Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't even think about this car
By treehewitt

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We have only had our 2012 focus about 6 months we have had it at the dealers 2 times. We only have 8000 miles the transmission is terrible feels like it is going to die on you and very bad at shifting. It is going back to the dealer today they need to fix this problem ASAP

Disappointing
By crash308

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ordered my Focus SEL in July '11 with My Ford Touch, moon roof, and premium stereo. MFT module failed within a few weeks. The dealer replaced the computer and its been mostly reliable since. (Ford increased the warranty to 5 years on the module because of ongoing problems). DON"T BUY MFT - its a waste of money. Its a pain to remember all of the voice commands and everything that SYNC is capable of doing can be done in 10 times faster by adjusting a knob. The transmission is TERRIBLE. Unusual hesitations, bad shift intervals, and unpredictable acceleration are common. The recall improved performance, but didn't solve the problems.

Its a very stylish car. I would have preferred to see the euro grill (2014 fiesta has it now). The car feels more solid than others in its class. Close the door on a focus, for example, and then compare to the same experience on a Toyota.

The transmission! I won't buy another car with this transmission. Trunk space is very limited - even with the rear seats down. My '87 civic had more cargo space. MFT/SYNC is a waste of money. The vehicle health report feature is useless. Oh, and one last little gripe - the rear wiper switch is in a strange spot and way too easy to accidentally turn on.

Pleased owner
By mementomori

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

33,000 miles on it & no problems. Fun to drive, comfortable & excellent fuel economy. The car has a very upscale feel. Those complaining about the transmission- you have to understand it to appreciate it. It's not an automatic transmission; it's an automated dual-clutch manual. It's GOING to act like a manual transmission (some rolling, hesitation, shudder- a result of the "dry-clutch" design). These are not "problems," they're characteristics. Did you not notice these things on the test drive? I'm loving the car; my worst tank has been 28 MPG, which included all city driving with lots of idling and sitting in traffic. Easily exceeds 40 MPG on the highway. Power/acceleration was surprising.

SYNC, all 4 automatic up & down windows, surprising pep, styling, trunk lid opens all the way with the press of a button

Though not necessarily "problematic," the DCT IS only half-baked; it should never have made it to production in its current form. Has a bit of a lack in storage space. Back seat is smaller than others in the class.

Big Bucks small car!
By mgq777

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased for gas economy and comfort. Does what expected with fuel. Cost too much. It's really small inside but when compared with other cars same size I feel comes out on top. I am 5'4" and I bump my head getting in the car. Good to drive and handle. Relief on gas. Negatives. We loaded it. Being a titanium we added several options. We live all except we're screwed on the remote start to start the car from inside the house to heat the car on a cold day or cool it on a hot day. Basically it works until you get in the car and put on the brake to back up and the car cuts off. We were charged about $400 for this. Middle console too long knocks tops off drinks , trunk small

Great gas mileage Reliable Love the parking sensors and self parking Backup camera Good for a teen

Make bigger, roomer, more trunk space Eliminate the park assist or fix waste of money Offer nicer leather for comfort Lower price it is ridiculous It's a tiny focus for goodness sake With options we paid almost $30,000

Lemon
By richard4872

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start by saying, I have the SE Sport with the Tuxedo Package. Black on Black. Gorgeous car. The first 25,000 miles in the car were awesome. It handled like a dream. My edition came with the wrap around Recaro seats. I even averaged 33 mpg at 80 mph. Here's the bad. At 25,000 miles, Ford rebuilt my first transmission and differential. At 32,000 they rebuilt my transmission again. Now it is at 40,000 miles and needs another. Here's the catch. The automatics aren't true traditional automatics. They are manuals, but, the computer has a solenoid that pushes the clutch for you. Yes, I said clutch. Even worse, the clutch plates are cast and not forged. Thank god for the Lemon Law

The seats are so comfortable and the mileage is phenomenal. Car Seat anchors in all 3 positions in the back. Mine had little to no road noise, but, mine also came with performance tires.

Back seat is cramped. If my sons car seat is in the car, no one else can sit in the back. The microphone to the Sync for your cellphone is on the ceiling and it faces the floor. Everyone complains that I sound like I am in a tunnel and that it is very noisy.