Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't bother
By km09

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had nothing but trouble since the first month I've purchased this vehicle. The clutch has been replaced 5 times.. yes, the clutch in an automatic transmission. The car shudders, and shakes and doesn't properly drive and hasn't since I purchased it brand new with only 7 miles on it. Please view other options before Ford gives you the run around too. Oh and the seats- the "mesh" option is terrible. Water will stain them and Ford will charge close to $100 to clean them, nothing can really clean them.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of it.

Poor choice!!!
By ericarras_81

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a used focus hatchback and at first thought it was a fun ride, that is until it began to give me problems after 2 months of driving it. First, the keys wouldn't lock my car, then the car would jerk when I would come to a stop or switch gears. Afterwards, I would put the key into the ignition but it wouldn't start and after $750 and a week later, the dealership fixed some wires "causing the problem". I only had it a week and its at the dealership again because the car died at an intersection and even though it was in drive and on it would not kick into gear. They are "ordering the part" to fix it but Im ready to trade in. Buying a ford was a huge mistake!! Never again!!

Favorite Features

It was fun at first and a fast zippy car but that doesn't make up for all the issues its having.

Suggested Improvements

Improve everything!!!

Don't EVER buy a Ford vehicle
By noo2

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the worst ford I've owned. I'm not a new customer to Ford and I will NEVER buy another Ford again. The focus sounds like its about to break down constantly. I would rather drive a used beat up 1996 POS than this BRAND NEW focus. I've brought it in for multiple issues, not just the transmission, and I'm so tired of dealing with them and the same response. Ford may be saving money by not fixing any of their mistakes, but they sure as hell are losing a lot of customers and future clients for it. Word of mouth spreads faster and more efficiently than any deal they can create to help fix this.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

I will NEVER buy another Ford
By Karen Ross

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

In 2011 I bought a Ford Fiesta - within a few weeks after it started jerking and shuddering on acceleration. Long story short - after 3 repairs I was going to have it declared a lemon. The dealership wanted to put me in a Ford Focus and give me a good "deal" after all my headaches. I bought the 2012 Focus and started having the same issues - shaking, jerking and shuddering. The transmission control was replaced last year and now having the same issues. Took the car in and they said they need to replace the transmission control unit again but it will be 12-16 weeks before the part comes in because there is a huge waiting list - duh. Fix it right the first time. I am done with Ford.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the vehicle - compact and sporty. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Get these vehicles off the road! The service tech kept telling me its safe to drive, but they do not have to get behind the wheel every day and feel it shaking and not moving when other cars are speeding up behind you. It is "safe" until its not and unfortunately someone is going to get hurt. It is unfortunate Ford is not taking more steps to get this fixed.

Great on gas, but improvements needed
By Adam Holly

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent power, but Ford needs to put a 6 speed manual in it! 3000 RPM cruising at 115 km/h is absolutely absurd. The MTX-75 needs to be retired. Fun facts about the S: No low washer fluid indicator, and you cannot turn the traction control off on the S, short of pulling the fuses for it under the hood. Phenomenal on gas, however. Even with winter tires, it's not great in the snow, partially due to the low ground clearance. Tuxedo black metallic paint is gorgeous when clean! The build quality is good, save for the stupid mud flaps; I've lost both front ones because the clips don't hold, and the rear ones are barely hanging on. Only been in the shop once for a wheel bearing when new (warranty)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, quick, great on gas. Decent stereo. Air Conditioning works well.

Suggested Improvements

Traction control switch Low washer fluid light (hell, my 15 year old Grand Am had it) Adjust gear ratios or put a 6spd manual in