2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Fun to Drive
By skimike4 on 07/20/11 18:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving the Focus long enough now where I can give an objective review. Overall, the car has a premium feel to it. I have the base model hatchback and it's still got a really upscale feel to it. This is not anything like the super cheap Focus Ford was making not so many years ago. Two big cons that I see: 1) The automatic transmission needs help. Personally, I don't shift my car into the next gear when it's below 2000 rpm, but my Focus thinks that's a good idea. You know that sound a car makes when you shift up too soon? My car makes that sound everytime I accelerate gently. I'm hoping Ford fixes this for 2013. 2) The inside door handles are super cheap feeling.

Luxury/Performance in a Small Package
By cpogordon on 07/15/11 07:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Finally a small car with excellent gas mileage that has both style and a quality interior. The 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been smooth and flawless and I especially like the Sport mode. The My Ford Touch (MFT) has also performed without error for me. The soft touch material, upscale materials in the Titanium, excellent supportive leather seating, along with driving performance have made the Ford Focus Titanium an successful alternative to pricier semi-luxury vehicles along with improved gas mileage. The hatch, while 7 inches shorter than the Sedan, provides the same interior room and much more versatility when it comes to storage space. I found everything I wanted option wise without having to give up gas mileage to get it and at a substantially lower price. I was initially worried that this car wouldnít have enough power, but Iíve found the performance of the 160 horsepower engine to me more than adequate when it comes to power. Iím very pleased with my purchase.

Love my new Focus hatchback!
By marymac2 on 07/13/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had my new Focus hatchback for 2 weeks and I love it. It is so much fun to drive and I love the voice and Sync features. The only negative is no surprise, it's not for long-legged people. A tall person might be fine in the front and there's plenty of head room, but definitely no in the back seat. I'm only 5'4 so it's great for me. I do a lot of city driving, so my mpg has been about 28 so far, but that's a lot better than my old car. Looking forward to taking a trip in it next week.

Transmission Silliness
By backindasaddle on 07/02/11 09:46 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Just got a 2012 Focus Hatchback SE. Company car, no choice in the matter. No options except for the 6 speed automatic tranny. I like the car and think build quality is very good. I've now got about 2 weeks driving and 1300 miles or so on it. There is one thing that I really don't like. The 6 speed auto transmission. It's not that it's bad. It actually shifts nice and firm and I like the idea of 6 gears. The problem is the shift point programing. It just shifts to higher gears so quickly and won't drop a gear to accelerate unless you mash the gas pedal. The programers set it up to maximize gas mileage but ridiculously at the expense of drivability. Absolute foolishness.

Early Report - 500 miles -So Far So Good
By novavroom on 06/17/11 20:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I was looking for a safe, fun and economical replacement for our BMW 328i. Bought an SEL Hatchback with leather, rain sensor, back-up warning, 17"wheels, cold weather package,automatic, Sterling Grey Metallic. The test drive impressed my wife and me - I am 6'3" tall and find the front power seat very comfortable. The car seems to be built to high quality standards. Paint and overall fit and finish are top notch. The car performs quite well - it is quiet, well balanced and just seems to be well built. The BMW is a great car but I do not feel I have given up much with this Focus. It may be a compact but it is a very nice car! If you find one you like - buy it - seems like a hot seller!

Red Focus
By zak404 on 06/15/11 08:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Just picked up my Race Red Focus three weeks ago.Love the colour,satellite radio and stereo. I bought the sedan over the hatch as it seemed to have less wind-noise and looked sportier to me. Car has been very good to this point,good pickup,great gas millage and still a head turner unlike Focus of previous years. This is my third Focus from wagon to mid-life crisis! Still has some wind-noise and rattles as is befitting the Ford tradition.

2012 Focus SEL Sedan
By ronnyt on 06/10/11 06:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We ordered our Focus so we could get it exactly like we wanted it. We have had the car for one week now and LOVE it. We moved down from an '08 Taurus Limited for the gas mileage. I was a little concerned about the size but although the Focus is quite a bit smaller it is very comfortable and I love the handling. We took the Focus on a 200 mile trip the second day we had it and averaged 37/mpg. Filled it up yesterday and even driving back and forth to work and in city traffic averaged almost 30. We have had a lot of positive comments about about the looks of the car, especially the Red Candy Clearcoat Metallic paint. I only buy Fords and they have definitely got it right with the new Focus.

Focus Hatch Titanium
By docdsc on 06/09/11 06:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased my Focus after driving many other compact cars. The Focus exceeded all my expectations. I don't think I would have ever considered the Focus, until I started reading the reviews about it. Ford really has done an amazing job building and designing this car. The car feels extremely solid, drives exceptionally well, is very comfortable, and economical. The engine is very smooth, and the auto clutch tranny shifts crisply, especially in the "s" mode. The manual shifting option is on the gear selector, I would prefer a steering wheel mounted paddle.

way to go Ford
By aenigmatic on 06/02/11 11:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have recently purchased my first domestic auto (other than my mom's buick I had in HS) in this new Focus and I am really impressed. There are so many features it is easier to ask what it doesn't have than what it does have. More importantly, these features work well, all the way down to the rain-sensing wipers (!). The steering is responsive, the engine sounds great, and the fuel efficiency is best of breed. I have owned VW, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Nissan, Saab, BMW and Buick. I can truthfully say that this is the nicest car I have ever had, and no one will ever accuse me of being a snob for driving it.

Not everything is roses with this new model.
By bwj3278 on 05/28/11 16:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

It was about 3 weeks ago I decided to trade in my gas guzzling F150 for a new Focus. With two jobs and one of them being real estate, I really needed something fuel efficient. Lets start with what I do like...most of the styling...the only part I don't like is the unpainted rocker panel plastic...it looks cheap. The car rides and drives well and the Candy Blue paint is awesome and gets lots of compliments. However, it is not all well... I am currently waiting for a new dash, because mine split. My driver side air vent plastic is chipped, a door is misalligned, and a rattle has already developed. This is my 12th Ford, and my last until Ford can get it together.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus in VA is:

$140 per month*