Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Mixed emotions
By isellthem1

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very impressed with the overall tightness of the platform and build quality is good. It is one of the best looking hatchbacks out there and I love the handling characteristics of this car but I am so pissed off at Ford for making such a fantastic vehicle and equipping it with an absolute joke of an automatic transmission. I love the concept of feeling the direct drive this torque converter-less transmission provides but the shifting dynamics are sub par. This unit should have never been introduced to the public in its current state. Opt for the 5 speed!

Fold flat rear seats and good cargo room for a compact. Great front bucket seats with 5 way adjustable heat settings. SYNC system makes me look forward to making my call when I'm driving.

Please put the previous auto-box back in!!

It was fun to drive when it ran
By gris1969

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had my car in a while. Seven weeks ago it broke down and Ford can't seem to fix it and they are on there 3rd try. I have had loaner after loaner waiting. It was a nice car until hitting around 33k miles and then it turned into the joke of my workplace. Maybe I'll get a new one out of the lemon law. I have the manual transmission and the problem with the car is when you go to start it, it tries to start but shuts right off.

Sync worked very well when the car ran. I like heated seats new operation better than the pushbutton one every one else uses.

Make a reliable car...period. I have had many Ford cars in the past and this is the first one that has let me down. It will take a while before my wife will trust the car when we get it back.

Price/Quality
By nataliasturza

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my focus se for about half a year now and drove almost 6.000 miles. It was used with about 30.000 miles, however, can say for sure, I am totally in love with this car. The performance is above average, I have about 32 MPG, although, read the previous comments about 35-40, so will work on my driving skills improvement. The driving process is smooth and light, sometimes it seems that it drives by itself. Besides, I completely adore the design of the car, the big "eyes" and pretty "butt" always catch attention. I was debating between Nissan Versa, Mazda 3 and Ford Fiesta and now can say for sure, I made the right choice. Natalia.

The best non-turbo hatchback available.
By redcomet

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a '12 Focus SE Sport hatchback with the manual MTX-75 5-speed transmission and 17-inch option wheels, 203A package in May of 2012, and so far am very satisfied with the car. At the price point ($20k), it's an extremely competent little car. The engine has a lot of get up and go (with the TCS off especially), excellent handling, a great gearbox, and a very refined ride. The car regularly returns a combined fuel economy over 30mpg average, and I've gotten nearly 40mpg on the highway. The stock ContiProCotact Continental 215/50/17 tires are alright, though they're holding up surprisingly well in a Northeast winter. Overall, a very fun, affordable, chuckable car. Kudos to Ford

Can you call the engine a feature? I'm almost positive the car has more than 160bhp (dyno testing shows stock 2012 Focuses putting down 150whp, which means there's no way it's just 160 at the crank, given even 15% drivetrain loss, probably more). Power down low isn't that great, but above 2500 and all the way to redline, it's go-time, which is surprising out of a little family hatchback. The other great feature are the fold-flat 60/40 split rear seats. You can pull the headrests out, fold the bottom cushions towards the front, and fold the seat-backs completely flat. I moved across state lines and had so much room, I only needed a truck for large furniture! An amazingly practical car!

They need to work on SYNC w. MyFord. At best, it's serviceable. At worst, you're deeply engrossed in a shouting match with it. Bluetooth calling is clear, but getting it to recognize names sometimes is tough, and SYNC does not play well with Apple iDevices (multiple instances of issues indexing media, frozen screens, etc). SYNC isn't intuitive. Also, they could have made the pedals a bit stiffer and, for the sport package, aluminum instead of cheap rubber. They're also not spaced very well, and the driver's side footwell can feel cramped, especially after a lot of downshifting. But, it's the mark of a great car when the biggest complaint I can give is the infotainment system.

Not one regret about buying the Focus
By matt_sevier

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my '12 Focus SE with sport package and 5 spd manual transmission for a couple months now. I have driven it about 4,000 miles so far and I'm still in love with this little hatchback. The other two cars I was seriously considering when shopping were the Mazda 3 with the SkyactivG and 6 spd manual, and the new '13 Dodge Dart II with the 1.4l multi-air and the 6 spd manual. Based on test drives I found the Dart II to have the best power, but it took quite a trip into the higher end of the tachometer to wring it out. The Mazda, by far, had the slickest transmission, which felt like I was in a Miata, but the interior felt dated and generic. The Focus is was the best all around.

I love the roominess of the Focus, and so do my two sons. There's plenty of little stowage trays in the back for the kids to use. The rear seat lower cushions pop out easily to fold the seatbacks down flat and provides a cavernous space when needed. After driving similar class cars with the 6 speed manual transmissions, I honestly don't feel they had any advantage over this 5 speed. Shift and clutch feel are nearly as nice as the Mazda, and the Focus' wider powerband makes better use of the gears. Side mirrors have excellent view. Handling is phenomenal for a car that rides so nice on the highway as well! I have not had a single issue with this car, but it's only been a short period.

I have to nitpick here. In every other vehicle I've driven with cruise control on the wheel, the CC buttons were on the right hand side, while the stereo controls were on the left. They're reversed on the Focus and it bugs me a bit that I have to take my concentration off the road to adjust the settings of either one, but I assume I'll get used to that. I'm also finding that with such a steep rake of the windshield that any dirt or grime really effects visibility and glare and dashboard reflection. Finally, I wish the power door lock controls were on the door and not the dashboard. I'm averaging 31.4 MPG at the moment in mixed commuting, which isn't bad, but I'd like to see that go up some.