Used 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I'm Still Happy
By Jim

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

First off, let me say that this car has a dual-clutch PowerShift Transmission. It's not an automatic transmission where you have a torque convertor and you simply step on the gas and go. You have to learn to drive this car with your right foot. It's not rocket science, and keeping the car in the right RPM range for the task at hand is pretty simple. I can't help but think that a lot of the folks who have problems with the way it drives have 2 skills: Stomp on the gas or stomp on the brakes. After 42,000 miles the car drives just fine, and with a little right foot control can be a lot of fun to drive. I'm getting 30 MPG in mixed driving, and other than oil changes and keeping the tires inflated to the proper pressure ( the original tires are still in good shape at this juncture) have had zero problems with the car. I like the interior, I like the way the car looks, and I like the way it drives. Guess I'm just lucky.

Go for it if you enjoy mental torment...
By Ty

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

... at every turn. I bought this car in the winter of 2013. I enjoyed it for its lovely ride and handling. It was very good in the icy twist backs of Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains. However, this is where it ends. First problem was the transmission, it shuddered very roughly in reverse and driving forward off the line. I've taken it in about 4 times at this point. I took it to billings, Montana and it stalled, leaving me stranded for 3 days while no one could find the problem. One clutch pack replacement later at 45k it's been decent, however now at 82k it's shuddering again(thank god for the extended warranty). It threw a tie rod at 72k nearly flipping the car. Then the sync module dies. And now the starter/ignition has left me stranded 2 times only to have it towed into the shop where it is now day 6 and no one can figure out the problem. Also a minor nitpick, Ford needs to change their fuel economy numbers for this car as I only return 22mpg in mixed driving. Keep in mind I've had this car for one year Ford certainly has made an excellent torture device. College student or anyone looking for that constant anguish and embarrassment, look no further.

Drives good. Dash set-up sux. Synch Sux. Forced loss of privacy really sux..
By dez88

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Handles great. Stops ok. Has been reliable. Shifting is good once you learn to let it shift like a manual. Gets nowhere near the mileage it claims. Synch absolutely sucks eggs. Controls for blinkers /wipers /doorlocks /windows/ sound system/phone....it all is really bad...comical in some cases. Ford FORCES agreement to sharing your info with their "marketing partners". It is really BAD BUSINESS! I get sleazy, liar, cold callers saying things like "I am with the warranty department for your Ford Focus" when they are not...trying to sell me an aftermarket warranty. I have Ford's extended warranty. Ford does not allow you to opt-out. You will need new phone number if you buy a Ford.

handling

lose one-touch on window. It causes WAY more problems than it could ever solve. It takes way more time to deal with every time you want to just crack your window than it could ever save you. It is flat out dangerous sometimes. Ask me if you want more details...but it is moot. Everyone hates it. It may be the stupidest feature since Honda's automatic seat belts. Wiper controls should be on the blinker switch...out of the way. The dome light switch makes no sense at all. people laugh at it. Put the door lock switch on the door, and give me a way to unlock manually. I live in flash flood ally. you never know when you could end up in water.

Satisfied Customer
By jisla

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback is great. No problems at all. In the beginning I noticed a little jerk with the transmission, but it is no longer an issue. I just trained my right foot on how to accelerate and it accelerates real smoothly now. I love the way it handles and is great on gas. I love the exterior and interior design and the no gas cap feature makes putting gas in this car a snap. I just love driving it!

no gas cap feature, fog-lights. Roominess when rear seats are down for transporting cargo. Overall get up and go, instrument display--.not hard to figure out, cup holders in rear doors, front seats are real comfortable! Mother-in-law said the Focus front seats are more comfortable than in her Mercedes.

None! It's great in all areas. Ford hit a homerun with this car!

The only one
By duke2012

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We have a 2012 Focus and it has been a great little car. We are averaging 33.5 mpg on a trip from GA to TX & back, interstate and stop & go driving. At 20,000 miles we started having transmission shudder, I called service at our dealer. Decided it carry it in with it was time for a oil change, in a week got a notice from Ford stating to carry it in for service on the transmission. We carried it in the first of September and got it back the same day, no more shudder. We now have a 7 year - 100,000 warranty on the transmission. Dealership and Ford did everything to make us happy. Not sure about the other post but we are happy.