2010 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Go kart handling, go kart fit

2010 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Go kart handling, go kart fit and finish.
By mitsu3kgto on

2010 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a cheap fuel savvy commuter and it was just that. I've had the car from new and now have 70,000 miles on it. It has never broken down and I have averaged 30mpg during my ownership. I drive this car extremely rough and demand a lot more out of it than it can really put up with, so for that it wins some points. I bought this car knowing I wouldn't have it for life, I changed the oil every 10,000 miles. The original brakes were terrible and vibrated from the beginning so I swapped them out, as with the tires that wore out at 20k and were god awful in the rain. I slapped some expensive tires on and it made the car much better overall.

The premium sound with sync in this car is amazing. Sync can be glitchy at times but nothing unbearable. The handling in this car is so much fun. It's light weight and I have the manual so with some gear work it can be peppy. 30mpg no matter how hard I drove it. I did spend a tank being extremely cautious and pulled 38mpg highway, and that was closely drafting semi's at 65mph.

Factory brakes are awful. Factory tires are awful. Car squeaks and makes all kinds of noises over bumps. Poor fit and finish. My biggest gripe from day one in this car is the manual transmission. It was stiff when I first bought it and thought it would loosen up as I drove it. If you shift too quick it grinds, struggles finding the gears and after 70,000 miles I think it honestly comes down to a terrible clutch and master cylinder. When I start the car up in the cold I have to pump to clutch several times to get it into gear. And I have heard the throw out bearing on the clutch rattle at idle since 2000 miles on it. Low quality but you get what you pay for.
By wingerrr
on 06/13/14 20:42 PM (PDT)

Drafting makes such a big difference it's a bit like cheating; not really indicative of real MPG. I do it and can see the pronounced difference in the MPG reading from the Ultragauge I have installed.