Used 2012 Ford Focus SEL Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

should be a class action lawsuit against ford
By Beezies3

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford has known since 2003 that the dual clutch was no good yet they put it in my 2012 Ford Focus.

Reliable little thing!!!!!
By Shirley

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

people complain about the way the focus drives it does shake at times and feels weird that's the transmission doing its job it's not your basic automatic tranny its's a manual shifting gears for you so it will drive a little like a stick but thats how it saves on gas and has some speed to it!!!! I bought the car used at 30,000 miles and had it for two years now at 69,000 and let me tell you i travel often and this car was never in the shop for one thing i love this car!!!!

Fun car with some quirks
By Old Pony

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this car new after my 99 Mustang got blown up by a mechanic replacing its thermostat...arg. Didn't want to pay the price for a new Mustang and didn't like any of the used ones on the lot. I chose the Focus because basically I'm a Ford guy and I thought it might tone down my driving style stepping down to something more civil in my old age lol.
Pros: This is a great handling car and feels very similar to a '72 Datsun 240Z I owned when I was younger. I live along the coast of Northern California and have taken it through the paces so to speak. It is an automatic, but handles the twisties fine. No mechanical issues to report, but I should mention that I drive this car with the traction control off (when traction control on it is terrible in some situations, but be warned you will need to hold on the wheel if you accelerate hard from a stop if turned off).
Cons: I'm not real comfortable with the seat build..kinda like Ford designed it to fit all sizes and I wish it felt snugger. The brakes are great when I'm alone in the car, but found that they could be better with a passenger. My car is actually an SE auto with a few extras. Stereo is barely passable for my taste. Resale value is still pathetic, but I think this is more a mentality.
Overall I'm very happy with this car. Allows me to still have some fun and feel comfortable driving. I got a 2012 Honda Civic once as a loaner during some routine maintenance..not even close when it came to driving experience and ergonomics.

Dont Buy
By penny

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Please don't buy this car.....clutch problems fro day one!

Don't Buy It. Don't Be another Statistic
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't buy this car. It's not worth taking the chance with the transmission. I bought this car thinking that the transmission problems would get fixed. Bought the car at 28,000. In my first months of having the car, I went to the dealership for shuddering and gear grinding noises.. oh and how the car completely shut down; engine light on and wouldn't go faster than 20 mph. THAT was scary on the freeway. Supposedly it's a safety mechanism. Talked with at Susan with my car at 50,000 at corporate and there's nothing that she can do. My car doesn't count to be a lemon.

It would be a great car if it wasn't for the transmission. Everything else is there but the fundamentals are all shot. And to my surprise, they are still implementing the same faulty transmission even in their new 2016 cars.