Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

To loud
By Don't buy ford

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first things buyers should know about the 2012 hatchback at least, is that the upholstery material is not water or stain resistant. I live in Florida where it rains a lot, and the water stains from getting caught in a down pour are unforgiving. The interior of my car looks like it has giraffe spots. There isn't an upholstery cleaner out there that has removed these stains. What the heck was ford thinking!! Due to the close confines of the interior, the engine noise sounds extremely loud and it makes the car vibrate to much when sitting in park. This might be a nice, first car for a high school graduate to bump around in (it's a step up from a golf cart) but for mature driver's like myself who want a peaceful, quieter ride, Big mistake!

bought it and 3 days later.. new transmission
By JR Gillespie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the local Ford Dealer in Dallas, GA last weekend to look at cars. I found a 2012 SE Hatchback that seemed nice enough, Ford Certified used car, great condition, 40,000miles with 100,000 powertrain and extended 36,000 mile bumper to bumper

It seemed a bit funny on the test drive, all flat terrain but was assured that was normal. Then I took it to work the first time.. on my way home it was mostly uphill

and it slipped at every time I tried to start up from a stop, rolled back at every stop and at speed would lose power and slip out like into neutral

The second day it was even worse so I called the dealer who referred me to service who said it was a easy fix and they had to reprogram the transmission with the new software released this week

dropped the car off this morning and a hour later was told it would require a whole new transmission and they have to order parts which are in short availability and could take weeks before I have my 3 day old car back..

at least they loaned me a fusion..

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!

Looks great and stylish, but build quality is poor
By John

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is all about looks and style with the only exception the great gas mileage. The suspension is sub par with problems keeping the wheels in alignment. The interior build quality is poor - the headliner is poorly constructed and is noisy. There are dash board rattles at all moderate speeds. The sound system is poor at best.

You get what you pay for - as the old adage goes.

I Love This Car!
By Joseph

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I read the reviews about the 2012 Focus before I bought it and I admit that some of the reviews about the auto tranny with the dual clutch had me worried. But when I drive this car, that dual-clutch transmission is what makes the car so peppy. For does a nice job converting the 160 horsepower into an incredibly amount of acceleration for a 4 banger. When I need to move out into traffic, I shift the auto into SPORT mode and give it gas and I am *never disappointed with how quickly this car accelerates, even at highway speeds. I'm not leaving any Mustangs or Corvettes in my dust, but I am making the Hyundai Elantra owners wonder if they made the right choice as they view the beautiful styling of my focus from behind in traffic as I pull away. And if you are worried about the transmission issues that *some people have reported (a minority of owners, not all), then take comfort in the fact that Ford's drive train warranty is 5 years and 60 thousand miles and that warranty transfers with the car. So if you buy it used, you have the warranty. Also, Ford extended the warranty on the part of the transmission that has been troublesome to 100,000 miles. If you like the car, buy it. Don't listen to the naysayers. This is my third Ford and I have enjoyed each one and had good experiences with them all.

Piece of crap
By Melissa

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beyond what is considered normal grinding noises and hesitation to accelerate by ford, my 2012 focus decided to just stop in the middle of the road while driving. I commute and this could have been a serious safety concern if I would of been on a major highway. Other problems was the interior plastic was shaking and not put together well, coming apart only after a few months. In the winter my drivers side window does not open. And it is the worst car I have ever driven in the snow!!!!! Dont waste your $$$ buying this overpriced POS.