Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most un-reliable car on 4 wheels
By 2012 Ford Focus

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ford blew it with this car. Due to my wife's job we buy a car ever other year. This car has left us stranded 4 times with only 70k miles. There stupid dual clutch design transmission in this car has been nothing but problems. Car slips out of gear, sometimes wont even back up, makes chattering shifting noise while sitting in park. Took it to 2 Ford dealerships. AutoNation Ford technician in Katy said the best thing for me to do is run from this car and sell it. (This is after the third transmission reprogram). Finally took to Joe Meyers Ford they ripped me off and said faulty shift solenoid Charged $500 (after I told them I don't believe this is the problem because car runs fine for about a week after re-program), while still in shop then they said "Oh faulty transmission computer". Ford replaced computer under warranty. Now 1 month later car has a roaring noise coming from inside the transmission ( no its no the hub bearings). If Ford would have left the hydraulic style transmission in this car it would be a great car everything else is nice. New transmission is $3,101.02 screw that. THANKS FORD FOR MAKING JUNK!!!!!! YOU MUST BE SO PROUD. Go on Craigslist and look at how many 2012-2014 Ford Focus there are. Save yourself a headache and do not buy. I guess its true Foreign cars are better then Ford cars. RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN!

Transmission will kill you
By Tony

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The redesigned transmission for this model is completely flawed. Been stuck on the freeway and unable to even shift my car into neutral to move it two separate times. The Ford delearships have refused or been unable to permanently fix it. The resale value of the car is now garbage and i will have to eat the cost for trade-in. My car was bought certified pre-owned with 6k miles on it and had transmission problems from the beginning. Ford has lied to its consumers about this car and its going to get people killed. Dont buy and stop considering this car..

Dangerous transmission
By cheryl

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus in November 2015. I was very happy because my old car was a 2000 Ford Focus. It is very sporty and nice looking. I was driving on HWY 30 from the grocery store when it just stopped. Everyone behind me was honking and whizzing by me. I was scared to death. I didn't know what to do. I prayed to God and then I got the idea to shut it off and re start it. It was very slow and I got a notice that I had a transmission malfunction and to fix it NOW. I could have been killed. Ford please take care of this problem.

Two thumbs down for ford!
By David

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been sent in for transmission issues 4 times since first purchased new in 2012. Everything from grinding slipping and rolling backwards no repairs every worked just told that's how it works , now at 56k miles the transmission quit completely! Radio repairs multiple times now it just flashes " indexing " car should have been recalled. Nobody in their right mind would own or purchase this unit.

Sporty Looking & fun to drive
By Barbara Stoner

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is an economical, very practical but fun-to-drive vehicle. It is great to drive on curves, really grabs the road and steers easily. It has a lot of trunk space, and it has adequate leg room in the back seat.