Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Drives good. Dash set-up sux. Synch Sux. Forced loss of privacy really sux..
By dez88

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Handles great. Stops ok. Has been reliable. Shifting is good once you learn to let it shift like a manual. Gets nowhere near the mileage it claims. Synch absolutely sucks eggs. Controls for blinkers /wipers /doorlocks /windows/ sound system/phone....it all is really bad...comical in some cases. Ford FORCES agreement to sharing your info with their "marketing partners". It is really BAD BUSINESS! I get sleazy, liar, cold callers saying things like "I am with the warranty department for your Ford Focus" when they are not...trying to sell me an aftermarket warranty. I have Ford's extended warranty. Ford does not allow you to opt-out. You will need new phone number if you buy a Ford.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

lose one-touch on window. It causes WAY more problems than it could ever solve. It takes way more time to deal with every time you want to just crack your window than it could ever save you. It is flat out dangerous sometimes. Ask me if you want more details...but it is moot. Everyone hates it. It may be the stupidest feature since Honda's automatic seat belts. Wiper controls should be on the blinker switch...out of the way. The dome light switch makes no sense at all. people laugh at it. Put the door lock switch on the door, and give me a way to unlock manually. I live in flash flood ally. you never know when you could end up in water.

Satisfied Customer
By jisla

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback is great. No problems at all. In the beginning I noticed a little jerk with the transmission, but it is no longer an issue. I just trained my right foot on how to accelerate and it accelerates real smoothly now. I love the way it handles and is great on gas. I love the exterior and interior design and the no gas cap feature makes putting gas in this car a snap. I just love driving it!

Favorite Features

no gas cap feature, fog-lights. Roominess when rear seats are down for transporting cargo. Overall get up and go, instrument display--.not hard to figure out, cup holders in rear doors, front seats are real comfortable! Mother-in-law said the Focus front seats are more comfortable than in her Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

None! It's great in all areas. Ford hit a homerun with this car!

The only one
By duke2012

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We have a 2012 Focus and it has been a great little car. We are averaging 33.5 mpg on a trip from GA to TX & back, interstate and stop & go driving. At 20,000 miles we started having transmission shudder, I called service at our dealer. Decided it carry it in with it was time for a oil change, in a week got a notice from Ford stating to carry it in for service on the transmission. We carried it in the first of September and got it back the same day, no more shudder. We now have a 7 year - 100,000 warranty on the transmission. Dealership and Ford did everything to make us happy. Not sure about the other post but we are happy.

REALLY!!!!
By shebamidnightr

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my focus brand new and for the first two years it ran like a dream the gas was good the car is cute then one day my car just randomly starts cutting off while in motion I took it to ford and they didn't and wouldn't fix it I've been to the dealership at least 4 times in the last month just to end of being told that its the fuel pulposion system and that its 2000.00 to fix and by the way it isn't covered under warranty!

Good Luck if you buy it.
By salmark

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have a Ford Focus 2012 that I bought used. I just got out of the dealership. Why? Engine light turned on while I was driving and suddenly my entire car is lunging back and forth and gears are going nuts. Worse of all, I can't even put it in reverse. If you're going to get a Focus, good luck. I looked at reviews before and said, "meh, it won't happen to me." It did. Transmission might have to be replaced. Bluntly put, let's just say I'm not going to go Ford for a good time. Oh, and highway MPG is amazing. City... totally sucks. 18-23 and I don't drive rough at all. Might as well be driving a Jeep with that mileage. Thanks Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks amazing and on the interior of a Titanium version, it looks very chic as well; though the touchscreen needs to be somewhat forcibly pushed. Let's just say it's not an iPad. If your car came with a little resonator/little intake, it sounds perfect, not obnoxious but not weak. Decent acceleration. Nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your transmission Ford. This would have been "the car" for everyone to buy. But nope, you just had to mess up the basics. -clapclap-