2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Satisfied Customer
By jisla on 12/18/14 05:46 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback is great. No problems at all. In the beginning I noticed a little jerk with the transmission, but it is no longer an issue. I just trained my right foot on how to accelerate and it accelerates real smoothly now. I love the way it handles and is great on gas. I love the exterior and interior design and the no gas cap feature makes putting gas in this car a snap. I just love driving it!

The only one
By duke2012 on 11/17/14 13:34 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We have a 2012 Focus and it has been a great little car. We are averaging 33.5 mpg on a trip from GA to TX & back, interstate and stop & go driving. At 20,000 miles we started having transmission shudder, I called service at our dealer. Decided it carry it in with it was time for a oil change, in a week got a notice from Ford stating to carry it in for service on the transmission. We carried it in the first of September and got it back the same day, no more shudder. We now have a 7 year - 100,000 warranty on the transmission. Dealership and Ford did everything to make us happy. Not sure about the other post but we are happy.

REALLY!!!!
By shebamidnightr on 09/29/14 07:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my focus brand new and for the first two years it ran like a dream the gas was good the car is cute then one day my car just randomly starts cutting off while in motion I took it to ford and they didn't and wouldn't fix it I've been to the dealership at least 4 times in the last month just to end of being told that its the fuel pulposion system and that its 2000.00 to fix and by the way it isn't covered under warranty!

Good Luck if you buy it.
By salmark on 09/11/14 11:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have a Ford Focus 2012 that I bought used. I just got out of the dealership. Why? Engine light turned on while I was driving and suddenly my entire car is lunging back and forth and gears are going nuts. Worse of all, I can't even put it in reverse. If you're going to get a Focus, good luck. I looked at reviews before and said, "meh, it won't happen to me." It did. Transmission might have to be replaced. Bluntly put, let's just say I'm not going to go Ford for a good time. Oh, and highway MPG is amazing. City... totally sucks. 18-23 and I don't drive rough at all. Might as well be driving a Jeep with that mileage. Thanks Ford.

One big LEMON!
By psugrad15 on 08/13/14 08:32 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

What a lemon and huge disappointment the car has been. I guess I am even more disappointed in Ford for not standing behind their vehicle. I have had nothing but issues with this car from the day I got it. It was all quickly pushed under the rug as normal break-in time. Well, the car is dangerous and should be recalled! The transmission revs are highway speeds and you lose all ability to accelerate. I have had it happen now four times and when I take it to the dealer, they cannot dublicate the issue. So it am sent on my way again. Well, not before I give them a laundry list of all the other items that need to be repaired. Including that crap Ford touch system. What a joke! RUN!

So many bad reviews, someone should stick up for Focus
By cajunman90 on 08/11/14 15:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start off by saying I love my Focus! I have 55,000 miles on mine, with 80 mile a day commutes in Houston traffic, which is pretty bad, and I have not had trouble with my Focus. The transmission is an Auto-Manual, it is supposed to feel how it does, one cannot drive it like a traditional automatic transmission and expect it to perform the same. It simply is not the same thing. Considering my Focus is self shifting a manual transmission, it does pretty dang well. Plus I have had no problems with it either. Stop and go traffic is not bad at all. As for those with size problems, you purchased a compact car. Compact meaning Small! This is a wonderful car that I will gladly buy again.

Mechanically Unreliable, Ford Service in Denial
By cdubaz on 07/13/14 18:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought the car new off the showroom floor. My first Ford since my 1965 Mustang. The very first day I drove the car to work, it had under 20 miles on it and the transmission refused to shift into gear. Ford towed it in but the dash light had gone off and they couldn't find the problem. They blamed Microsoft... It continued to drag while shifting for two years and I mentioned it every time. I got the same story--that it was normal for this car. It again began refusing to shift and began stalling. I took it back in and was told it was the "transmission module" and because it was now over 36k, I would have to pay. The also said my wheel bearings were going and had to replace those!

A good vehicle with some critical flaws
By quasirev on 06/14/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The Focus is a fun to drive and comfortable car. The exterior styling is well done. That's all that's positive with owning this vehicle. Negatives: 1)Automatic (DCT) is awful, and seems to perform worse as the vehicle ages. Three Ford dealers have been unable to fix its behavior, simply stating that it's performing normal. 2)MyFordTouch is so maddening in its design and performance that I barely change the radio station or use any of the other features or inputs. Sync Services is a disaster of voice recognition and insufferable prompts. 3)Ride quality is great on smooth roads, messy on uneven pavement. Make sure you test drive it on roads you'll be driving it on. 4)Cramp rear seat

I "was" so happy
By daisyp on 04/08/14 00:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I was so happy when I first bought this car but like another reviewer said, I soon regretted ever buying it. I have been to Ford's service department so many times, people joke and say "Hi, you again?" The transmission in this car is a disaster, The car jerks and rattles so much, I'm in constant fear it's going to shut off. It took over 4 times of me taking the car in to Ford for them to finally admit there was something wrong with the transmission, before that they kept saying "Oh that's normal". The air conditioning gets hot and cold on it's own and they also say they can't find the problem. So I'm done with this car and in the process of the Lemon Law.

Shimmy and Shake
By butlersride on 03/28/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I FINALLY got out of this car; but it did cost me. The transmission was faulty from the get-go and you'll regret the day you ever bought it. At parking lot speeds the transmission cannot make up its mind, but worse, many times it gets stuck in neutral and then catch and thrust you forward. In my car the "reverse sensor" frequently came on while I was in drive. The MPG is horrible, in the City I got 23, they vastly exaggerate how efficient the car is.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*