2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great car!
By montesdesigns on 05/10/14 17:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went from a 95 Honda civic to a ford focus. been looking at them for while. Just a little unsure about the idle sometimes seems a little rough, as long as its normal i am happy! lol

A report at 2.5 years and 70K miles
By chris_in_nh on 03/19/14 07:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am also a bit aggravated by the very negative comments here about Focus reliability and thought I'd chime in. I have driven my Focus S 5 speed manual for almost 3 years and more than 70K miles. After dealing early on with two glitchy things (a bad window motor and a bad engine sensor) that were fixed under warranty the car has been absolutely bulletproof. The 2012 was the first year of the new Focus and I put down the two early fixes as teething problems. Again, zero troubles since. The car is truly a joy to drive on twisty roads. If you buy one keep it simple. Get it with the 5-speed stick and without the Synch bells and whistles. You will find you have a poor-man's BMW.

Buy the Manual Trans.
By cwfam on 08/29/13 13:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off I opted for the Manual transmission and am not dissapointed one bit with its performance. Most of the complaints on this car are about the about the auto transmissions and the MY Ford Touch system. Eliminate these options on your future Focus and you are in the clear in my opinion. 43,000 miles and have only had to replace the rear deck lid because they used some cheap foam in the cut outs near the rear window. Easy and free fix in the original warranty. 32MPG average in a good mix of city and highway driving. The S and SE have the manuals but why on EARTH they didnt include it in the other models is beyond me. A huge mistake Ford should correct.

Why so many negative reviews?
By maniac4 on 12/23/12 07:35 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like mine a whole lot. Its fast enough, handles great, looks great. And I have not a problem with the automated manual

Fuel efficient, attractive, great driving car
By sobhall on 11/10/12 01:34 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2012 Ford Focus S w/automatic for 6 months and just under 9000 miles. Great driving car. Relatively quiet and smooth riding for a compact. Terrific handling. Interior is well laid out. Nice seats that are fairly comfortable. Inside and out, the car is a looker. So far, averaging 42.8 mpg. Can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get on the freeway. So far, quite satisfied. Very nice car.

Was Never A Focus Fan...Til Now :)
By jihavoh on 04/01/12 19:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a high mpg car to replace my Sonata because I drive so many miles annually, it makes a significant difference. I went to a Ford dealership to test drive a Fiesta which was underpowered and too cramped. The salesman suggested the Focus and I was sold in seconds. It was still a little more cramped than the Sonata (obviously), but it made up for it in in every other aspect.

Upset about bad keys
By bvivian on 02/17/12 23:12 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my new 2012 Focus "S" 2 days ago. I pick it up from the repair at the dealer tomarrow. The computer kept saying "No key detected" and wouldnt start after putting only 77 miles on it. The dealer called me today while i was at work and said they found a new key and it works. Still i'm pissed. IT BETTER WORK ! Ill pick up my NEW car tomarrow ; AGAIN!

Silly gearing
By my2012focus on 08/02/11 12:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In summary, the car is fine for what I wanted, which was a fuel-efficient back and forth to work car. I am extremely happy I bought the S package instead of paying for more ammenities. Had I paid over $20k for this I would have been very disappointed. This car has very low torque below 2000 rpm, which combined with gearing makes it difficult to start and slow to accelerate. Once you get to a certain RPM though, it takes off.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Sedan in VA is:

$140 per month*