Used 2012 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Transmission will kill you
By Tony

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The redesigned transmission for this model is completely flawed. Been stuck on the freeway and unable to even shift my car into neutral to move it two separate times. The Ford delearships have refused or been unable to permanently fix it. The resale value of the car is now garbage and i will have to eat the cost for trade-in. My car was bought certified pre-owned with 6k miles on it and had transmission problems from the beginning. Ford has lied to its consumers about this car and its going to get people killed. Dont buy and stop considering this car..

Dangerous transmission
By cheryl

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus in November 2015. I was very happy because my old car was a 2000 Ford Focus. It is very sporty and nice looking. I was driving on HWY 30 from the grocery store when it just stopped. Everyone behind me was honking and whizzing by me. I was scared to death. I didn't know what to do. I prayed to God and then I got the idea to shut it off and re start it. It was very slow and I got a notice that I had a transmission malfunction and to fix it NOW. I could have been killed. Ford please take care of this problem.

Two thumbs down for ford!
By David

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been sent in for transmission issues 4 times since first purchased new in 2012. Everything from grinding slipping and rolling backwards no repairs every worked just told that's how it works , now at 56k miles the transmission quit completely! Radio repairs multiple times now it just flashes " indexing " car should have been recalled. Nobody in their right mind would own or purchase this unit.

Sporty Looking & fun to drive
By Barbara Stoner

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is an economical, very practical but fun-to-drive vehicle. It is great to drive on curves, really grabs the road and steers easily. It has a lot of trunk space, and it has adequate leg room in the back seat.

2012 Ford Focus- don't buy.
By Christie Andryc

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My car has transmission problems. Every single time I start and stop the car shudders and hesitates. The car is unsafe to drive. Also the car's cruise control broke within 3 months of owning the car, it was fixed and then broke again a month later. And hasn't worked in 2 years. This car is junk. I have taken it to three different ford dealerships and they refused to fix the problem. They would tell me there was nothing wrong with the transmission it was the way I drive. Every time I took it in for the cruise control Ford would tell me that they were unable to fix the problem because the cruise was working that day, when it never worked for me. They refused to fix the problems and I finally ran out of a warranty and gave up. I don't have the money to pay to have this car fixed when I bought a brand new car I college to not have to worry about getting work done to a car. This has been the biggest disappointment and I just want them to be recalled. Ford owes it to all the customers that are currently stuck with this car and paying big money for a car that doesn't work. I don't not feel safe allowing my family in the car because it is too dangerous to drive. It stresses me out on a daily basis having to drive this car and never knowing when it's going to stop working. I have been having these problems since I bought the car in July of 2012.