Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I just Don't know
By zhuber07

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus around thanksgiving in 2011. Bought it brand new and was happy with it while test driving. For the first 6 months, it ran fine. But after that 6month point, started having problems. If I stop at a light, I have stalled(this is an automatic), where I have to change to Park or neutral, then put it back into drive. Each gear shift creates very large shudder noises as if my transmission is about to die. My radio has not turned on before or just got stuck and not turn off. Handling is great, and when it does go, it can getup and go for the kind of car it is. I drive decently, but never hit the MPG mark they have advertise

Push to start button; keyless start. The look of it is pretty nice. Features it came with is decent, but seen better for the price I paid.

Better transmission. Advertise correct gas mileage. Maybe a more comfortable ride. It is the titanium edition and not the sport edition.

Short time fun car
By daisk

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Iv only owned the car for 3 days now, it was used with 36000 miles on it pretty high. was prevously a rental car. Anyway the drive seems its smooth and fast. the sync seems to work fine for me mostly just use it for audio at this point. so far im very satisfied with this car if that ever changes ill post a reply.

Bluetooth, the ac, body style and performance

nothing but regret
By jamussel

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

the worst car i've ever owned. 2012 ford focus with 30,000 mile and been in the shop more than all my other cars and trucks over the last 20 years combined. junk. gas milage is a joke. 26 mpg combined. 31 mpg all hwy. terrible transmission as everyone says. mine buzzes and rattles from the head liner and the dash. don't even think about this car. called ford for their buy back program and they just said no. no other help. they could care less. never buying another ford and i'm selling the stock i own. should have bought a Kia... or anything else.

Price/Quality
By nataliasturza

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my focus se for about half a year now and drove almost 6.000 miles. It was used with about 30.000 miles, however, can say for sure, I am totally in love with this car. The performance is above average, I have about 32 MPG, although, read the previous comments about 35-40, so will work on my driving skills improvement. The driving process is smooth and light, sometimes it seems that it drives by itself. Besides, I completely adore the design of the car, the big "eyes" and pretty "butt" always catch attention. I was debating between Nissan Versa, Mazda 3 and Ford Fiesta and now can say for sure, I made the right choice.
Natalia.

The best non-turbo hatchback available.
By redcomet

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a '12 Focus SE Sport hatchback with the manual MTX-75 5-speed transmission and 17-inch option wheels, 203A package in May of 2012, and so far am very satisfied with the car.
At the price point ($20k), it's an extremely competent little car.
The engine has a lot of get up and go (with the TCS off especially), excellent handling, a great gearbox, and a very refined ride.
The car regularly returns a combined fuel economy over 30mpg average, and I've gotten nearly 40mpg on the highway.
The stock ContiProCotact Continental 215/50/17 tires are alright, though they're holding up surprisingly well in a Northeast winter.
Overall, a very fun, affordable, chuckable car. Kudos to Ford

Can you call the engine a feature? I'm almost positive the car has more than 160bhp (dyno testing shows stock 2012 Focuses putting down 150whp, which means there's no way it's just 160 at the crank, given even 15% drivetrain loss, probably more). Power down low isn't that great, but above 2500 and all the way to redline, it's go-time, which is surprising out of a little family hatchback. The other great feature are the fold-flat 60/40 split rear seats. You can pull the headrests out, fold the bottom cushions towards the front, and fold the seat-backs completely flat. I moved across state lines and had so much room, I only needed a truck for large furniture! An amazingly practical car!

They need to work on SYNC w. MyFord. At best, it's serviceable. At worst, you're deeply engrossed in a shouting match with it. Bluetooth calling is clear, but getting it to recognize names sometimes is tough, and SYNC does not play well with Apple iDevices (multiple instances of issues indexing media, frozen screens, etc). SYNC isn't intuitive. Also, they could have made the pedals a bit stiffer and, for the sport package, aluminum instead of cheap rubber. They're also not spaced very well, and the driver's side footwell can feel cramped, especially after a lot of downshifting. But, it's the mark of a great car when the biggest complaint I can give is the infotainment system.