2012 Ford Focus SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Drives good. Dash set-up sux. Synch Sux. Forced loss of privacy really sux..
By dez88

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Handles great. Stops ok. Has been reliable. Shifting is good once you learn to let it shift like a manual. Gets nowhere near the mileage it claims. Synch absolutely sucks eggs. Controls for blinkers /wipers /doorlocks /windows/ sound system/phone....it all is really bad...comical in some cases. Ford FORCES agreement to sharing your info with their "marketing partners". It is really BAD BUSINESS! I get sleazy, liar, cold callers saying things like "I am with the warranty department for your Ford Focus" when they are not...trying to sell me an aftermarket warranty. I have Ford's extended warranty. Ford does not allow you to opt-out. You will need new phone number if you buy a Ford.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

lose one-touch on window. It causes WAY more problems than it could ever solve. It takes way more time to deal with every time you want to just crack your window than it could ever save you. It is flat out dangerous sometimes. Ask me if you want more details...but it is moot. Everyone hates it. It may be the stupidest feature since Honda's automatic seat belts. Wiper controls should be on the blinker switch...out of the way. The dome light switch makes no sense at all. people laugh at it. Put the door lock switch on the door, and give me a way to unlock manually. I live in flash flood ally. you never know when you could end up in water.

Satisfied Customer
By jisla

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback is great. No problems at all. In the beginning I noticed a little jerk with the transmission, but it is no longer an issue. I just trained my right foot on how to accelerate and it accelerates real smoothly now. I love the way it handles and is great on gas. I love the exterior and interior design and the no gas cap feature makes putting gas in this car a snap. I just love driving it!

Favorite Features

no gas cap feature, fog-lights. Roominess when rear seats are down for transporting cargo. Overall get up and go, instrument display--.not hard to figure out, cup holders in rear doors, front seats are real comfortable! Mother-in-law said the Focus front seats are more comfortable than in her Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

None! It's great in all areas. Ford hit a homerun with this car!

The only one
By duke2012

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We have a 2012 Focus and it has been a great little car. We are averaging 33.5 mpg on a trip from GA to TX & back, interstate and stop & go driving. At 20,000 miles we started having transmission shudder, I called service at our dealer. Decided it carry it in with it was time for a oil change, in a week got a notice from Ford stating to carry it in for service on the transmission. We carried it in the first of September and got it back the same day, no more shudder. We now have a 7 year - 100,000 warranty on the transmission. Dealership and Ford did everything to make us happy. Not sure about the other post but we are happy.

REALLY!!!!
By shebamidnightr

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my focus brand new and for the first two years it ran like a dream the gas was good the car is cute then one day my car just randomly starts cutting off while in motion I took it to ford and they didn't and wouldn't fix it I've been to the dealership at least 4 times in the last month just to end of being told that its the fuel pulposion system and that its 2000.00 to fix and by the way it isn't covered under warranty!

Mechanically Unreliable, Ford Service in Denial
By cdubaz

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought the car new off the showroom floor. My first Ford since my 1965 Mustang. The very first day I drove the car to work, it had under 20 miles on it and the transmission refused to shift into gear. Ford towed it in but the dash light had gone off and they couldn't find the problem. They blamed Microsoft... It continued to drag while shifting for two years and I mentioned it every time. I got the same story--that it was normal for this car. It again began refusing to shift and began stalling. I took it back in and was told it was the "transmission module" and because it was now over 36k, I would have to pay. The also said my wheel bearings were going and had to replace those!

Favorite Features

The interior was comfortable. The exterior was nice looking. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issues with the transmission--own up to it! Train your Ford service people to diagnose and have at least some semblance of customer service. Ford Service is the worst I've encountered in over 30 years! Don't be fooled by the pretty exterior.

A good vehicle with some critical flaws
By quasirev

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The Focus is a fun to drive and comfortable car. The exterior styling is well done. That's all that's positive with owning this vehicle. Negatives: 1)Automatic (DCT) is awful, and seems to perform worse as the vehicle ages. Three Ford dealers have been unable to fix its behavior, simply stating that it's performing normal. 2)MyFordTouch is so maddening in its design and performance that I barely change the radio station or use any of the other features or inputs. Sync Services is a disaster of voice recognition and insufferable prompts. 3)Ride quality is great on smooth roads, messy on uneven pavement. Make sure you test drive it on roads you'll be driving it on. 4)Cramp rear seat

Favorite Features

Steering quality and feel. Relatively quick acceleration. Quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior packaging, use an automatic that performs on par with automatics of competitors, ditch MyFordTouch and start fresh, figure out a way to tidy up the ride quality on rough pavement while preserving the fun-to-drive characteristics. The Focus is a bit too wide in use, which actually makes it surprisingly cumbersome to park for such a small car. The turning diameter is on the large side for a small car as well. Beyond that, the engine is certainly less refined than any current Honda 4 cylinder I have been in. There's vibration at idle and it becomes quite noisy above 4500 RPM.

I "was" so happy
By daisyp

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I was so happy when I first bought this car but like another reviewer said, I soon regretted ever buying it. I have been to Ford's service department so many times, people joke and say "Hi, you again?" The transmission in this car is a disaster, The car jerks and rattles so much, I'm in constant fear it's going to shut off. It took over 4 times of me taking the car in to Ford for them to finally admit there was something wrong with the transmission, before that they kept saying "Oh that's normal". The air conditioning gets hot and cold on it's own and they also say they can't find the problem. So I'm done with this car and in the process of the Lemon Law.

Favorite Features

Interior design, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

Junk that junky transmission

Shimmy and Shake
By butlersride

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I FINALLY got out of this car; but it did cost me. The transmission was faulty from the get-go and you'll regret the day you ever bought it. At parking lot speeds the transmission cannot make up its mind, but worse, many times it gets stuck in neutral and then catch and thrust you forward. In my car the "reverse sensor" frequently came on while I was in drive. The MPG is horrible, in the City I got 23, they vastly exaggerate how efficient the car is.

Favorite Features

Sony stereo is nice

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission; tell the truth about the MPG

Dual-Clutch Auto Trans is a bad idea
By sirhawkeye

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Overall an OK for the money. BUT... Beware of the dual-clutch transmission though. the 2012's had a lot of problems with them (clutch notise, which Ford dismisses as normal, which is not true if you ask any true auto tech or engineer). That and carbon build-up on the engine due to direct injection (Google it and you'll find out pretty quick). It's a sporty car, design is nice, interior is nice (just wish the transmission lived up to the hype that Ford put into it). Even the Fiesta has the same transmission problems.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Syc was OK (when it works--which was about half the time). Powerful engine (although automated-manual dual-clutch transmission is another story), Overall good value for the money. Build quality (interior and exterior is fine. Lots of options. Great fuel economy (I could get 45 MPG during the summer on the highway and that was with an automatic WITHOUT the extended fuel economy package). Great commuter car (maybe not so good as a family car unless you have 1-2 kids only). Overall they are safe.

Suggested Improvements

*First, Have heard direct injection causes carbon build-up on the valvaes as early as 30k miles (Traded mine before 30k so I didn't notice this)--but Google it if you're curious. *Dual-Clutch transmission needs to be re-done/re-designed (the one in the 2013 Dodge Dart is so much better and smoother shifting). *Ford needs to get rid of Sync and go with an in-house design or something else. Sometimes technology can hurt a manufacturer's image, especially when the technology doesn't work half the time (and it takes your attention from the road to figure out how to get it TO work). *Power windows & cruise standard on all models (including S). *Make a turbo-diesel version (like in Europe)

Stalling and Gear Issues
By jenn74really

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased the 2012 Ford Focus in 11-2011. It was slow initially in responding to the gas. The reaction time is delayed and losing power. Over the past year, I am stalled approx. 50 times. Recently, the gears don't seem to be lined up properly. When the vehicle is in park, it has rolled. When the vehicle is in reverse, then drive, the car is still in reverse. I nearly hit a parked car backing out of a parking lot. Right after that happened the vehicle stalled and quit completely. Engine light was on for a short period. After several attempts to start the vehicle again, I was forced to have a tow truck retrieve the vehicle. Non-operable and unsafe. Ford does not see a problem.

Favorite Features

Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Ford Manufacturing will need to either recall this issue or issue full replacement of purchase on these vehicles to the consumer. This car will cause some serious safety issues if not dealt with properly. This is a high risk vehicle to drive and I suggest that Ford repair or issue refunds their buyers.