but why on EARTH they didnt include it in the other models is beyond me. A huge mistake Ford should correct.

Manual Trans. Supportive Seats Blind spot side mirrors (Love these!) Low Monthly payments

Manual trans option in all models My Ford Touch needs removed from all models and replaced with something different. Better rear deck lid materials. A quality manual transsmission drivers side floor matt. The stock one will get a hole in the clutch foot side quickly. Opt for the all weather matts.

First Ford bought, Last Ford bought
By gonzales393

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car looks good, and thats where I stop praising the 2012 focus, right of the lot I felt a shudder when taking off and car was sluggish didn't think much of it, started to notice hesitation when accelerating from a low speed after coast down, harsh or late 1-2 upshift, harsh shifting. 1st trip to shop was told it was bad gas, next 2 trips it was reprogrammed, problem still here and MPG went from 32 to 29mpg, finally was told that this was just the way the new transmission was, and there was nothing to be done, Also A/C randomly quits blowing cold air, I should of kept my SRT 4.

Looks

No problems and efficent
By mark1951

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have 31,000 miles on my 2012 Focus.
I have owned 25 new cars in my life and this was one of only a few Ford products.
The transmission is "clunky" but the dealer told me it was the way it was designed and not to worry when it feels different. It was exactly that; a little different but not a problem. I get about 38-42 MPG on the highway (more in the summer, less in the winter) and 34-36 MPG in the City.
It has good power and is a nice ride but is a little hard to get in and out of for a big person like me.
I am considering buying another one when it is time.

I really like the sync. It connects to my I-phone and allows me to not hold the phone. I doubt I am using all of the features it has but what I do use, I like. I have had GM's On-Star and this is much superior and no ongoing expenses.

None