Saving gas (and the planet?)
By ridgerider on
2010 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
After spending several weekends in rental Foci, I decided to "downsize" to a 2010 Focus. Nine months and 9,000 trouble free miles later, I'm happy I did. The Focus is much quieter and smoother riding in its third generation, much like a mid-size car, only more nimble and easier on gas. Fuel economy was a major consideration in my purchase. Driven sensibly, the Focus gets about 20% better gas mileage than the EPA sticker. I've been lucky in all my other vehicles to even match the EPA figures, let alone routinely beat them, so I am quite pleased. The trunk isn't massive but it is big enough, and the folding seat backs create a space big enough for my road bike.
Favorite Features
Sync, although glitchy at times, is a nice feature. It's nice to see the titles of my iPod songs displayed in the dash, and I never have to scramble to fish out my phone when it rings. AdvanceTrac stability control is standard. I don't think I've ever triggered it, but it's nice to know it's there
Suggested Improvements
More soft touch surfaces and less glossy plastic, please. The Focus has plenty of leg room for my 6 ft. frame, but it feels a touch narrow. The next generation will have a five- door hatch. I would have purchased that model or a wagon had they been available.
By ridgerider
on 12/20/11 13:39 PM (PST)

An update...at 21K and still trouble free. My only complaint is the Kumho tires are getting noisy. I will upgrade these once they wear out.