Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Constant Transmission Problems - replace the TCM
By Thomas

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I see a lot of complaints about the dual-clutch transmission and rightly so. In my experience it is garbage. When you take it to the dealership do not let them tell you that they don't know what it is because there has been at least one lawsuit filed in CA and there has been a recall on the Transmission Control Module. Make them replace it. Do not allow them to charge you for reprogramming a faulty TCM or Powertrain Module because they are simply reprogramming a bad component and bleeding your wallet dry. My local dealer was thoroughly inept and I eventually took my Focus out of State to Franklin Ford just south of Nashville where I found a woman in the service division that actually knew her job. Yes, I had to look in other States to find a dealer that didn't tell me the same lie the first dealer did. The other issue is that the dual clutches are dry rather than a wet system or the traditional torque converter. Anyone with any sense knows that slamming two clutch discs together over and over with no lubrication is just stupid. On a positive note the car is fun to drive...right up until the point that it leaves you sitting on the side of the interstate or the middle of an intersection with no way to move it...the mileage has been good, and the rest of the car has actually been reliable. Other negatives include an interior that won't even resist water stains so after a short time the seats look like the carpet in a daycare. If you are unfortunate enough to own one of these abominations, have Ford replace the TCM then sell it immediately to anyone willing to buy it. If I had known about this transmission I would have purchased a VW or Honda.

An update: After replacing the TCM in 2015 my Focus is back at the dealer. They said the TCM is bad and that the clutches and slave cylinder need to be replaced. I have questioned the wisdom of replacing parts that we know to be bad in a transmission we know to be bad with identical parts. It makes to sense to me. At this point the only thing that would make me happy would be for Ford to abandon the apocalyptically horrible Dual Clutch Transmission and replace it with one that actually functions reliably. It is clear from the number of complaints on this board and others that there is something horribly wrong with these transmissions.

Most un-reliable car on 4 wheels
By 2012 Ford Focus

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ford blew it with this car. Due to my wife's job we buy a car ever other year. This car has left us stranded 4 times with only 70k miles. There stupid dual clutch design transmission in this car has been nothing but problems. Car slips out of gear, sometimes wont even back up, makes chattering shifting noise while sitting in park. Took it to 2 Ford dealerships. AutoNation Ford technician in Katy said the best thing for me to do is run from this car and sell it. (This is after the third transmission reprogram). Finally took to Joe Meyers Ford they ripped me off and said faulty shift solenoid Charged $500 (after I told them I don't believe this is the problem because car runs fine for about a week after re-program), while still in shop then they said "Oh faulty transmission computer". Ford replaced computer under warranty. Now 1 month later car has a roaring noise coming from inside the transmission ( no its no the hub bearings). If Ford would have left the hydraulic style transmission in this car it would be a great car everything else is nice. New transmission is $3,101.02 screw that. THANKS FORD FOR MAKING JUNK!!!!!! YOU MUST BE SO PROUD. Go on Craigslist and look at how many 2012-2014 Ford Focus there are. Save yourself a headache and do not buy. I guess its true Foreign cars are better then Ford cars. RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN!

Transmission will kill you
By Tony

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The redesigned transmission for this model is completely flawed. Been stuck on the freeway and unable to even shift my car into neutral to move it two separate times. The Ford delearships have refused or been unable to permanently fix it. The resale value of the car is now garbage and i will have to eat the cost for trade-in. My car was bought certified pre-owned with 6k miles on it and had transmission problems from the beginning. Ford has lied to its consumers about this car and its going to get people killed. Dont buy and stop considering this car..

Dangerous transmission
By cheryl

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus in November 2015. I was very happy because my old car was a 2000 Ford Focus. It is very sporty and nice looking. I was driving on HWY 30 from the grocery store when it just stopped. Everyone behind me was honking and whizzing by me. I was scared to death. I didn't know what to do. I prayed to God and then I got the idea to shut it off and re start it. It was very slow and I got a notice that I had a transmission malfunction and to fix it NOW. I could have been killed. Ford please take care of this problem.

Two thumbs down for ford!
By David

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been sent in for transmission issues 4 times since first purchased new in 2012. Everything from grinding slipping and rolling backwards no repairs every worked just told that's how it works , now at 56k miles the transmission quit completely! Radio repairs multiple times now it just flashes " indexing " car should have been recalled. Nobody in their right mind would own or purchase this unit.