Used 2012 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Bad Decision
By denise chiles

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had one problem after another. The door trim fell out, had to buy battery for remote key, Tires had to be replaced, all four in first year. Now my car won't start, no jump works, just won't start! Lights, radio, all electronics work, so far, just won't start-REALLY FORD! This car is a lemon! My sister has same make and model hers stop for no reason also. Ford after 3 times in shop finally told her it's a transmission modular. I hate to find out what mine is.

Stay Away!
By jpspa

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2012 Focus and experienced the same transmission issues others have described- jerky, hesitation, lunging- which Ford apparently still has not fixed. Finally the transmission 'died' completely and car wouldn't go at all. When 'fixed", I got rid if it right away- not worth the trouble. I'll never buy another Ford, who should be prosecuted for selling this piece of junk and not recalling them.

Don't bother
By km09

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had nothing but trouble since the first month I've purchased this vehicle. The clutch has been replaced 5 times.. yes, the clutch in an automatic transmission. The car shudders, and shakes and doesn't properly drive and hasn't since I purchased it brand new with only 7 miles on it. Please view other options before Ford gives you the run around too. Oh and the seats- the "mesh" option is terrible. Water will stain them and Ford will charge close to $100 to clean them, nothing can really clean them.

Get rid of it.

Poor choice!!!
By ericarras_81

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a used focus hatchback and at first thought it was a fun ride, that is until it began to give me problems after 2 months of driving it. First, the keys wouldn't lock my car, then the car would jerk when I would come to a stop or switch gears. Afterwards, I would put the key into the ignition but it wouldn't start and after $750 and a week later, the dealership fixed some wires "causing the problem". I only had it a week and its at the dealership again because the car died at an intersection and even though it was in drive and on it would not kick into gear. They are "ordering the part" to fix it but Im ready to trade in. Buying a ford was a huge mistake!! Never again!!

It was fun at first and a fast zippy car but that doesn't make up for all the issues its having.

Improve everything!!!

Don't EVER buy a Ford vehicle
By noo2

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the worst ford I've owned. I'm not a new customer to Ford and I will NEVER buy another Ford again. The focus sounds like its about to break down constantly. I would rather drive a used beat up 1996 POS than this BRAND NEW focus. I've brought it in for multiple issues, not just the transmission, and I'm so tired of dealing with them and the same response. Ford may be saving money by not fixing any of their mistakes, but they sure as hell are losing a lot of customers and future clients for it. Word of mouth spreads faster and more efficiently than any deal they can create to help fix this.

Everything.