Used 2012 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Two thumbs down for ford!
By David

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been sent in for transmission issues 4 times since first purchased new in 2012. Everything from grinding slipping and rolling backwards no repairs every worked just told that's how it works , now at 56k miles the transmission quit completely! Radio repairs multiple times now it just flashes " indexing " car should have been recalled. Nobody in their right mind would own or purchase this unit.

Sporty Looking & fun to drive
By Barbara Stoner

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is an economical, very practical but fun-to-drive vehicle. It is great to drive on curves, really grabs the road and steers easily. It has a lot of trunk space, and it has adequate leg room in the back seat.

2012 Ford Focus- don't buy.
By Christie Andryc

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My car has transmission problems. Every single time I start and stop the car shudders and hesitates. The car is unsafe to drive. Also the car's cruise control broke within 3 months of owning the car, it was fixed and then broke again a month later. And hasn't worked in 2 years. This car is junk. I have taken it to three different ford dealerships and they refused to fix the problem. They would tell me there was nothing wrong with the transmission it was the way I drive. Every time I took it in for the cruise control Ford would tell me that they were unable to fix the problem because the cruise was working that day, when it never worked for me. They refused to fix the problems and I finally ran out of a warranty and gave up. I don't have the money to pay to have this car fixed when I bought a brand new car I college to not have to worry about getting work done to a car. This has been the biggest disappointment and I just want them to be recalled. Ford owes it to all the customers that are currently stuck with this car and paying big money for a car that doesn't work. I don't not feel safe allowing my family in the car because it is too dangerous to drive. It stresses me out on a daily basis having to drive this car and never knowing when it's going to stop working. I have been having these problems since I bought the car in July of 2012.

Buyer-Beware!!! Terrible Transmission
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We bought our 2012 Ford Focus SEL 4cyl. Automatic w/overdrive, leather heated seats, tech pkg and even tinted the Windows. This car was purchased main reason of saving on fuel expenses. What are we soon found out was that the transmission works on a dual dry clutch system that has proven to be a reoccurring nightmare month-to-month. I would urge buyers to do in-depth research before purchasing this vehicle as it is and will be a vehicle that needs to go to the shop regularly for transmission resets in computer module issues. In the 1 year we owned the car, I lost hours upon hours of my time waiting on a tow truck to come and pick it up and take it down to the dealer. Also had to open two major cases against Ford motor company. They did nothing about it, therefore I will never buy a Ford vehicle again! Sad to say because I'm a patriot and love the thought of buying American. Just traded it in and lost $3500 to negative equity. Shame on Ford!

Avoid the Focus, buy Toyota instead
By Dean

2012 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For starters, the transmission has some serious issues. It causes way more problems than buyers are aware of. The transmission is faulty, it messes with your entire electrical system, and Ford is the absolute worst when it comes to dealing with this issue. Just now, I can't even get the car to start sometimes. It will stall out on you in the highway and your radio will not work after 40000 miles. Trade it or get rid of it. Avoid any and all Ford cars. It will fail on you eventually.