Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

It's Still Junk!!!
By fordjunk1

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This is a 22,000 mile up-date. The trans shutter, hesitation and noise are even worse. City driving in this car is awful, terrible and irritating. We've given up dealing with Ford and their dealerships. They can't fix the piece of junk they designed and built. We'll just pay it down and get rid of it! AND we will NEVER purchase another Ford product ever! This has been a terrible experience. Stay away from Ford and their dual-clutch junk!!!!!

NONE!

Go back to the drawing board, starting with that crappy transmission!

Economy with Style
By rockdog77

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We took delivery of our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5dr Hatchback in Blaze Yellow in Jan 2012. It now has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it and is our main family car. We have had it in for 2 updates, and I have processed 2 sync updates at home which were lengthy but fairly easy. The daily commute is over 40 miles and we have averaged 32-33 mpg since new. On long highway trips we can usually get 41 mpg. Overall we love the car and feel we made the right decision.

I like the interior as a driver, but as a passenger, my left knee rubs on the hard plastic of the center console but it doesn't affect my wife. The kiddos in back have no complaints. The seats are comfortable and the leather seems to be holding up well. I also like the performance for it's class. It doesn't like jack rabbit starts, but I've learned to slowly roll into the throttle if I'm feeling sporty.

We opted for the performance package which included 18" wheels and lower profile summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport3). I intend to replace them with a quieter tire and maybe even look into going to 17" wheels for more forgiveness in the tire sidewall. The road noise above 50 mph can be excessive on certain types of pavements, (might be solvable with different tires) but with these tires it handles great. The shifter buttons on the shift handle are all but pointless.

Don't buy it!
By sharon63

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my Focus in 2012 with 27k miles on it. I sold it 8 months later with 47k. The dealership even let me take it home for 3 days to make sure i really wanted it. Fair enough. But 1 wk after the purchase it started bucking especially when going up a hill and in the 1st and second gear.intermittantly. I traded a Mazda 3 manual and it felt like somebody was driving it that didn't know how to shift, and that wasn't me, because this is an automatic transmission. I took it in 3 times and was told that's how it drives. Then the engine light came on. took it back in and they replaced the clutch and it fixed the problem. also, the vaporizer was bad. Nothing but a headache.

Looks good exteriorly. great gas milage

Fix the automatic transmission or buy a manual

Nice commuter car, no major issues at 12k miles
By nunyer

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Not quite the perfect small car, but fun to drive. Sometimes it is hesitant to downshift in a passing situation or after coasting for a bit, which doesn't instill a ton of confidence. When the trans finds where it needs to be, there is more power available then you'd expect from this segment. My mileage during a pretty bad Detroit winter was 31mpg overall. The jerky stick shift like behavior in my car slowly subsided over the first 2k miles. Trunk space is impressive, rear leg room is not. Overall, I am satisfied for the money I spent, but not blown away. The combination of incentives, employee discount and being built in my home state tipped me away from the competition.

Fuel economy is impressive. The 10 speaker Sony branded stereo in the SEL model is solid. Straight line acceleration is very good for a small/economy car. Handling is nimble, steering feel and response is tight without feeling twitchy. Overall ride quality is superb for the size of car. Cabin is quiet, with little wind or engine noise, although the lower profile tires on the SEL can transmit a bit more road noise than I'd like.

Electronics can be a bit finicky, but about 80% of what I do is via the steering wheel controls, so I haven't had a major issue with taking my eyes off the road to play with the touch screen. The front console area could be narrowed a bit to allow for slightly wider front seats. I am average size male, 6ft 180lbs, and I liked the driver seat better in my 12 year old Civic that I traded in. I also would gladly sacrifice some trunk space for a tad more rear leg room for my kids. Generally, they don't ride in this car so it was not a deal breaker. As I said earlier, the trans probably needs more refinement and I have some long term reliability concerns with the dual clutch configuration.

Update - more comments
By bencheerios

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Update from previous review. Still like it after driving a 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv for the last 2 weeks as a rental. The Mazda 3 SkyActiv seems to get slightly better gas mileage, but it's not as easy to live with as the Focus.

Central locking, 1-touch engine start (don't have to hold the key in the start position to fire the engine), single wipe is down on the wiper stalk (as opposed to the 2012 Mazda 3 which is an awkward UP).

Desparately needs a flip key. The key always stabs me. The best flip key example is the mid-2000's Audi flip keys that were heavier than everything else on the key chain so that it was the first thing to fall into your hand when looking for car keys. The window switches also need 1-touch up for the driver's switch and 1-touch up/down for the passenger's switch. It would be great if there was a HID option.