Used 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable little thing!!!!!
By Shirley

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

people complain about the way the focus drives it does shake at times and feels weird that's the transmission doing its job it's not your basic automatic tranny its's a manual shifting gears for you so it will drive a little like a stick but thats how it saves on gas and has some speed to it!!!! I bought the car used at 30,000 miles and had it for two years now at 69,000 and let me tell you i travel often and this car was never in the shop for one thing i love this car!!!!

Fun car with some quirks
By Old Pony

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this car new after my 99 Mustang got blown up by a mechanic replacing its thermostat...arg. Didn't want to pay the price for a new Mustang and didn't like any of the used ones on the lot. I chose the Focus because basically I'm a Ford guy and I thought it might tone down my driving style stepping down to something more civil in my old age lol.
Pros: This is a great handling car and feels very similar to a '72 Datsun 240Z I owned when I was younger. I live along the coast of Northern California and have taken it through the paces so to speak. It is an automatic, but handles the twisties fine. No mechanical issues to report, but I should mention that I drive this car with the traction control off (when traction control on it is terrible in some situations, but be warned you will need to hold on the wheel if you accelerate hard from a stop if turned off).
Cons: I'm not real comfortable with the seat build..kinda like Ford designed it to fit all sizes and I wish it felt snugger. The brakes are great when I'm alone in the car, but found that they could be better with a passenger. My car is actually an SE auto with a few extras. Stereo is barely passable for my taste. Resale value is still pathetic, but I think this is more a mentality.
Overall I'm very happy with this car. Allows me to still have some fun and feel comfortable driving. I got a 2012 Honda Civic once as a loaner during some routine maintenance..not even close when it came to driving experience and ergonomics.

Dont Buy
By penny

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Please don't buy this car.....clutch problems fro day one!

Don't Buy It. Don't Be another Statistic
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't buy this car. It's not worth taking the chance with the transmission. I bought this car thinking that the transmission problems would get fixed. Bought the car at 28,000. In my first months of having the car, I went to the dealership for shuddering and gear grinding noises.. oh and how the car completely shut down; engine light on and wouldn't go faster than 20 mph. THAT was scary on the freeway. Supposedly it's a safety mechanism. Talked with at Susan with my car at 50,000 at corporate and there's nothing that she can do. My car doesn't count to be a lemon.

It would be a great car if it wasn't for the transmission. Everything else is there but the fundamentals are all shot. And to my surprise, they are still implementing the same faulty transmission even in their new 2016 cars.

HATED THE CAR!!
By Mark Clemson

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus in October 2014. I should have done the research, but I didn't. I test drove the car and noticed a little shutter and how it went backwards on the hill, but didn't think anything of it. I should have!!!

Within two weeks of having the car, my breaks started squeaking. I thought I needed to changed my brake pads. They said they were fine and couldn't duplicate the problem. Then two weeks later, it start stuttering to the point the car would shake every time I hit the gas to get the car moving. Took the car back and thankfully the warranty covered that. The brakes continued to squeak and I just had my mechanic change the brake pads anyway and the squeaking stopped.

The car worked fine for a while then all of a sudden the stuttering came back and also when I would drive in the city and hit a even a small bump it felt like the back of my car would fall apart. I took the car in and was told I needed new shocks in the back. $450 dollars later I had new shocks and a realignment and that noise was still there!!! The stuttering would happen EVERYTIME I hit the brake and then the gas.

Finally after dealing with this for over 6 months, the car violently shook on a hill while trying to accelerate. I couldn't take it anymore and traded it in the next day. I didn't get very much for the car and had to take money out of my Savings account to get my new Nissan Altima. Didn't want to, shouldn't have had to, but it was a great decision.

I had my 2012 Ford Focus for a year and dumped almost $1000 of my own money on repairs and only put on 13,000 miles on the car. This was a complete POS and the biggest waste of money ever!!

DON'T BUY THIS CAR, YOU WILL REGRET IT!