Used 2012 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Techno Crazy
By gnelson1

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I had the chance to get a skeak preview of the all new 2012 and it is avery nice looking ride inside and out! The new styling is very well designed with unique curves and lines. What really impressed me is the all the techno cool stuff. The Ford first SYNC by Microsoft with the Ford My Touch. The New stiffer framing made from very expensive, ultra strong Boron steel. It will be available with features like remote start and Park Assist ( it will actually parallel park its self with little assistance from the driver). The kind of upgraded features you wouldn't expect to see in a vehicle in the C class. But its the power and handleing that sold me on the vehicle! It is Responsive!

More Dual Clutch Transmission Problems
By thomasln

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

An update to my previous post. The TCM ground fault is clearly not the problem as the car continues to slip out of gear. I took it back to the dealer, they kept it for 6 days, then called to say that it "needs a new transmission" that will cost over $5200. Others have posted that they have paid for a new transmission only to have the same problem. Do not buy one of these cars for any reason. I am now stuck with a car that moves only when it wants to, that I can't allow my kids to drive, that my wife refuses to drive, and that I cannot sell because my conscience won't allow it.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. There is clearly a defect that is well-known. When the trans resumes functioning, the message center states "Transmission Ready." Think about that for minute. Why did they program it to say that unless they knew that at some point it would NOT be ready? Shouldn't it always be ready? That is how other cars function. Why is there a "brake interlock bypass" in the shifter unless they knew that it would lock up and would otherwise refuse to come out of park? Why is that bypass switch hidden deep inside the console where typically only a mechanic would know to look?

Great on gas, but improvements needed
By Adam Holly

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent power, but Ford needs to put a 6 speed manual in it! 3000 RPM cruising at 115 km/h is absolutely absurd. The MTX-75 needs to be retired. Fun facts about the S: No low washer fluid indicator, and you cannot turn the traction control off on the S, short of pulling the fuses for it under the hood. Phenomenal on gas, however. Even with winter tires, it's not great in the snow, partially due to the low ground clearance. Tuxedo black metallic paint is gorgeous when clean! The build quality is good, save for the stupid mud flaps; I've lost both front ones because the clips don't hold, and the rear ones are barely hanging on. Only been in the shop once for a wheel bearing when new (warranty)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, quick, great on gas. Decent stereo. Air Conditioning works well.

Suggested Improvements

Traction control switch Low washer fluid light (hell, my 15 year old Grand Am had it) Adjust gear ratios or put a 6spd manual in

Don't buy
By mike1992

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We bought the car, it looked great. Soon the transmission started giving us problems, couldn't find a gear, shook like a motor mount had broken off, loud noises, etc... Had it to the dealer many times. They fixed it somewhat, not completely. It seems every 5-10k miles we bring it back. We're in a lawsuit now with ford. I'm trying to get them to take the car back. We have an appointment next week to bring the car in for the same repair. Don't buy this car.

Suggested Improvements

Use a different transmission

Poor choice!!!
By ericarras_81

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a used focus hatchback and at first thought it was a fun ride, that is until it began to give me problems after 2 months of driving it. First, the keys wouldn't lock my car, then the car would jerk when I would come to a stop or switch gears. Afterwards, I would put the key into the ignition but it wouldn't start and after $750 and a week later, the dealership fixed some wires "causing the problem". I only had it a week and its at the dealership again because the car died at an intersection and even though it was in drive and on it would not kick into gear. They are "ordering the part" to fix it but Im ready to trade in. Buying a ford was a huge mistake!! Never again!!

Favorite Features

It was fun at first and a fast zippy car but that doesn't make up for all the issues its having.

Suggested Improvements

Improve everything!!!