Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Horrible
By Kylie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

DO NOT BUY. The transmission is absolutely horrible and ford will do NOTHING to fix it. I have broken down 2 times, my car will not accelerate and the
RPMS just go crazy. I have had it in the shop 3 times within the past 2 months and they refuse to do anything for it.

Reliable little thing!!!!!
By Shirley

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

people complain about the way the focus drives it does shake at times and feels weird that's the transmission doing its job it's not your basic automatic tranny its's a manual shifting gears for you so it will drive a little like a stick but thats how it saves on gas and has some speed to it!!!! I bought the car used at 30,000 miles and had it for two years now at 69,000 and let me tell you i travel often and this car was never in the shop for one thing i love this car!!!!

Fun car with some quirks
By Old Pony

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this car new after my 99 Mustang got blown up by a mechanic replacing its thermostat...arg. Didn't want to pay the price for a new Mustang and didn't like any of the used ones on the lot. I chose the Focus because basically I'm a Ford guy and I thought it might tone down my driving style stepping down to something more civil in my old age lol.
Pros: This is a great handling car and feels very similar to a '72 Datsun 240Z I owned when I was younger. I live along the coast of Northern California and have taken it through the paces so to speak. It is an automatic, but handles the twisties fine. No mechanical issues to report, but I should mention that I drive this car with the traction control off (when traction control on it is terrible in some situations, but be warned you will need to hold on the wheel if you accelerate hard from a stop if turned off).
Cons: I'm not real comfortable with the seat build..kinda like Ford designed it to fit all sizes and I wish it felt snugger. The brakes are great when I'm alone in the car, but found that they could be better with a passenger. My car is actually an SE auto with a few extras. Stereo is barely passable for my taste. Resale value is still pathetic, but I think this is more a mentality.
Overall I'm very happy with this car. Allows me to still have some fun and feel comfortable driving. I got a 2012 Honda Civic once as a loaner during some routine maintenance..not even close when it came to driving experience and ergonomics.

bought it and 3 days later.. new transmission
By JR Gillespie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the local Ford Dealer in Dallas, GA last weekend to look at cars. I found a 2012 SE Hatchback that seemed nice enough, Ford Certified used car, great condition, 40,000miles with 100,000 powertrain and extended 36,000 mile bumper to bumper

It seemed a bit funny on the test drive, all flat terrain but was assured that was normal. Then I took it to work the first time.. on my way home it was mostly uphill

and it slipped at every time I tried to start up from a stop, rolled back at every stop and at speed would lose power and slip out like into neutral

The second day it was even worse so I called the dealer who referred me to service who said it was a easy fix and they had to reprogram the transmission with the new software released this week

dropped the car off this morning and a hour later was told it would require a whole new transmission and they have to order parts which are in short availability and could take weeks before I have my 3 day old car back..

at least they loaned me a fusion..

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!

Dont Buy
By penny

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Please don't buy this car.....clutch problems fro day one!