2012 Ford Focus Titanium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Good Luck if you buy it.
By salmark

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have a Ford Focus 2012 that I bought used. I just got out of the dealership. Why? Engine light turned on while I was driving and suddenly my entire car is lunging back and forth and gears are going nuts. Worse of all, I can't even put it in reverse. If you're going to get a Focus, good luck. I looked at reviews before and said, "meh, it won't happen to me." It did. Transmission might have to be replaced. Bluntly put, let's just say I'm not going to go Ford for a good time. Oh, and highway MPG is amazing. City... totally sucks. 18-23 and I don't drive rough at all. Might as well be driving a Jeep with that mileage. Thanks Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks amazing and on the interior of a Titanium version, it looks very chic as well; though the touchscreen needs to be somewhat forcibly pushed. Let's just say it's not an iPad. If your car came with a little resonator/little intake, it sounds perfect, not obnoxious but not weak. Decent acceleration. Nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your transmission Ford. This would have been "the car" for everyone to buy. But nope, you just had to mess up the basics. -clapclap-

One big LEMON!
By psugrad15

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

What a lemon and huge disappointment the car has been. I guess I am even more disappointed in Ford for not standing behind their vehicle. I have had nothing but issues with this car from the day I got it. It was all quickly pushed under the rug as normal break-in time. Well, the car is dangerous and should be recalled! The transmission revs are highway speeds and you lose all ability to accelerate. I have had it happen now four times and when I take it to the dealer, they cannot dublicate the issue. So it am sent on my way again. Well, not before I give them a laundry list of all the other items that need to be repaired. Including that crap Ford touch system. What a joke! RUN!

Suggested Improvements

Start from scratch. Not sure you can save this one.

So many bad reviews, someone should stick up for Focus
By cajunman90

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start off by saying I love my Focus! I have 55,000 miles on mine, with 80 mile a day commutes in Houston traffic, which is pretty bad, and I have not had trouble with my Focus. The transmission is an Auto-Manual, it is supposed to feel how it does, one cannot drive it like a traditional automatic transmission and expect it to perform the same. It simply is not the same thing. Considering my Focus is self shifting a manual transmission, it does pretty dang well. Plus I have had no problems with it either. Stop and go traffic is not bad at all. As for those with size problems, you purchased a compact car. Compact meaning Small! This is a wonderful car that I will gladly buy again.

Favorite Features

Titanium Handling package is great, 2 turn lock to lock and tight suspension makes for a great fun car that also commutes well. The sync gets hated on but updates have significantly improved it and it works great. The car looks great and I find it also has great visibility, much better than my wife's 3 series BMW. The interior is designed wonderfully, with just enough edge but also classy and symmetrical. Does not seem plasticy and cheap. I love the gas mileage it gets even with the full size spare in the back. Only maintenance has been new tires and soon will need new brakes, other than that, normal oil changes is all I've brought it in for.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a little more horsepower for the Focus. It has great pick up but a little more would be nice. Obviously sync can be improved but Ford has been working on it continuously along the way. Software can be updated people! Cooled seats could be an extra amenity, but with so many options to choose from, including self parking system, its hard to complain about a lack of options, when there are plenty.

Ford Focus Titanium
By racerrich

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 10 Focus and the engine noise was unreal so the salesperson lied through his teeth and said the new 12 fixed the problem. The engine noise is to the point on the I.S. you can not hear the radio without blasting it. The handling Pkg. 18" wheels has you riding as if you were on a Go-Cart! Jerky trans. dealer said thats normal! Gas mileage what a joke unless less you drive 55. Other than that great styling and fun to drive, but it's my last Ford & I've driven them since H.S. and i'm 72. Was going to get a Fuson but my buddy said it was JUNK and in the garage 13 times..[non-permissible content removed]

2012 FOCUS HATCHBACK TITANIUM
By ron273

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Poor ride quality. Steering is heavy. Excessive Road Noise. Finicky electronics. Confusing controls. Difficult to enter/exit without hitting head. Chrome from dash vents reflects in windows and distracts vision in sideview mirrors. Transmission fine on highway. Too jerky for stop and go traffic.

Favorite Features

review camera is the one feature that is appreciable

Suggested Improvements

More headroom can be gained by reducing the severe angle of the windshield. Aerodymics are over rated when they compromise entrance and egress. Dashboard and controls are overwhelming needing to be downsized and simplified. Scrap the automatic transmission and go back to a conventional design. Do ANYTHING to reduce road noise!!

Our 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback Lemon
By rwig44

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My wife and I ordered this car loaded....even had mud flaps installed. The car drove well...but at the 10,000 mile service, Duval Ford, found the brake master cylinder was bad, even though my wife had had the car in the shop previously for brakes not working properly and all they did, was add brake fluid to the master cylinder THe Sync system always had problems, automatic windows would become unresponsive, radio would change stations after receiving a phone call. At 20,000 miles the main seals on the engine are leaking, when they tear into it, found both shaft seals on transmission leaking and damaged clutch pack. We No Longer own a Ford.

Ford Focus 2012 Titanium : Nightmare
By gillesm

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The ford Focus 2012 Titanium Last september 2011, i have bought a Ford Focus 2012 Titanium. That day was the day when i did my worst error ever . Just one week later – not one year, but one week – i was driving in Montreal city when strange noises were coming out from transmission. At low speed and especially during a stop and go situation, some strong vibrations and stalling occured regularly. Since september 2011, i visited Ford dealer more often than the last 10 years driving Honda and Toyota. Despite - so far - four computer update trying to resolve that transmission nigthmare, the situation got worse.

Good Commuter
By ficklest

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Love the car! Purchased in late December - 12,000 miles on it already! My commute is 102 miles per day. Looks great, very comfortable ride. Combined mileage is 32.5 - some bumper to bumper and some highway speed. Exactly as expected. I am experiencing the same low gear shudder/shaking that everyone is talking about, and I'm going to take it to the dealership to have them check it out - just to get it on record. It does not, however, seem to affect the way the car drives, other than being a little finicky when downshifting.

Favorite Features

Sync, looks, comfort and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission improvements.

Economy with Style
By rockdog77

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We took delivery of our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5dr Hatchback in Blaze Yellow in Jan 2012. It now has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it and is our main family car. We have had it in for 2 updates, and I have processed 2 sync updates at home which were lengthy but fairly easy. The daily commute is over 40 miles and we have averaged 32-33 mpg since new. On long highway trips we can usually get 41 mpg. Overall we love the car and feel we made the right decision.

Favorite Features

I like the interior as a driver, but as a passenger, my left knee rubs on the hard plastic of the center console but it doesn't affect my wife. The kiddos in back have no complaints. The seats are comfortable and the leather seems to be holding up well. I also like the performance for it's class. It doesn't like jack rabbit starts, but I've learned to slowly roll into the throttle if I'm feeling sporty.

Suggested Improvements

We opted for the performance package which included 18" wheels and lower profile summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport3). I intend to replace them with a quieter tire and maybe even look into going to 17" wheels for more forgiveness in the tire sidewall. The road noise above 50 mph can be excessive on certain types of pavements, (might be solvable with different tires) but with these tires it handles great. The shifter buttons on the shift handle are all but pointless.

I just Don't know
By zhuber07

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus around thanksgiving in 2011. Bought it brand new and was happy with it while test driving. For the first 6 months, it ran fine. But after that 6month point, started having problems. If I stop at a light, I have stalled(this is an automatic), where I have to change to Park or neutral, then put it back into drive. Each gear shift creates very large shudder noises as if my transmission is about to die. My radio has not turned on before or just got stuck and not turn off. Handling is great, and when it does go, it can getup and go for the kind of car it is. I drive decently, but never hit the MPG mark they have advertise

Favorite Features

Push to start button; keyless start. The look of it is pretty nice. Features it came with is decent, but seen better for the price I paid.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission. Advertise correct gas mileage. Maybe a more comfortable ride. It is the titanium edition and not the sport edition.