Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. FFV 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Don't EVER buy a Ford vehicle
By noo2 on 04/07/15 15:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the worst ford I've owned. I'm not a new customer to Ford and I will NEVER buy another Ford again. The focus sounds like its about to break down constantly. I would rather drive a used beat up 1996 POS than this BRAND NEW focus. I've brought it in for multiple issues, not just the transmission, and I'm so tired of dealing with them and the same response. Ford may be saving money by not fixing any of their mistakes, but they sure as hell are losing a lot of customers and future clients for it. Word of mouth spreads faster and more efficiently than any deal they can create to help fix this.

Epic Fail, Ford
By herman15fusion on 12/07/14 14:04 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2012 Focus SE Sedan in February, 2012. Horrible Mistake! Initial satisfaction was quickly replaced with the realization that I had paid way too much for something so poorly built. The engine is extremely weak, and the transmission shaked and shuttered with only ~5,000 miles on the vehicle. I had the transmission serviced three times. Each time, I was told "that's just the way this transmission is..." and then provided a computer update (the 3rd one I paid $150). I received a letter from Ford Corporate in mid-2014 stating they had extended the warranty on the transmission. The only positive to this was that I was refunded my $150 for the last software update.

One Bad Tranny after Another :(
By kaelin71 on 07/08/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission replaced at 22,000 after Ford sent regional located engineer out to determine problem and provide resolution as reflashing did nothing to eleviate shuddering and crunching/grinding noises of transmission. Resolution was to put in new transmission. At 36,000 miles or 14,000 into the new tranny we're experiencing same problem, yet even worse this time around. I couldn't be more disappointed at this point.

2012 FOCUS SFE - Transmission died $4,300 fix
By eagleshot on 05/12/14 13:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2012 SFE that I purchased in Nov 2011 with 7 miles on it. Before I ever drove it, the salesperson told me about the shutter and explained why it was doing it and that it was normal. Within a month of getting it, I had to take it in to have the transmission "reprogrammed". That stopped the issues for a while but within another month I was back again. The service tech told me the same story and that I should keep driving it and it will eventually get better. I drive 120 per day all highway miles. At 84K miles I had to replace the transmission. $4,300USD.

pass on this car!!!!!!!!! going back to chevys.
By mingo5 on 01/09/14 00:17 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

at 11k had broken left strut.at 16k had ser.eng light gas tank sensor bad 6 days to order and repair.3 days later light on again took back kept car 11 days said was overfilling gas tank.when took in both times had 1/4 tank of gas!whata joke.now at 24,700 have broken left bearing and broken strut again 4days in shop AGAIN! but now on speed bumps clucking sound on driverside front not taking back to them will trade for a chevy cruz or malibu.not to mention tranny spuddering on takeoffs.they now tell me will not cover rental car anymore even becouse i have extended warranty!i've had it with with FORD.....

Disappointing
By larry209 on 06/04/13 12:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the beginning I notice a transmission flaw but had to wait for the recall to have it repaired free of cost. The painting is falling apart each day, no one will do or say anything about it. The trunk was getting wet when it rain, it took a couple of months but Ford fixed that free of cost as well. It has been a nightmare, I bought a Suzuki in 2002 and I never had bad experiences until I got to 36,000 miles, with this Ford however I'm up to 10,000 miles and have visited the dealer complaining like 8 times already.

Electronics
By rvandry on 01/22/13 13:28 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Way too much electronics. Where are the buttons to change the preset radio stations or the "seek" button to find a non-preset station while traveling? I have to take my eyes off the road and look at the display when changing stations, not very safe. Also, what happened to the map reading lights and the 60/40 split rear seat? I had them in my 2009 Focus but there aren't any in my 2012. Not very handy. But the worst is that this 2012 Focus with only 3200 Kms won't start in very cold temperatures. My dealer tells me it's an electronics problem that, despite 3 visit to the dealership on the back of a tow truck, has yet to be identified. Electronics are a good thing but too much isn't.

my 2012 FORD FOCUS "SFE EDITION"
By badfocus on 01/14/13 13:57 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2012 Ford Focus feburary 27,2012, at 5600 miles I get a RECALL letter on the "programing of the transmission" from then it was down hill for my little car. I took it back around 10,000 miles and i was adv nothing was wrong with the trans that this is the way it is to shift, the car was shifting like someone just learned how to drive a stick shift!!!!!, this went on for a month, i was so upset oneday i almost got hit by another car because of the way the car was shifting out, i put my big boy pants on and demanded they look at the car. well, what do you supose they found???? they found there was a problem!!!! it was the clutches, they replaced them, i drove the car 2 weeks and

after 15,000 I can review it
By va_car_teacher on 12/16/12 17:38 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 7 months it has 15000 miles and I never reset one of the MPG calculators and I have averaged 37.3 MPG over the 15000 miles and many fill up calculations agree. I have not experianced any of the issues some people have. My sync system has worked well not perfect some times it does not understand me but a cancell and try again works every time. I do have the automated manual trans and it took a little time to get used to. But on average I have no problems, just a harsh 1-2 shift once a month or so and every so often a minor shutter on take off or 1-2 shift. Got a rental the other day a Nissan and i do miss my car a lot. mine was built in april so maybee issues fixed.

Satisfied Driver
By ave345 on 08/02/12 21:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a college student and my Ford Focus now has 1000 miles. What can I say, I absolutely love my car. I am a car enthusiast and come from a family who has owned Fords since the 1980s. The transmission takes getting used to but once you know how it performs the ride is good. I got my Focus in silver and let me tell you it is a head-turner. Learn how the transmission shifts and you will see the power and economy work.